Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

After Joe Chill turned a mugging into a double homicide, all his criminal friends started calling him No Chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Strip panel naked is really good, as mentioned.

I was going to make a thread for this and probably still will but some other recs in the interim:

Cartoonist Kayfabe is Ed Piskor and Jim Rugg, two reasonably successful mostly indie cartoonists. Started as Wizard magazine issue by issue breakdown but they cover a lot more than that. Some of the interviews are very good. They get pretty into the craft of comics as well as digging into some very out there recommendations. Jim in particular, to paraphrase Tom Scioli (who appears on a semi regular basis), has never met an ugly comic he didn’t like.

Random grab bag rec for what they do:

Episode talking about picture books: https://youtu.be/pwzA87smr_s

Episode talking about Jim Lee’s X-Men: https://youtu.be/YY24CrAtmv8

Long and pretty out there interview with David Choe: https://youtu.be/3QecMMrcCCA

For the Love of Comics is a guy in India who loves comics and talks about them. He skews to the premium indies and some European work, particularly Tintin. He does a lot of “overview” / intro type videos.

His favorite Tintin story: https://youtu.be/yCDBxyIxO9M

panellogy / earl grey is, I believe, Scandinavian and talks a lot about European comics. Note that his production is definitely the weakest of the four YouTube channels.

His favourite European comics of 2020: https://youtu.be/wPioNP4VyjU

There are some others I’d recommend as well, but phone posting so that will have to do for now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Took a walk over to the Capitol to see the site of a failed coup

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That oughta hold 'em.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I've been reading the Cartoon History of the Universe and just moved on to the two volume Cartoon History of the Modern World and wanted to sing their praises.

I'd heard of them before but never really dug in and I wish I had earlier. They really hit the sweet spot with my love of history and comics.

I'd recommend them to anyone interested in learning more about the history of the planet--they all contain great bibliographies for further reading as well, while remaining consistently amusing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

That oughta hold 'em.

The cop's finger is ready to wag. You don't even know.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The National guard will be deployed to occupy DC and they will have live fire rounds. Maybe we will have more blood sacrifice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's already a lot of military people. I assume National Guard, but I didn't see any District flags on their uniforms, so I'm not sure, and they may be active.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

There's already a lot of military people. I assume National Guard, but I didn't see any District flags on their uniforms, so I'm not sure, and they may be active.

I mean they were deployed Wednesday night by pence and the pentagon after trump refused to ask.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mr Hootington posted:

The National guard will be deployed to occupy DC and they will have live fire rounds. Maybe we will have more blood sacrifice.

Yeah... Deploying the military to do police work has never been fraught with problems. :sigh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

I mean they were deployed Wednesday night by pence and the pentagon after trump refused to ask.

I'm aware. I live down the street. This doesn't mean they stayed there until Sunday afternoon.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Uthor posted:

Yeah... Deploying the military to do police work has never been fraught with problems. :sigh:

Tbh right now the national guard is more trustworthy than the cops

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Can someone explain to me the Starman trade weirdness. I have 7 out of the 10 trades for the Robinson run. None of the trades have spine numbers so I have to look at the inside pages of the book to find out what number issues the trade covers.
The first trade covers #1-5, so that is alright.
Second trade covers 7-10,12-16 so already two issues missing (#6 and #11).
Third trade (which I don't have but just ordered second hand) covers #17, 19-27 (so again an issue missing).
Fourth trade has the missing issues (but wouldn't it make sense for the series to be read in order from #1 onwards?)
Fifth trade has 29-35, 37-38 (so missing issues again)
Sixth has 39-41, 43,45 (so almost every second issue missing now)
Seventh 47-53 (no missing issues)
Eighth, ninth, and tenth seem to continue onwards without any missing issues.

So why is the reading order out of whack? The story arcs reference previous story arcs and there is a lot of foreshadowing so wouldn't a more straightforward read make sense? I know there are hardcover omnibuses and such but those are 100 plus on the second hand market. All this plus the lack of spine numbering just makes reading the story such a pain.

edit: I got the info for which each trade has here: https://www.tradereadingorder.com/character/starman/

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

Can someone explain to me the Starman trade weirdness.
[...]
So why is the reading order out of whack?

Because DC comics has a seething hatred for anyone who reads comics in trades and takes it on them with contradictory and incomplete collections.

The way Starman was collected originally was a trainwreck. I've got no shame about double dipping on the omnibuses for that one. You should get those... oh wait, DC comics has a seething hatred for everyone who reads comics in trades and cut off the reprints of those.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I experienced a minor case of that in my continuing Wonder Woman saga, the Perez trades that are out now don't include the first meeting between Post-Crisis WW and Superman, despite all of that being built up across like 6 issues of WW... because it happened in a Superman annual... That was written by John Byrne but drawn by Perez (and enough cutaways in that story are direct links to WW that I'm sceptical Byrne wrote the whole thing).

