Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Problem description: The other night when playing Overwatch my computer just quit. It turned off completely with no warning. When I try to turn it on now, the fans spin, the motherboard lights up, the fans light up, but I can't even get to the motherboard splash screen. Nothing happens. The custom MysticLight LED setting on my motherboard has gone from blue back to default green. The EZ Debug light for "CPU" is lit up, but everything I've read indicates that that light can mean RAM or CPU or the motherboard itself failing. The motherboard speaker is connected and makes no beeps. I did notice that the case fan above the CPU had at some point failed. No clue how long it has been failed. The other 4 case fans work though.

Attempted fixes: I have:
- Checked all connections
- re-seated RAM
- re-seated CPU
- Checked all connections again
- pulled out both sticks of RAM, and tried them individually in each socket
- Reset the CMOS
- Removed and tested the power supply (it's main 12v was fluctuating lazily between 12.2 and 12.3, which is within acceptable thresholds so far as I know)
- Removed GPU and tried to start using onboard graphics
- Removed everything except RAM, CPU, and PSU

Recent changes: None. Built this computer 1 year 2 months ago.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

System specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
MOBO: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8)
GPU: Zotac Gaming Geforce RTX 2060
Hard Drives: One WD Blue 1TB, one Seagate Barricuda 2TB, one WD 250GB SSD (my boot drive)

My concerns:
- I don't mind buying a new CPU, but I'd upgrade in the process, which would require updating my bios to support a Ryzen 5 3600. Could I do that without a working computer? That looks dumb as I read it, but i'm curious.
- If the MOBO is bad, and I put a new CPU in it, will it gently caress my new CPU?
- From Googling I can see that the symptoms of a failed CPU and failed MOBO are roughly the same. I just want to know which one to replace, if I need to replace one at all. In 10+ years of building my own I've always been able to fix them, but I've never had this issue. Could it be a corrupted BIOS? I've never had to flash a BIOS and is it terrifying? I'm just super anxious.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Edit: RMA'd the motherboard because I had a two year warranty instead of the one year I thought. Thanks MSI!

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU