Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

How did I not notice earlier that my brake cable is frayed/snapped :negative:

With any luck that won't be impossible for this idiot to replace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Nah you'll be fine. Proper bike mechanics have special cutters for the outer cable sheath when trimming it to length (it's a good idea to replace that too for minimal friction and best brake feel even though you can get by with just replacing the inner cable that broke). I'm not a proper bike mechanics so I use a Dremel. Angle grinder, hacksaw or beefy side cutters should work too. There's more than one way to skin a cat. If you mess up the worst that can happen is you destroy a cheap part and your brake remains broken.

Small asterisk though in the unlike event that your cable is routed inside the frame. If so you should use the old outer cable to pull a new cable or at least a pullstring through the same path.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

loving :lol: I did not even think that I might need to cut it. I actually have....very few tools. Time to stock up I guess.

It's not routed inside thankfully.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If you're ever going to own one bike specific tool a cable/ housing cutter is pretty high on the list.

The basic park tool one CN-10 will last the rest of your life if you only use it for it's stated purpose and your brake and shifter maintenance will be so much easier.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Good news is you need very few tools for a cable replacement. Likely a hex key for the clamp at the brake end (or possibly a little wrench on old bikes) and some way to cut inner and outer cable is pretty much the extent of it unless something fights you. Like if the adjuster commonly at the handle on flat bar bikes is corroded and stuck, then you might need some pliers and lube to work it loose.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Before I end up with the wrong thing - https://www.decathlon.ca/en/p/8555307/mtb-city-bike-universal-brake-cable-stainless-steel

Claims to be a "universal" cable. In bikeworld does that mean....any cable any bike?

I have the Riverside 120 from Decathlon: https://www.decathlon.ca/en/p/8405304/riverside-120-hybrid-bike

They also have a kit containing the housing, or the housing is separately sold. If you're replacing a cable, I assume it's a good idea to replace the housing, too? https://www.decathlon.ca/en/p/3289171/universal-brake-cable-and-housing-kit

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Nobody Interesting posted:

Before I end up with the wrong thing - https://www.decathlon.ca/en/p/8555307/mtb-city-bike-universal-brake-cable-stainless-steel

Claims to be a "universal" cable. In bikeworld does that mean....any cable any bike?

I have the Riverside 120 from Decathlon: https://www.decathlon.ca/en/p/8405304/riverside-120-hybrid-bike

They also have a kit containing the housing, or the housing is separately sold. If you're replacing a cable, I assume it's a good idea to replace the housing, too? https://www.decathlon.ca/en/p/3289171/universal-brake-cable-and-housing-kit

Yes replace the housing too, may as well if it's a little old. That cable you linked is MTB head (hockey puck shaped) not road brake (mushroom shape). Any LBS or general sports store will have both kinds. Not sure about Decathlon's nomenclature but it sounds like a French way to describe it

E: see the kit with housing has a cable with both types of head. With that bike either the mtb or the two-head product will work

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Shifting cables/housing and brake cables/housing are different from each other. But as long as you get brake cable/housing, yes it's universal, you can walk into any bike shop and get some. A local shop will probably even have cool colors of housing if you want. Have the measurements handy for the housing when you go in.

The general recommendation is to replace cable and housing together but I know plenty of people who will keep the housing through several cables, as long as it looks good and the cable travels freely.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

SimonSays posted:

Any LBS or general sports store will have both kinds. Not sure about Decathlon's nomenclature but it sounds like a French way to describe it

Makes sense, Decathlon are French as gently caress. I tend to look there first since that's where I got the bike from, so I just assume they have the bits for it.

I might just head over there and see what they say.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

If you're ever going to own one bike specific tool a cable/ housing cutter is pretty high on the list.
I started thinking about this list. The first two things I recommend to bike newbies that already have some normal tools like metric box wrenches and hex keys are:

1: floor pump with pressure gauge
2: tire levers

The next few places are up for grabs. Depends on the bike and person I guess. Third place is a tube patch kit probably. Then what? Chain rivet tool? Spoke wrench? Chain whip+cassette socket?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Invalido posted:

I started thinking about this list. The first two things I recommend to bike newbies that already have some normal tools like metric box wrenches and hex keys are:

1: floor pump with pressure gauge
2: tire levers

The next few places are up for grabs. Depends on the bike and person I guess. Third place is a tube patch kit probably. Then what? Chain rivet tool? Spoke wrench? Chain whip+cassette socket?

