Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
*I originally posted this elsewhere but was told that this may be a more appropriate forum. *

In light of recent events I, like many other people around the country have taken it upon myself to go out and document the current wave of protests, rallies and civil unrest. I do this apolitically and just want to show whats going on on the ground within the context of this movement. The mainstream media has been lackluster in this regard and I feel that this is the duty of every able bodied citizen journalist who has the means to do so.

So far we've been doing our footage with an Android smartphone and tripod along with a shotgun mic but we want to upgrade our game and improve our equipment.

What we really want is a cheap DSLR for streaming and eventual Youtube upload that can pair with a smartphone for live Twitch or Youtube/Instagram/Twitter streaming. Alternately we would like a way to improve our ability to livestream footage over our phone if using it as a WiFi hotspot is not an option. Steadycam mounts, microphones, lights etc.. In addition we're thinking about adding a lavalier microphone that we can pair with an additional mic for ambient sound so that interviews are coherent. Most importantly we need something that can live stream over a cellular network to one of our platforms. The current trend with following these events is live footage so that is our priority over image quality. We may eventually mount two devices simultaneously for this purpose if we end up doing a lot of edited footage. As of now we're basically on the ground via Twitch and archiving our data for later use.

Any other gear suggestions are welcome. I'd like to share the findings in this thread with the protest threads in GBS and C-SPAM in case there are any other budding citizen journalists out there that want to participate. My channel has so far been one of the only voices on the ground in SF/Oakland and I want to share this knowledge with other Goons who are willing to go to ground to document this important piece of American history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Protesters who've been identified from photos/videos have a habit of dissappearing or being discovered dead in their burned-down car. Go take pictures of something else

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

brand engager posted:

Protesters who've been identified from photos/videos have a habit of dissappearing or being discovered dead in their burned-down car. Go take pictures of something else

I make a point not to film people without masks. I also do not film people engaging in criminal activity. Live streaming had been a big part of showing the world this movement and is the best way to ensure that your footage isn't destroyed by the police.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

James Woods posted:

I do this apolitically

ahahaha

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
The police don't care what your intent is when using your photos.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
Ok mutherfuckers. In actuality I'm looking for a camera that can live stream donkey shows in Tijuana. It's a rough job but somebody's gotta do it. I just felt that pretending to be an independent journalist covering the greatest racial tension we've seen in a generation was an easier pill to swallow.

That said is there anyone who has any actual technical information in the photography subforum?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Streaming is the hard part here. Most recent cameras have a wifi function to transfer images to or to allow control from another device. Using the camera as a webcam however usually requires some kind of tethering solution.

In addition, I'm going to guess that your prime requirements are size, ruggedness, and cost. There's not much on the market that's going to beat your phone on those metrics. Maybe a GoPro. Certainly not a scrub tier DSLR. If you want streaming out of the box and interchangeable lenses, then you are probably looking at either a Panasonic GH5 or an Olympus EM5 III. But those are about a grand each without lenses, and (I believe) can only do streaming over HDMI.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
there's gear for streaming over cellular from an HDMI feed but it's generally expensive https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Wireless-A-V-Transmitters-Receivers/ci/16427/N/3907816634 on top of however many other thousands of dollars you end up needing to spend on a camera body + lenses

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

Streaming is the hard part here. Most recent cameras have a wifi function to transfer images to or to allow control from another device. Using the camera as a webcam however usually requires some kind of tethering solution.

In addition, I'm going to guess that your prime requirements are size, ruggedness, and cost. There's not much on the market that's going to beat your phone on those metrics. Maybe a GoPro. Certainly not a scrub tier DSLR. If you want streaming out of the box and interchangeable lenses, then you are probably looking at either a Panasonic GH5 or an Olympus EM5 III. But those are about a grand each without lenses, and (I believe) can only do streaming over HDMI.

I think upgrading the phone is the direction we're going to go. This article was helpful and I'm curious about the idea of using multiple phones to cast. Large crowds overloading the network has been an issue in the past.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.epiphan.com/blog/mobile-live-streaming-over-cellular/amp/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah if you just want to live stream these events then your own cell phone is going to be your best bet. Get a good case on it for protection and you can always carry a separate mic/audio recorder and sync up sound later. Hand-held stabilizers for cell phone video can be had for around $100 pretty easily.

Once you go to using another device (mirrorless camera, hand-held video cam, etc) you're going to need to tether it to some manner of wifi network, either through cords to a computer or maybe some kind of awkward connection to wifi. Dealing with area cell phone towers getting overloaded is going to be an issue whether you're just using a cell phone or some manner of hot spot, since that's what those connect to as well. That's probably just throwing good money after bad at this point, so I'd just stick to a good cell phone with a stabilizer.

Whether or not wading into the middle of riots/protests with a cell phone or DSLR/Mirrorless camera is a good idea in general is a whole different story because

MrBlandAverage posted:

The police don't care what your intent is when using your photos.

and you obviously run the risk of something happening to you, your gear, or both, but it's your decision.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

James Woods posted:

Ok mutherfuckers. In actuality I'm looking for a camera that can live stream donkey shows in Tijuana. It's a rough job but somebody's gotta do it. I just felt that pretending to be an independent journalist covering the greatest racial tension we've seen in a generation was an easier pill to swallow.

That said is there anyone who has any actual technical information in the photography subforum?

Theres like 500x more posts about gear than actual photos and most of them are of a dog or bird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

larper posted:

Theres like 500x more posts about gear than actual photos and most of them are of a dog or bird

Most of the actual photographers wandered off years ago also how dare you dog pictures own