Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Oh also, I'm guessing you have Shimano based on what I think is SLX on the RD in your pic.

Yeah, it's an SLX derailleur and shifter, Sunrace 11-46 cassette and a 32t Race Face NW chainring bolted to ancient 175mm Deore 3x8 cranks. The cheapest option would be to get a 34 or 36t chainring and just suck up the loss of the low gears. The Deore 5100 derailleur and cassette would get me 11-51 but at that point I'm replacing almost the whole groupset and I might as well go 12 speed. The issue there is my rear wheel, which is an old DT Swiss 240s 10x135mm where I think my options are a 12 speed HG cassette, an expensive conversion kit to 10x135 XD, or a slightly less expensive conversion to 5x135 microspline (because for some reason DT don't do this in a 10mm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bakaraven
Oct 21, 2011

Scrapez posted:

A "downcountry" bike might be the sweet spot you're looking for. Full suspension but shorter travel than a trail bike and longer travel than an XC bike.

Since you already have a Scott, this would be solid:
https://www.incycle.com/products/sc...NQaAjWmEALw_wcB

If you wanted to go with Specialized, you might look at the Epic Evo. It's their Downcountry bike.

Thanks! I will look at the Scott spark and try it out at the shop. Specialized is apparently a no go here, nothing is in stock anywhere.

It’s either Scott hardtails or Trek Fullsuspension I see on the trails.. or the e-bikes, sure love those here in Denmark.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Riding bikes in the woods is so dang fun. I was thinking today on my ride how surprised I was that riding this trail near my house still felt so difficult to me, even though I've done it a few dozen times since I first started mountain biking last year. Then I check Strava after I got home and see I PR'd a couple climbs and downhill segments about 30% faster than my previous best. I guess it's really true when people say it doesn't get easier, you just get faster. :getin:

Anyway here's my bike taking a rest in the creek on my ride. Hoping to spend a lot more time on the bike this year. Hopefully one day soon I'll actually ride this creek crossing instead of walking it...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That bike looks very sexy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
agreed, karate monkeys are so dope

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It feels great to ride through a creek crossing that is too wide to keep dry feet as a pedestrian.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I had a really good ride today, can really feel muscle improvement since I started. Now that I'm wearing a helmet my confidence has gone way up and I am quickly outgrowing my Schwinn. Still only hitting up the small trail in my neighborhood, but it is still offering plenty of challenge and learning for me. I need to take a day and do some maintenance to my bike like tightening up some cables that have some slack. I have a water bottle and a little storage bag now which have both been great additions. I got the Trailforks app which shows me the bigger trails in my area which I am going to check out.

This is a pretty good example of the terrain I will be riding around here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngGV__ok85o

I am still practicing getting my front wheel off the ground which is going well. I have successfully gotten over some small branches that I could ride over, but I am just practicing form and timing. Still can't get my back wheel up, but I need to build up more confidence in my balance. I am realizing I am quickly outgrowing the bike that I have and I want to get a better bike. I've expanded my cost options up a bit and have found some bikes that I think would work great for me, however it's like nothing is available in stock anywhere. I keep going back to that Ozark Trail, which might not be the best, but its available today if I want it and I can upgrade it which I would love to tinker on. Browsing used markets daily have produced nothing yet, but I am better informed than I was a month ago or whenever I started this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Make sure you have a dropper post!