Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Queen Combat posted:

http://breadnroses.net

It's been around since January or so, has an establish userbase, was created back during the big simultaneous c-spam and trans goon castoff by the taxman. Varied topics, from C-SPAM style politics, shitposting, queer stuff, furry stuff, games, electronic projects, lets plays, etc.

There's a paywall post-registration, so if you register and don't wanna pay just feel free to DM me here or on discord at queen_combat#7777 for approvals after you reg and we'll push it through, or pay tenbux for immediate access (I'll be up all day).

We've had an 800-person, six-month-long beta test that's gone successfully, it runs xenforo, you can ignore threads and subforums as well as people (completely silent ignoring as well), and has a good backend setup. Also lmao today's registrations have quickly reached parity with lowtax's patreon, so we're set up for the next year or so if you're wondering about funding at all (and that's just the people that have CHOSEN to pay).

Anyway, the big thing is to choose what you like. Not saying bnr is the end-all be-all. But if you're gay/leftist/furry/horny/comfy/classic/pepsi/tormp/angry, maybe give it a look. No invite code needed or any of that.

E: and also nobody is loving a loving 2020 nissan or pies or any of that poo poo with the funds. nobody paid, all volunteer including the owners.

If I don't want to pay to check it out, but then later want to pay is that a possibility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Yup! We're approving all aps now, theres a donation button if you want to use it later.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm glad people are making alternatives but I'll never get used to anything that isn't the exact SA layout :(

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
Is it possible just to buy Kyanka out? His income stream is decimated and the rights here are the only thing of value that I imagine is left.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That is the ideal solution and the first one being worked on. Lowtax leaving and the forums remaining otherwise as-is would be great. Remember it's been less than a day, we're not abandoning ship yet because the hope is it won't be necessary. If he won't budge, we'll have to do something else. Going to a bunch of Discords is the option nobody wants, but it's better than losing the community entirely.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also I talked to Cyrano and decided that SAL and A/T are basically the same bunch of nerdlingers, so making a specific A/T discord isn't necessary. The SAL one is here: https://discord.gg/9d42Ur

Channels will get sorted out for A/T topics like history. Again, really hoping this isn't where we end up but it's the easiest backup option so we got it running for now. In a week I hope we're all back to normal forums shitposting and not worrying about discord in either sense of the word.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

That is the ideal solution and the first one being worked on. Lowtax leaving and the forums remaining otherwise as-is would be great. Remember it's been less than a day, we're not abandoning ship yet because the hope is it won't be necessary. If he won't budge, we'll have to do something else. Going to a bunch of Discords is the option nobody wants, but it's better than losing the community entirely.

Good luck.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Queen Combat posted:

http://breadnroses.net

It's been around since January or so, has an establish userbase, was created back during the big simultaneous c-spam and trans goon castoff by the taxman. Varied topics, from C-SPAM style politics, shitposting, queer stuff, furry stuff, games, electronic projects, lets plays, etc.

There's a paywall post-registration, so if you register and don't wanna pay just feel free to DM me here or on discord at queen_combat#7777 for approvals after you reg and we'll push it through, or pay tenbux for immediate access (I'll be up all day).

We've had an 800-person, six-month-long beta test that's gone successfully, it runs xenforo, you can ignore threads and subforums as well as people (completely silent ignoring as well), and has a good backend setup. Also lmao today's registrations have quickly reached parity with lowtax's patreon, so we're set up for the next year or so if you're wondering about funding at all (and that's just the people that have CHOSEN to pay).

Anyway, the big thing is to choose what you like. Not saying bnr is the end-all be-all. But if you're gay/leftist/furry/horny/comfy/classic/pepsi/tormp/angry, maybe give it a look. No invite code needed or any of that.

E: and also nobody is loving a loving 2020 nissan or pies or any of that poo poo with the funds. nobody paid, all volunteer including the owners.

This looks promising if SA does go away, I hope it doesn’t, the community here is amazing, it’s just a shame the landlord Lotax isn’t.

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all
I posted this in another thread but I'm the co-founder of Discourse:

https://www.discourse.org/

It's pretty different than SA's fork of vBulletin but does have a lot of more modern features. Maybe with some customization we could make it feel less jarring.

The biggest thing is a forum this size will use a fair amount of bandwidth/resources, but as a long time goon I'd be more than willing to figure out how to make that as transparent as possible and we'd set up a patreon or other membership service to cover costs.

