Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'll pump em up tomorrow to those pressures and go out and have a feel.

Thanks mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Did the pressures as recommended. Feel even slippier. gently caress these tyres, I’m going back to OEM ones.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Consider riding lessons.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I knew it was coming! Never change, Slavvy!

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Is it also possible that since they're new tires, they'll still have the release compound on them?

That takes a while (100 miles?) to scrub off, I'd imagine it would take a little longer in cold temps too.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

It's been 10C, sunny, and I've done 200 miles on them...

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
13 C and just took my new-to-me 2005 Roaster out for the first spin. I swapped the stock exhaust back on (heat shields pending), swapped the slammed short shocks with no travel over to much taller shocks, replaced a filthy air filter, still have to flush the brakes and fix a slow valve stem leak, otherwise it’s in great condition.

epswing fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 21, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Great looking bike with nice pipes.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Tried to get Bob out to clean him.

Sat down, kicked up the kickstand.

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP HELP I AM BEING STOLEN BY A THIEF HELP HELP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!

Oh ffs, is the keyless fob in my pocket? Yes it is. Hmm. Maybe my wallet or something is loving with the radiowaves. Let me hang the fob on the front brake lever and try again.

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP HEEEEEELLLLLPPPP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!

Fucks sake.

Try again, but this time try starting it with the PIN code (I had programmed it in a year ago, thank goodness I had taken the time to do so).

Blip. Flooooop. wrum wrum wrum. ROARRRRRRRrrrrr.

Right, pin code works, bike starts up, it's not the bike's battery or something.

It's either the fob battery (why? I just replaced it with a fresh one last week) or there's something wrong with the bike's radio gubbins.

I go and get the spare fob and try again.

Right, so spare fob works, so regular fob must be either out of battery or buggered.

Replace the regular fob's battery.

Guess I must have had a dud Duracell CR2032 battery in the regular fob!

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Just found out that Yamaha stopped making the vmax, and it's basically impossible to find used since people love the drat things.

Looks like the next upgrade will indeed be an Indian dark chief, sad they canceled the vintage though. But definitely excited to start saving up and getting a new bike in the next few years (unless I find a major deal then oh nelly want to jump on it)

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

that would explain why my neighbor has two vmax’s. one of each generation. things look totally bonkers and we dont live in an area where 200hp bikes make much sense.

for reference I ride a canary yellow vespa around

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

yummycheese posted:

that would explain why my neighbor has two vmax’s. one of each generation. things look totally bonkers and we dont live in an area where 200hp bikes make much sense.

for reference I ride a canary yellow vespa around

This would normally be true but the purpose of a modern vmax is doing sick rolling burnouts, donuts and slides which can happen just about anywhere. Basically huge horsepower is far, far more fun when you aren't trying to use it for something we plebian as going fast

Britva Cutter
Jul 9, 2006

No, I'm in touch with humanity.
Update: I still love riding my cruiser

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Britva Cutter posted:

Update: I still love riding my cruiser

Motorcycle, checks out.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
hey so question, where do people look at for saddlebags. Looking to change mine out, they were original to my old vstar classic (the ones that came with my 1300 were absolute dog poo poo) but am thinking of getting a new set.

Britva Cutter
Jul 9, 2006

UCS Hellmaker posted:

hey so question, where do people look at for saddlebags. Looking to change mine out, they were original to my old vstar classic (the ones that came with my 1300 were absolute dog poo poo) but am thinking of getting a new set.

I have the same question but for a luggage box.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

"Saddlebags" meaning leather or cloth: a whole bunch of places ranging from cheap nauga to fully tassled rhinestone SCREAMING EAGLES. World is your oyster, buy on price. You can usually find them used, too.

Hard luggage is controlled by only a few players in the business so you wind up paying their price for both the mounts and cases. I have Givi monokey luggage and like it. Depending on the bike you may need to add a place to secure the Givi mount plate, you want something that has at least 3 metal-to-metal mount points to the subframe. If your bike already has some kind of metal luggage shelf on the rear a universal mount plate should work. You don't see hard luggage on the used market very often and if you do it's close to retail price.

Tusk is another manufacturer, they generally cater to the ADV market. There's also Kappa which IIRC is just a Givi brand.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
SW Motech has been great for me thus far. I have the advantage of living close to their showroom in PDX, but thanks to being a VERY German company, if they say it fits it definitely fits.

They’re more utilitarian/ADV focused than “leather with tassels,” so it depends on the look you’re going for.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

tusk only manufacturers ripoffs of mosko and giant loop’s designs so I’d prefer not to recommend their bags, but I’ve heard they’re stuff is great

mosko does partial refunds for crashed bags / apparel too which rules. they’re also local to the PNW

Britva Cutter
Jul 9, 2006

How would I know if I can reach forward controls easily?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Britva Cutter posted:

How would I know if I can reach forward controls easily?

Find a dealership in your area that has your make/model with forwards, and go sit on it.

Edit: Also to get a visual idea, plug your bike and height/inseam into http://cycle-ergo.com/

epswing fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 25, 2022

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sitting on a bike is not sufficient.

The Indian Scout felt super comfortable to just sit on with it's way forward controls; I needed to actually take it for a ride to figure out that it was a torture device to my lower back when actually riding it.

In contrast, my Fat Bob has more mid-set forward controls, which are far more comfortable. Only learned this after test riding one.

Test ride the bike you are interested in before buying it.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

epswing posted:

13 C and just took my new-to-me 2005 Roaster out for the first spin. I swapped the stock exhaust back on (heat shields pending), swapped the slammed short shocks with no travel over to much taller shocks, replaced a filthy air filter, still have to flush the brakes and fix a slow valve stem leak, otherwise it’s in great condition.

That's a great looking bike.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

dema posted:

That's a great looking bike.

Thanks! Clutch needs work and there are some minor scuffs/scratches, but yeah, had my eye out for one of these original Roadsters for years. Definitely my fav Sportster tank/trim, even if it is the 3.3 L

Britva Cutter
Jul 9, 2006

Thanks y’all. I was considering switching to forwards and that helps

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

So I've put another two hundred miles on the night dragons and the weather has been steadily getting a bit warmer.

I don't hate the tyres now, and they're beginning to feel ok.

Will still be changing back to stock Harley Dunlops when these are worn through. Which is what, 5000 miles?

Sorry Slavvy, I guess I don't like triangular profile tyres, probably more of a tub guy myself.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Lovely weather today, did a hundred miles on ol' Bobbo:

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
today i finished a 1550 mile six day trip on a rebel 500, AMA

i've ridden this exact bike before and thought it was kinda underwhelming at first but now i am a huge fan

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
oh, this was the route. i went through virginia beach on the way down and back through dc on the way up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How is your rear end

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
while i definitely got uncomfortable toward the end of the 300+ mile days it was more my knees that bothered me than anything else. i'm 6' and will say that the rebel is not a terrific long-distance option for taller folks but having to fuel up every 100 miles or so helped mitigate it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am very jealous, that looks like a cool route

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Myrtle Beach is my favorite place in the US

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

GriszledMelkaba posted:

:whitewater:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Goddamn nice. That looks really nice, I'm thinking of riding my bike sometime up to either the up or to Minnesota by where my in-laws live.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

the beach may be lovely but riding on 17 through north myrtle and myrtle was easily the shittiest part of the entire trip. awful traffic and just nonstop red lights every half mile was the worst

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

It's the most American place in America it's so trashy and without any sense of culture I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I used to live in Myrtle Beach. I wouldn't go back if you paid me.