Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
This forum being created was good timing because today I went out in search of some new swimming holes. I live on a small island not in the US and at the center is an inactive volcano with valleys leading outward to the sea. Besides sea swimming there are a few famous fresh water swimming spots as well as some very hidden ones. I've been scouring local maps to find possibilities of the latter and found a nice valley today that was pretty far up into the mountain so little chance of gross runoff from farms and civilization.

This was today's discovery in a valley that needs some more exploring.

Here is a nearby stream which has become very famous and way too crowded. In recent years there are now lifeguards during the peak season (July and August) preventing people from diving off of rocks and swimming too close to the waterfall that flows down. The water is crystal clear and ice cold.

This is an interesting spot where ice cold water flows down from the mountain and mixes with sea water which creates a really bizarre cold-warm-cold-warm sensation when you are swimming or diving into it. This is an old traditional port and up a ways from this is a spot where that super cold mountain water pools up and people can hang out on hot summer nights.

And here is a cool place where dips in the volcanic rocks form pools when the tide goes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I went to this place last weekend - St. Mary's Wilderness in the George Washington National Forest in Virginia.

The main pool at the base of the falls is deep enough that people jump from the rocks seen in the top right of the photo. It was unfortunately a crowded place on a blistering hot summer day, but otherwise very nice. The trail to get there is about two miles and crosses a little river about six times.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
Today I found this amazing place up into the mountain. It seems to usually has a nice flow of fresh cold water but yesterday's torrential rains made it even better. The main pool is probably 3m deep then there is some weird now unused and blocked off road going across which provides a very easy and convenient way back up.