Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I agree, the key to rain camping is having a large enough tarp (or two), that you can comfortably sit/cook/eat under it and protect your firewood. Learn how to tie a knot that you can pull tight and not have it loosen up (taut line hitch or truckers hitch). Knowing either of those knots is like working magic with most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I'm getting better at knots, but in the mean time this exists:

https://niteize.com/figure-9r-carabiner-rope-tightener

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

numberoneposter posted:

I'm getting better at knots, but in the mean time this exists:

https://niteize.com/figure-9r-carabiner-rope-tightener

Very cool, I'm not paying $25 to tie a tarp down tho

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We had no tarp (no trees there anyway) but it wasn't raining by afternoon post hike chill time. But buddy still just went in his tent, so I did all the drugs by myself :/

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Outrail posted:

Very cool, I'm not paying $25 to tie a tarp down tho

How's 5 bucks sound? https://www.rei.com/product/765515/nite-ize-figure-9-small-carabiner-rope-tightener-single

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

How many tie downs on a tarp?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Alright, fair point.

You could get away with two if you really wanted to avoid learning knots, but at that point I'd start practicing my trucker's hitch.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Friends, there’s an app called Knots 3D on the App Store (if you have an Android device maybe think about your life choices idunno). I’m not sure what it costs because I bought it 100 years ago, but it’s well worth the price. It’ll show you a whole heap of animated knots — and some background on them, as well as the ABOK ID — that you can practice at your desk with the cordage and carabiner you keep there.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

waffle enthusiast posted:

Friends, there’s an app called Knots 3D on the App Store (if you have an Android device maybe think about your life choices idunno). I’m not sure what it costs because I bought it 100 years ago, but it’s well worth the price. It’ll show you a whole heap of animated knots — and some background on them, as well as the ABOK ID — that you can practice at your desk with the cordage and carabiner you keep there.

It also exists for Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Daycare is closed for a day later this month, so I am going to use it as the time to take our 2 y.o. on his first night camping, as long as it isn't hot as gently caress around Mt. Laguna. Should be a fun experience.