Oh, and they just released a trade of Simone's run on Birds Of Prey, labelled as volume 1... which actually collects an arc from about 40 issues into her run.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The missing issues might be one and done side stories. The Sandman skinny trades (which have been in print, with different editions but same numbering order, basically since before Sandman finished because it always sells), would skip little one offs and then put those in a single collection.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

Can someone explain to me the Starman trade weirdness. I have 7 out of the 10 trades for the Robinson run. None of the trades have spine numbers so I have to look at the inside pages of the book to find out what number issues the trade covers.
The first trade covers #1-5, so that is alright.
Second trade covers 7-10,12-16 so already two issues missing (#6 and #11).
Third trade (which I don't have but just ordered second hand) covers #17, 19-27 (so again an issue missing).
Fourth trade has the missing issues (but wouldn't it make sense for the series to be read in order from #1 onwards?)
Fifth trade has 29-35, 37-38 (so missing issues again)
Sixth has 39-41, 43,45 (so almost every second issue missing now)
Seventh 47-53 (no missing issues)
Eighth, ninth, and tenth seem to continue onwards without any missing issues.

So why is the reading order out of whack? The story arcs reference previous story arcs and there is a lot of foreshadowing so wouldn't a more straightforward read make sense? I know there are hardcover omnibuses and such but those are 100 plus on the second hand market. All this plus the lack of spine numbering just makes reading the story such a pain.

edit: I got the info for which each trade has here: https://www.tradereadingorder.com/character/starman/

Starman included a number of "Times Past" single-issue stories set in past eras, with some related characters. Sometimes they were completely stand-alone, while others would have greater significance and payoffs later on.

The fourth TPB was titled "Times Past" and has several of the missing issues, but I think they ended up leaving a few out in that initial run of ten TPBs. I was appalled back then, as one of the biggest Starman fans ever, who collected the series from near the beginning. They really should have been collected in issue order, since James Robinson surely placed them that way for a reason. That's why I had my single issues bound into custom hardcovers, with all crossovers and related issues placed where they belong between Starman issues.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 12, 2021

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, and they just released a trade of Simone's run on Birds Of Prey, labelled as volume 1... which actually collects an arc from about 40 issues into her run.

I think that’s an issue of a storyline being split up in trades. Dc had done it previously with 12+ issue storylines like hush and obsidian age

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

Because DC comics has a seething hatred for anyone who reads comics in trades and takes it on them with contradictory and incomplete collections.

The way Starman was collected originally was a trainwreck. I've got no shame about double dipping on the omnibuses for that one. You should get those... oh wait, DC comics has a seething hatred for everyone who reads comics in trades and cut off the reprints of those.

It's true. For the longest time DC wouldn't do trades of series that had been 'canceled.' I use the quotes because canceled in this case also meant any finished series, which is why stuff like Starman and Hitman's trade history have been so rocky. Forget about getting runs of the Legion in trade to.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

It's true. For the longest time DC wouldn't do trades of series that had been 'canceled.' I use the quotes because canceled in this case also meant any finished series, which is why stuff like Starman and Hitman's trade history have been so rocky. Forget about getting runs of the Legion in trade to.

At least with Legion, initially it was because Paul Levitz was DC's publisher and he refused to use his position and push his own work forward for reprint.

No excuse for all the times they started collecting Giffen/DeMatteis's Justice League and then stopped a couple of volumes in, though. Or Spectre. Or Suicide Squad. Or... well, about 75% of their stuff.

If you want another example of how bad this is, consider how they've collected Sandman out of order. Their biggest series ever in bookstores and they still chop it up and move issues around. I think the Absolutes were the first time that the series was collected in publication order.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't there something about how their contracts work with reprints, also? Hence why they lean more to collecting runs by creator more than story arc?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Since I am not a coward, I made a winter 2021 thread

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't there something about how their contracts work with reprints, also? Hence why they lean more to collecting runs by creator more than story arc?

There is but it has a greater effect on reprints from the 70's and 80's. The contacts were written with reprinting stories in 100 page giants and the like in mind, not books and not at the much lower print runs. Things were changed in the 90s, so it doesn't explain why the behavior has continued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

At least with Legion, initially it was because Paul Levitz was DC's publisher and he refused to use his position and push his own work forward for reprint.

No excuse for all the times they started collecting Giffen/DeMatteis's Justice League and then stopped a couple of volumes in, though. Or Spectre. Or Suicide Squad. Or... well, about 75% of their stuff.

If you want another example of how bad this is, consider how they've collected Sandman out of order. Their biggest series ever in bookstores and they still chop it up and move issues around. I think the Absolutes were the first time that the series was collected in publication order.

Oh yea, Spectre!!! I was pissed off to see that DC stopped collecting those after getting so excited and getting the first two trades. DC did collect Ostrander's Suicide Squad in its entirety so I figured there would be a good chance for Spectre and....well....its been a few years since the second trade came out.