Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Evil Robot posted:

Lectric and Ride1Up are super popular around here and have a good reputation.

I had the ride1up gravel roadster v2 and can highly recommend it if you have no hills in your area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

El Mero Mero posted:

My SO's employer just started offing 15% or $1000 discounts on ebikes, problem is that the approved bike vendors I've never even heard of before. The 4 vendors we can choose from are:

https://www.velotricbike.com/
https://lectricebikes.com/
https://dirwinbike.com/
https://ride1up.com/

We were about to plunk down $$$ for a Tern HSD or something similar (wanted something that could take a kids seat, was a step through, didn't weigh a ton, and that was made well).

Does anyone have any opinion about the above vendors? The incentive is really quite generous.
I don't love the choices you have, but I would recommend 1 or 2 things:
-Pick one with hydraulic disk brakes instead of mechanical. It isn't so much about braking power, but hydraulic brakes are self adjusting as the pad wears.
-Ask yourself if you want it to feel like riding a bicycle. If so, find something with some torque sensing instead of just cadence based pedal assist.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
It's nice as hell outside here so I finally charged up and whipped around a little bit. Got up to 36mph and realized I should probably buy a full face helmet.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

ddiddles posted:

I recently bought a motorcycle with the idea to get a hitch mount to tow it around with for camping stuff, but realized I like ebikes way more for a motorized two wheel sort of thing, and I really hate riding a motorcycle anywhere near cars.

Just so happened the most suggested long range ebike with some front suspension has a sale going on, so I'm selling the bike and waiting on this to arrive:

Turbo Vado 4.0, usually 4k, now at 2750, with that money saved i can buy one of their hilariously over priced extra batteries!

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-vado-40/p/206159?color=348371-206159

I have that same bike and love it. Fantastic price.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Barry posted:

I have that same bike and love it. Fantastic price.

I keep refreshing the order page, I feel like a kid waiting for christmas again. Thanks money!

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
I have an event on aventure and I love it, I also have a disabled seven year old who really wants to ride in the burley bee trailer I bought for him, but he won't keep his feet inside and he won't let me enclose the trailer. I was thinking about some sort of extension for the tow arm, but I'm having trouble finding a product for this... Anyone have advice? I don't want to jack up my son's foot on the rear wheel!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Would a skirt guard on a full coverage fender do what you're imagining?

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

cinnamon rollout posted:

I have an event on aventure and I love it, I also have a disabled seven year old who really wants to ride in the burley bee trailer I bought for him, but he won't keep his feet inside and he won't let me enclose the trailer. I was thinking about some sort of extension for the tow arm, but I'm having trouble finding a product for this... Anyone have advice? I don't want to jack up my son's foot on the rear wheel!

Some simple bar stock could extend the arm reasonably easily--I had to do something like that to clear the running boards on my cargo bike to attach a Thule. Held up towing two kids until they got too big to fit in there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Paint? And it’s matched?

This thread is too rich for my blood.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Platystemon posted:

Paint? And it’s matched?

Reminds me of my high school days when I bought a bicycle from magazine personal ad for 120€, and then paid 65€ to have it repainted in Alfa Romeos Grigio Nube. Used it for over 20 years before I bought my next bike, so I guess it was worth it.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Paint? And it’s matched?

Oddly the bike (Blix Packa Genie) just happens to be a close match to a leftover can of “we swear it’s not Craftsman” grey Krylon.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Got the bike today, can confirm mid drive torque sensor motors are absolutely worth spending the extra money, this feels like I'm actually in shape, instead of an incredibly out of shape guy getting pushed by a motor.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I like your tub. Is that just like a laundry basket you DIY'd on the back or is there something else going on there?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

No that’s a specialized SKU you can add to a bunch of their bikes.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

It's a cool cave pannier, probably would've been cheaper to just strap a trash can to the back, but it was in stock at the shop I picked up my bike and I'm bad with money.

It is really nice to have a small trunk you can throw anything into, and you can throw a drybag in there if its raining.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Range report on Specialized Creo alloy on eco mode

106kms 38% battery left, probably can get 170kms on another day

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

plunked down $ for a lectric xp 3.0 and just realized that it doesn't have a real torque sensor :saddowns:

how different is it from a model with a torque sensor? I've only ridden bikeshare e-bikes so I don't really know what to expect. I don't think I could get a different folding bike with a torque sensor for the price though

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

corona familiar posted:

plunked down $ for a lectric xp 3.0 and just realized that it doesn't have a real torque sensor :saddowns:

how different is it from a model with a torque sensor? I've only ridden bikeshare e-bikes so I don't really know what to expect. I don't think I could get a different folding bike with a torque sensor for the price though
It'll be okay. You'll just feel the assist instead of the bike convincing you that you are stronger than you are.
I think you would be most likely to notice the difference when doing tight low speed maneuvering. At higher speed you'll also notice you'll get max assist from just soft pedaling.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Cadence PAS is fine for a commuter. I was worried I was missing out but then I did a eMTB ride, where you would 100% want torque sensing, and realized it’s totally fine.
I have four points on my commute where I deal with come combination of tight spaces, traffic and limited traction and I just dip down to PAS level 2 from 4/5 and then exit and power back up. It’s literally as easy as changing gears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I honestly think cadence sensor might be better for people who are doing commuter style stuff. It feels less bike-y but you have more control over how much effort you want to put in at a given moment.