Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best sa modmin

View Results

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

HEY MAN TV ON PC posted:

my family has a place in the North Cascades in Washington that's only accessible by boat or floatplane. There are cars up there, but there are no roads in; cars have to be barged in. They never really got phones, but now everyone has satellite internet. we haven't been up this year because the biggest family up there that controls a lot of the valley continues to descend into pentacostal fundamentalism/trumpism and thinks the virus is a hoax

Two points:

1 this place sounds loving fantastic
2 this same problem literally exists everywhere remote in the usa. It's the biggest loving drag. I love the countryside and especially remote mountain ranges but they are filled with the worst loving people and it's the biggest disappointment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
It's very peaceful and therapeutic. The air is fresh and there's no noise or light pollution.

I can walk out my back door and just trundle through fields, over streams, say hi to cows, birds of prey and foxes. I can just walk for hours exploring on my own like Lara Croft and find some of the most beautiful nature and scenery. I've found dinosaur fossils and hidden neolithic monuments.

All with a joint in my backpocket.

I can sleep in the long grass, watch the clouds and sunset without a care in the world.

I can roll around in the mud and get destroyed and feel at one with nature. Nobody cares

Rural living will always trump urban hellscape life.

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 19, 2020

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you can bury anything you want and no one will ever know.

I had to put down my dog and it was extremely sad but one nice thing we were able to do is bury her on the property. Can't do that if you don't have land. I mean you can I guess but uh it was way easier since we do.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I've lived in both - a city of 9 million (and another of 6 million), and I've lived 2 miles from the nearest sealed road, 5 miles from the nearest neighbour. I like both.

Right now I'm living in a city but through quirk in the shape of the place I'm maybe 20 minutes walk along a river to the center of the city, but I have this view out the back and I can go walk for 30 miles in most directions and not encounter another person.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
walking around the house naked with all the windows open

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

20 Blunts posted:

There's not morons everywhere like in the city. There's morons but they're like a mile away at least.

This. Plus wild animal visitors to the yard is pretty cool. And clean air, clear skies, etc.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

A few weeks ago I was on a trip to see where my granddad lived as a teenager after his parents lost their farm in the Great Depression. There was actually no mobile phone reception at all over there and there were people who lived there permanently. My granddad's farmstead was now rented out as a holiday home and didn't have a landline either.

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020

Grevling posted:

A few weeks ago I was on a trip to see where my granddad lived as a teenager after his parents lost their farm in the Great Depression. There was actually no mobile phone reception at all over there and there were people who lived there permanently. My granddad's farmstead was now rented out as a holiday home and didn't have a landline either.

So, good?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Remote rural areas may not has as many idiots per square mile but the ones they do have are far, far, FAR chudlier than their urban counterparts.

naem
May 29, 2011

having money in a remote rural region can be very pleasant as your dollars might go a bit further and you are able to insulate yourself both physically and socially to a much greater degree than you can in a major city, if that’s your chosen lifestyle thing. For example you might be able to be independently wealthy and not work in an amount of money that you couldn’t live off of in a more expensive location.

if you don’t “have money” but say inherit rural real estate and don’t have to pay for housing, that might also let you eek out a low effort existence which can also be very pleasant, again if you’re more of a stay at home introvert type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

ive been trying to find that picture of the apollo rocket flying through the sky over the alabama (i think) dirt village and its very on topic so if anyones got it you know what to do thank you