Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

MJeff posted:

They made the freaking finals less than a decade ago!

And quickly embarrassed themselves in 5 games so I don’t understand how that makes them such an undeserving powerhouse.

They went hard into a rebuild and got very luck but the “stop the Rangers” nonsense makes me laugh because they have spent most of the last 25 years being quite bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

WeaponX posted:

And quickly embarrassed themselves in 5 games so I don’t understand how that makes them such an undeserving powerhouse.

They went hard into a rebuild and got very luck but the “stop the Rangers” nonsense makes me laugh because they have spent most of the last 25 years being quite bad

14 playoff appearances in 25 seasons (including 8 out of 9 seasons and the 9th coming down to a head-to-head shootout loss), two division titles, several trips beyond the first round, and only one last place finish in-division?

edit- Maybe it's because I started watching in 2005-06 but my immediate perception over that span is, more often than not, they've been a solid team.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

WeaponX posted:

eh they didn't really embarrass themselves. A bunch of those games went to OT and the Rangers led in a bunch of them going into the 3rd period as well, it was closer than "5 games!" would seem as a bounce here or there could have made it a longer series. LA was better but the Rangers didn't exactly get blown out either.

Then AV and Sather went and hosed it up trying to overhaul the D with a bunch of lovely players and AV went hard into some indecipherable system and then complained about having a lack of talent after he was part of the process of acquiring said talent.

Now he's probably gonna with a cup with Philly SO gently caress IT BRING ON THE TOP PICKS

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

WeaponX posted:

I mean if you can't understand why a Senators fan is annoyed that they keep getting hopscotched in the draft, I dunno, man.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

14 playoff appearances in 25 seasons (including 8 out of 9 seasons and the 9th coming down to a head-to-head shootout loss), two division titles, several trips beyond the first round, and only one last place finish in-division?

edit- Maybe it's because I started watching in 2005-06 but my immediate perception over that span is, more often than not, they've been a solid team.

They didn’t make the playoffs for 7 years before that.

Look I’m not saying they have been bottom of the barrel (or that many other teams wish they had their success) but they have 1 Stanley cup in 80 years - it’s not like loving Pittsburgh got the 1st or something.

MJeff posted:

I mean if you can't understand why a Senators fan is annoyed that they keep getting hopscotched in the draft, I dunno, man.

You are right about this, I hosed that up.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

CBJSprague24 posted:

Most Rangers fans are scarred because of that stretch from 1997 to 2004 where all of their "youth" was shipped off to try to bring in more and more over the hill vets and star players and drafting and player development wasn't considered important at all and they just tried to throw more and more money at the problem until eventually the lockout season and salary cap made them start getting poo poo together. That coincided with the emergence of Lundqvist and surrounding Jagr with some buddies and they dragged the Rangers back to respectability from 2005 until recently. Most it was Lundqvist doing the dragging as the Rangers have never really put together a true powerhouse team that you could say is kind of complete from top to bottom. That 2014 team was maybe the closest but no one expect that at all and thought the Rangers were going to be terrible that year, they looked like poo poo out of the game, until suddenly things started clicking.

That said they still kinda rode on Lundqvist's shoulders most of the time

e: and like, I think Derek Stepan is the most recent Rangers forward draft pick in decades to score more than 50 points or some poo poo. They haven't drafted high very often and have hosed it up when they did, or wiffed on some obvious picks (what the gently caress Jessiman and McIlrath)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

what is it with MSG teams and rigged draft lotteries (even though now if the NBA were to rig a lottery for the Knicks, their inept management would screw it up)

anyways i don't mind NY winning the lottery, especially given that it's not Toronto or Pittsburgh. the NHL gets more press and eyeballs on it whenever the Rangers are good, and even though NY sports media has gotten more Knicks- and baseball-centric over the years if the Knicks keep being poo poo while the Rangers win with young players, it'll help the league as a whole.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

that said if you get the #2 overall one year and the #1 overall the next then expectations are that you better be a good fuckin' team sometime soon.

I hate to say that I don't follow draft poo poo as much as I used to but it seems like Lafreniere is considered to be an excellent #1 like Matthews level?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Anyway the Rangers don't need more wingers they should trade down to like 4th overall or somewhere thereabouts and grab a D-man or a center.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MJeff posted:

Anyway the Rangers don't need more wingers they should trade down to like 4th overall or somewhere thereabouts and grab a D-man or a center.

Abdelkader (a good Michigander) and the 4OA for 1OA. Who says no?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It's funny when Edmonton drafts a generational talent and squanders him entirely.

It's hilarious when New York drafts a generational talent on top of a stacked roster, and they're still going to gently caress up left and right.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

grassy gnoll posted:

It's funny when Edmonton drafts a generational talent and squanders him entirely.

It's hilarious when New York drafts a generational talent on top of a stacked roster, and they're still going to gently caress up left and right.

I mean the cup is pretty hard to win regardless of where you draft, Pittsburgh hosed it up for years for a stretch with Crosby and Malkin before they got their poo poo together once again

Rangers need to fix their left side of the defense and decide what to do with DeAngelo, find a center they can throw out there on the second line that can keep up with Panarin or whoever, and solidify their bottom six so it's not just garbage players like Lemieux and Howden

e: While I'm iffy on moving DeAngelo without appropriate compensation, if he could be moved for a legit 2C, a good depth player, and a draft pick that might workout better for the Rangers

youd for i
Mar 24, 2006

Please enter your password, then press pound
What is this feeling of pure joy? I can't believe NYR got the 1st. So happy, had to post.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Levitate posted:

I mean the cup is pretty hard to win regardless of where you draft, Pittsburgh hosed it up for years for a stretch with Crosby and Malkin before they got their poo poo together once again

Rangers need to fix their left side of the defense and decide what to do with DeAngelo, find a center they can throw out there on the second line that can keep up with Panarin or whoever, and solidify their bottom six so it's not just garbage players like Lemieux and Howden

e: While I'm iffy on moving DeAngelo without appropriate compensation, if he could be moved for a legit 2C, a good depth player, and a draft pick that might workout better for the Rangers

Deangleo can be moved for a bag of poo poo I don't care. He can't play defense.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Rangers really need a 2C now that isn’t Ryan Strome and apart from Fox and Trouba (and maybe lindgren) the entire defense needs to be rebuilt.

