Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
Problem description: New build, no VGA from card or on-board. W-LED on the motherboard is a solid white VGA

Attempted fixes: I've uninstalled every component and reseated everything. I've tried with and without the video card in. I've tried two monitors. I've updated the BIOS.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem? Brand new system

--

Operating system: Haven't gotten that far....

System specs: Intel i7-10700k, Asus ROG Strix z490 e-Gaming. 2x8gb G. Skill TridentZ. Sapphire RX580. 750w Power Supply.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

That board has an error code readout thingy on the bottom left, does that show any codes?

raej
Sep 25, 2003

DOOMocrat posted:

That board has an error code readout thingy on the bottom left, does that show any codes?

A2 "IDE Connect"

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

It sounds like it's trying to detect a HDD that's not registering; see if it will POST to BIOS with no drives connected?

raej
Sep 25, 2003

DOOMocrat posted:

It sounds like it's trying to detect a HDD that's not registering; see if it will POST to BIOS with no drives connected?

I tried the M.2 in both slots, and removed it. No change. I found a speaker to listen to BIOS, and it's a long beep, followed by three short beeps. In the manual, this is No VGA Detected.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

You should be getting onboard video after a BIOS reset with the card removed. If you're not even getting that, I'd say the motherboard is the most likely culprit to be DOA.

Edit: Thinking about this i've seen similar behavior on intel platforms when the board is grounding out for some reason. Check your standoffs, make sure you don't have any extra in, and that everything's secure and grounded down.

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 24, 2020

raej
Sep 25, 2003

DOOMocrat posted:

You should be getting onboard video after a BIOS reset with the card removed. If you're not even getting that, I'd say the motherboard is the most likely culprit to be DOA.

Edit: Thinking about this i've seen similar behavior on intel platforms when the board is grounding out for some reason. Check your standoffs, make sure you don't have any extra in, and that everything's secure and grounded down.

The only thing I can think of is that I have an 8-pin CPU power hooked up, but not the optional 4-pin. I've ordered a new PSU that has all the pins necessary and it should come in tomorrow. If that fails, It's mobo replacement time :(

raej
Sep 25, 2003

Looks like it was the missing 4 pin on the motherboard. New PSU got everything up and running. DRAM is showing 2133mhz in Windows, but I think I can get it to its natural 4000mhz with some fiddling. Thanks for helping with the troubleshooting, DOOMocrat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011