Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riddlemeright
Mar 28, 2003
The Riddler
Anyone use a Teamviewer alternative they really like? This is for a small office (less than 10 computers). Teamviewer got a lot pricier than I recalled!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Riddlemeright posted:

Anyone use a Teamviewer alternative they really like? This is for a small office (less than 10 computers). Teamviewer got a lot pricier than I recalled!

We use built-in windows 10 remote desktop for Autocad and Revit work (even some realtime 3D browsing) and it's pretty good... I have around 25 people working remotely in an architecture office - the people with the most issues seem to be people who don't take my "use an ethernet cable" advice seriously :D
the thing i really wish i could do was power up computers that shut down for some reason!

Riddlemeright
Mar 28, 2003
The Riddler

Guitarchitect posted:

We use built-in windows 10 remote desktop for Autocad and Revit work (even some realtime 3D browsing) and it's pretty good... I have around 25 people working remotely in an architecture office - the people with the most issues seem to be people who don't take my "use an ethernet cable" advice seriously :D
the thing i really wish i could do was power up computers that shut down for some reason!

Do you use static IPs? Or no-ip?

Separate note - I am hard wired and no matter what I do I can't get WOL to work.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Guitarchitect posted:

nvidia released some beta drivers for windows desktop RDP to let 3d acceleration work. Usually its a quadro feature but because of COVID they opened it up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/g05pgr/nvidia_have_end_users_with_nvidia_graphics_cards/

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
AnyDesk

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Riddlemeright posted:

Yeah TeamViewer is really just insanely expensive. I mean it's really loving good and definitely the cadillac option, but it's also really overkill and too pricey for small businesses and such unless it's like an Remote Management Computer sort of thing.

We've been using AnyDesk commercially. You really only need to license the computers that will be using it for connecting-to-another and can leave 'end-points' unlicensed if you want to, but it's not stupidly expensive anyways. It works well and i would recommend it.

I would advice against the built-in windows RDP just from a security point of view. One of our O&M computers that it had running was hacked through that because its' apparently stupidly easy to brute-force, although you can probably secure it better.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
We have teamviewer deployed company wide, it's pretty rad for 2020 since the client deployment can be updated via a centralized profile configuration. I update the profile settings for Intune group A, and they all update within a couple minutes.

At my last place we used ScreenConnect (it's called ConnectWise Control now) and I liked it a lot for inter-office connections. It was easy to search by computer name and logged in user and... some other criteria. Team Viewer has needed some tweaking. I don't have any experience on the system administration side with ConnectWise, but I've heard it's not great on the security. Keeping it within the building was not as big of a deal for the small shop I was in.

One cool thing about it was we were able to run powershell commands on the client PC so I was able to do some dinky poo poo like update the system time or see if some software package was even installed and running without having to interact with the user.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.
Splashtop is a cheaper alternative.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Seconding Anydesk. It works really really well with minimum fuss.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yup moved over to Anydesk (and Quick assist when appropriate).

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

SopWATh posted:

One cool thing about it was we were able to run powershell commands on the client PC so I was able to do some dinky poo poo like update the system time or see if some software package was even installed and running without having to interact with the user.

Wait what.

New job I started at last week uses ConnectWise. I spent 15 minutes remoted into a machine yesterday trying to adjust the time before I found the correct credentials to get admin. I definitely need to learn PowerShell, yikes.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Juat in case this wasn't for typical tech support, I've also found I like NoMachine too

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.
Splashtop, itiarian, tinypilot+VPN/tinypilot+tailscale/tinypilot+nginx reverse proxy+a domain name(not recommended without a netsec background and even then not really recommended, tailscale+putty, hypervisor+VPN/hypervisor+tailscale, there are millions of options.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
tightvnc =D

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Put a ilo on that bitxh op!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Anydesk is great and we find a whole lot less lag compared to teamviewer which routinely makes me want to eat my computer