Who takes Staal?

Kale
May 14, 2010

At least it wasn't Edmonton again

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

Deangleo can be moved for a bag of poo poo I don't care. He can't play defense.

insane take, tony d owns

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

insane take, tony d owns

He stinks!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

gonna need someone to photoshop a rangers jersey on this:

Why would you put a rangers sweater on rod brind'amore doing his morning workout?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

fawning deference posted:

The Rangers have a core moving forward of Panarin, Zibanejad, Lafreniere, Kakko, Fox, and Shesterkin

:stare:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

WeaponX posted:

The Rangers really need a 2C now that isn’t Ryan Strome and apart from Fox and Trouba (and maybe lindgren) the entire defense needs to be rebuilt.

Who takes Staal?

Lindgren is fine I think. How long they can wait on doing something with the LD though is perhaps an issue. Can they wait for Miller to develop?
After his performance in the playoffs, though he was playing hurt I think, I wouldn't be surprised if they're shopping DeAngelo and Lundkvist could be a replacement on that right side...in another year.

Dunno, I said before, the Rangers are a team with a lot of talent but they're still trying to fill in the holes and figure out how to bring it all together

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
excellent, Lafreniere remains out east where I can not care about him

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

lol

https://twitter.com/corwinmc/status/1292965620712198145

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Levitate posted:

Lindgren is fine I think. How long they can wait on doing something with the LD though is perhaps an issue. Can they wait for Miller to develop?
After his performance in the playoffs, though he was playing hurt I think, I wouldn't be surprised if they're shopping DeAngelo and Lundkvist could be a replacement on that right side...in another year.

Dunno, I said before, the Rangers are a team with a lot of talent but they're still trying to fill in the holes and figure out how to bring it all together

I’m not sure if Miller is ready, but DeAngelo needs to get paid and let’s not forget Shattenkirk’s buyout jumps up from 1.5 mil to 6 mil next year.

I don’t have a lot of faith in the defense core outside young guys and Trouba and I’d like to see them blow it up. And please end the Brenden Smith experiment.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The upside of the Rangers cap crunch is that they have a good reason to not sign Ryan Strome to a sizable contract.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Krieder - Zib - Buch
Panarin - 2C FA - Fast
Lafreniere - Chytil - Kakko (yes plz)
McKegg - Howden - Gauthier

Pray that Seattle takes Staal and get in.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

wait when is the expansion draft

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Brutal.

Also gently caress the Rags.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Levitate posted:

wait when is the expansion draft

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

WeaponX posted:

Krieder - Zib - Buch
Panarin - 2C FA - Fast
Lafreniere - Chytil - Kakko (yes plz)
McKegg - Howden - Gauthier

Pray that Seattle takes Staal and get in.

Staal's contract is up before the expansion draft.

I've been lurking around alot on Armchair GM at CapFriendly and for some reason a lot of people over there seem to think that Staal to LAK is a thing that could happen. Probably because they're all morons, but I see it so much it's weird.

The main trades I want to see are Georgiev to SJS for Labanc (though if Hank retires then Georgie boy can stay, especially given our recent increase in offensive firepower), Andersson to EDM for Puljujuujuuarvi, and DeAngelo to whoever has a good 2C and needs some "defense". Maybe Strome to someone for some D too.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 11, 2020

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DeAngelo for Nuge (E5)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Oilers need forwards beyond the 4 that don't suck poo poo, not more 23 year old defensemen.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Oilers need forwards beyond the 4 that don't suck poo poo, not more 23 year old defensemen.

They need everything my man

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

OldSenileGuy posted:

Staal's contract is up before the expansion draft.

I've been lurking around alot on Armchair GM at CapFriendly and for some reason a lot of people over there seem to think that Staal to LAK is a thing that could happen. Probably because they're all morons, but I see it so much it's weird.

The main trades I want to see are Georgiev to SJS for Labanc (though if Hank retires then Georgie boy can stay, especially given our recent increase in offensive firepower), Andersson to EDM for Puljujuujuuarvi, and DeAngelo to whoever has a good 2C and needs some "defense". Maybe Strome to someone for some D too.

Can't see em getting any worthwhile return for Georgiev, just as every team with two decent goalies will be trying to dump one before the expansion draft.

Honestly, I'd just run with two good goalies.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

insane take, tony d owns

oh sure man f'real

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

DOOMocrat posted:

oh sure man f'real

IF anyone wants him for the offense and will pay for it, get him the gently caress off the Rangers. He's got one more year of RFA IIRC and shouldn't get anything more than his tender.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

DOOMocrat posted:

oh sure man f'real

the gently caress stats are you looking at, his 5v5 numbers are great for 2 1/2 years.

Matt Zerella posted:

IF anyone wants him for the offense and will pay for it, get him the gently caress off the Rangers. He's got one more year of RFA IIRC and shouldn't get anything more than his tender.

imagine being stapled to a one-eyed dan girardi for two years, carrying him, and then having this reputation. incredible.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

the gently caress stats are you looking at, his 5v5 numbers are great for 2 1/2 years.

I suspect those are the stats from the 3 games against Carolina where everyone looked like poo poo