Ideally this wouldn't be necessary and Lowtax hands over the keys to the forum and we make the existing stuff work without him, but I have a feeling he's going to go down with this ship. I don't see myself joining one of the many discords but if someone wants to keep my email around robin.ward [at] discourse.org we (or @eviltrout on twitter, my DMs are open) please do contact me if we need to figure out how to set up a new forum in the future.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Me too. There was no debate about it. I wish I could say we had a solution. But it's been like twelve hours so I'm not losing hope yet.

you know as hosed up as this has been i've really been encouraged by how the community is pulling together despite all the chaos. Everybody is of one mind and working towards the same goal.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

requested blanking

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 25, 2020

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Also I talked to Cyrano and decided that SAL and A/T are basically the same bunch of nerdlingers, so making a specific A/T discord isn't necessary. The SAL one is here: https://discord.gg/9d42Ur

Channels will get sorted out for A/T topics like history. Again, really hoping this isn't where we end up but it's the easiest backup option so we got it running for now. In a week I hope we're all back to normal forums shitposting and not worrying about discord in either sense of the word.

looks like the invite is invalid. oh well!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

requested blanking

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 25, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Squalid posted:

They expire. Try this one: https://discord.gg/AjAGTp

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 25, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Squalid posted:

I think this one should work for the next 24 hours: https://discord.gg/PhMKCE

Edit: Whoops, should have refreshed the thread. Oh well, now there's two. :shrug:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Is fine, doesn't invalidate anything.

I blanked posts where I may have been making promises I can't keep because I'm not in charge of anything, sorry. Watch announcements for actual information.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Is fine, doesn't invalidate anything.

I blanked posts where I may have been making promises I can't keep because I'm not in charge of anything, sorry. Watch announcements for actual information.

I know the answer is likely to be "It's been a day dude, chill out", but is there _any_ info you can share? Even "Lowtax hasn't said anything"?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Not really. I know there is discussion going on among the admins. I'm also trying to hold down a full time job on top of everything else so I'm not keeping up on it that much tbh.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Evil Trout posted:

I posted this in another thread but I'm the co-founder of Discourse:

https://www.discourse.org/

It's pretty different than SA's fork of vBulletin but does have a lot of more modern features. Maybe with some customization we could make it feel less jarring.

The biggest thing is a forum this size will use a fair amount of bandwidth/resources, but as a long time goon I'd be more than willing to figure out how to make that as transparent as possible and we'd set up a patreon or other membership service to cover costs.

Ideally this wouldn't be necessary and Lowtax hands over the keys to the forum and we make the existing stuff work without him, but I have a feeling he's going to go down with this ship. I don't see myself joining one of the many discords but if someone wants to keep my email around robin.ward [at] discourse.org we (or @eviltrout on twitter, my DMs are open) please do contact me if we need to figure out how to set up a new forum in the future.

That's be great, if the new forum ends up happening.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I registered on bnr. It’s just gonna mega suck to not have one place to discuss politics, Mac hardware, stuff in Denver, Seinfeld quotes, parenting, Nintendo Ring Fit, Venture Bros, programming, motorcycles...

The diversity of these forums are what make them great and going to a forum offshoot of CSPAM, but a discord for animation where I only care about parts of one channel, and a discord for A/T...

gently caress Lowtax.

I joined after getting live updates as 9/11 happened at my friend’s house. And have gotten better information on COVID and BLM here than anywhere else. Same for basically every other major cultural event of the last eighteen years, holy poo poo.

Both of my careers, many advancements in them, and many of my RL friends were discussed or made here. I’ve literally been on these forums for most of my life.

Like I just got to speak at a tech conference that took place entirely inside Animal Crossing because a goon I didn’t know told a goon I did know he was doing it and something you’d think I’d hear about through tech channels I actually heard about through this place.

Riven fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 25, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, the SA community has been an important part of my life too, that's why we all want to preserve it.

Anyway I'm not your supervisor I won't tell you where to post, I won't end up in BNR since among other reasons I have been a mod here so I expect they'd kick me out immediately.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Baronjutter posted:

I'm glad people are making alternatives but I'll never get used to anything that isn't the exact SA layout :(

Honestly, I felt the same. So yeah, I'm the guy that threw his hat into the ring with Something-Waffle (I know it's a dumb name!).

Anyway, I'm trying to get a layout similar to SA because, well, it's what I'm used to.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Welp. That ended well. Back to posting.

I'll leave this thread open for a day or two so ForumsChat doesn't have to infest every thread, you can do it here.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Grand Fromage posted:

Welp. That ended well. Back to posting.

I'll leave this thread open for a day or two so ForumsChat doesn't have to infest every thread, you can do it here.

So that Jeffrey of YOSPOS thing is genuine? Kinda hard to take seriously being YOSPOS and ending with a Goatse.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Decius posted:

So that Jeffrey of YOSPOS thing is genuine? Kinda hard to take seriously being YOSPOS and ending with a Goatse.

I know very little about admins and mods but apparently he's widely regarded as good yes.

As for goatse, eh. I'm not a fan but there are worse things.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Just for the discords that are still running, and only if anyone's interested, I made a bot that supports users creating new threads under a special channel category.

The code is freely available here (Although please disregard my deadname lol)

And the link to add it is here.

If anyone here starts using it throw me a line for improvements/bugs :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Decius posted:

He's been the back end programmer for the boards for some time, and announcing you're taking over the place with a most bannable image as large as possible is just good form