Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Hey,

In the wake of the past week's upheaval a lot of people have expressed displeasure and anxiety with how opaque the wall between users and mods is. I agree that there isn't as much transparency and accountability as there could be.

I'm personally in a pretty nice spot, I think, in that BSS is relatively small and relatively chill. Still, I want to have a dedicated thread here where people can publicly ask questions, give comments, let me know what's working and what isn't, etc. While there's a lot I don't know and thus can't answer about forums-wide issues right now, I'm happy to answer any concerns you might have right now about BSS in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ur a big smelly doodoo head

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
no u

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Don’t have a lot of feedback for you, but think the biggest issue with this subforum is just not enough activity, so doing my part to :justpost:. The standard format comic chats seem to not have any real shitheads anymore, so everything is pretty chill and I think a lot of that has to do with the work you and X-O did to curate our community. Continuing to solicit feedback to prevent things from taking a turn is a good idea though.

My feedback is to other users who were previously lurking and showed up when SA was looking grim to find an off-site (and acknowledging that things are still not sorted). Assuming things sort themselves out and we get rid of Lowtax, post more. Even just whatever you’re reading in a given week can spark conversation. I’ll try to do the same.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
You’re doing great, I think like Jordan7hm said lurkers like me just need to post more.

I appreciated how quick the discord cropped up and how organised it was.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I agree with that. I'm enjoying the discord and it's wonderful to see old faces in it, but I hope once things simmer down that translates into a bit more activity on the forums proper. One thing that always strikes me is that BSS actually has a relatively high amount of people reading at any given time compared to similarly sized subforums, but threads move pretty slowly.

Hopefully once things shake out and Jeffrey can implement some changes, it'll be a bit easier to run mod challenges, giveaways, things like that without pestering admins all the time, so if anyone has ideas for such things I'm all ears. I liked seeing people make Glob's laksa earlier this month, so I was toying with the idea of a thread for comics inspired cooking with maybe av certs or a gang tag involved.

My other big practical concern is the issue of IKs. We've realized that one issue that's led to probems across the forums is too few eyes on too many posts and things slipping in between the cracks. I tried to read every single new post in BSS at first and still try to keep one eye on every thread, but the fact is that there are a lot of webcomics I don't keep up on, I know poo poo about Transformers or action figures, and any actions I take in those threads are those of an outsider to the community. If you participate in a large, busy thread and think you'd benefit from an IK please let me know, especially if you have a candidate in mind (please please please do not nominate yourself). In particular I am mulling over appointing a K6BD IK in the near future, because, although I love it as a comic, I am not super involved in the fandom and so sometimes intervening in an argument feels capricious or arbitrary.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Just dropping by to mention I was actually impressed with how you dealt with the situation and managed people into the Discord.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I think the transition to the Discord was handled well but strongly recommend shuttering it if the forums remain intact. SA has a long history of pushing back against offsite drama, which used to be IRC, because nothing wrecks things like cliques forming in an uncontrolled environment and then acting like a coordinated gang of bullies. For its many flaws the SA moderation has overall been pretty good about at least attempting to avoid favoritism/posting buddies (and yes, we can all name many failures but on the whole it's good) and seeming to engage with the greater moderation sphere - Discord has none of this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Let me make fun of Ms. Marvel's S&M outfit.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
What is an IK?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Anora posted:

What is an IK?

Idiot King. Old FYAD lingo to represent a user with some moderation powers. Usually only able to give 6 hours probations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Anora posted:

What is an IK?

An IK is basically someone with limited mod powers usually assigned to a specific large or busy thread. They can give out six-hour probes and give a mod a heads up if other stuff is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

How Wonderful! posted:

My other big practical concern is the issue of IKs. We've realized that one issue that's led to probems across the forums is too few eyes on too many posts and things slipping in between the cracks. I tried to read every single new post in BSS at first and still try to keep one eye on every thread, but the fact is that there are a lot of webcomics I don't keep up on, I know poo poo about Transformers or action figures, and any actions I take in those threads are those of an outsider to the community. If you participate in a large, busy thread and think you'd benefit from an IK please let me know, especially if you have a candidate in mind (please please please do not nominate yourself). In particular I am mulling over appointing a K6BD IK in the near future, because, although I love it as a comic, I am not super involved in the fandom and so sometimes intervening in an argument feels capricious or arbitrary.

Been thinking about this for a while and I’m not sure BSS needs an IK or really any more moderation then we’re currently seeing. In my limited experience your light touch is exactly what is needed. This isn’t the biggest forum, and I don’t think there is a need for a mod or IK 24/7.

I get that you don’t follow all threads and despite what some of the QCS crew may think,I don’t think a mod does. The goons can report and let things work themselves out - barring specific, egregious violations - which in my limited experience are few and far between.

But I’m just a dumb lurker who posts like once a week and never goes into most threads in any forum, so for all I know the Transformers thread is all about cybertron as a proxy for American Imperialism and plotting ways to overthrow the US government and thus needs an IK.

In short: no need for an IK, transformers is about American Imperialism, and I’m dumb.