Chain breaker is a good part of even an on the road multitool imo as it can get you going again after a broken chain (albeit with a slightly too short chain). They've saved my rear end several times. whereas you can limp home with e.g. a broken spoke (perhaps to the detriment of your rim but I've done it and still trued the rim back up just fine)

Chain whip is good but you can improv it okay with a piece of old chain, I still do this tbh and I hate it every time until it works and then I forget about buying a chain whip until next time.

But a socket for your cassette or freewheel, definitely a good one, only way to work on your bearings or replace the freewheel/cassette.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

SimonSays posted:

E: see the kit with housing has a cable with both types of head.

If you get this one, it's especially important to make a clean cut on the end you don't use (the road mushroom end), since you'll need to feed that through the entire end of the cable housing.
If you don't have a cutter tool and it frays/splays out a bit, try to use pliers or your hand to retwist all the strands together. You're trying to avoid any strand snagging on the inner plastic lining and causing a premature wear point.

If you get a single-purpose cable, the free end will be soldered together and will feed through easily. Will still have to cut the extra cable, but can do that after you bolt it and adjust it at the caliper end. Fraying is still not ideal but less of a problem once you crimp a cable end cap over it.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Brake cable housing is spiral wound to protect against tearing as the lever is pulled increasing the internal "pressure" from the cable itself.

Shifter cable housing has the filaments running parallel to the cable, owing to being under much less load and having a greater need for maintaining specific length for indexing to work correctly.

You can see which is which by either looking at a cut end or seeing if a subtle spiral is visible through the outer plastic or not.

alnilam posted:

Shifting cables/housing and brake cables/housing are different from each other. But as long as you get brake cable/housing, yes it's universal, you can walk into any bike shop and get some. A local shop will probably even have cool colors of housing if you want. Have the measurements handy for the housing when you go in.

The general recommendation is to replace cable and housing together but I know plenty of people who will keep the housing through several cables, as long as it looks good and the cable travels freely.

Wouldn't you actually want to replace the housing and keep the cable? It would be pre-stretched and the Teflon/anti-friction coating is part of the housing, right?

(I've only ever changed them as a set, so honestly curious)

amenenema fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 16, 2024

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

amenenema posted:

Brake cable housing is spiral wound to protect against tearing as the lever is pulled increasing the internal "pressure" from the cable itself.

Shifter cable housing has the filaments running parallel to the cable, owing to being under much less load and having a greater need for maintaining specific length for indexing to work correctly.

You can see which is which by either looking at a cut end or seeing if a subtle spiral is visible through the outer plastic or not.

Wouldn't you actually want to replace the housing and keep the cable? It would be pre-stretched and the Teflon/anti-friction coating is part of the housing, right?

OP mentioned the cables are frayed, they can also be bent, kinked, or worn. Not necessarily a huge problem in use but it makes it tricky or impossible to do the housing.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

amenenema posted:

idk I used to only change out cables when they got frayed but now I change out brake cables preventatively ever since I had one unexpectedly snap on me (Always have a redundant braking system, kids!) and the new cables usually feel nice and smooth in the housing so I only bother if the housing looks visibly worn or if the new cables don't feel good in there. I know plenty of other people who rock the same housing for a pretty long time too. But we're all crusty bike co-op people so none of that is like, official recommended practice.

Thanks for reminding me that I'm due for new brake cables, thread, and always have redundant braking

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Complaining into the void: the office landlord at work has apparently decided to repurpose the bicycle parking room starting on Tuesday next week, so it looks like we're getting kicked out onto the street as far as bike parking goes. They claim to be looking into a new solution but welp, guess I'll be a lot less at the office until that's sorted!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
That sucks. Before we had a bike room at my office I locked mine up out front and came back to find a female condom draped across my rear rack. Where do you even find those things?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
There's no way I read that correctly.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
A bad storm rolled through yesterday, and the trail system has a lot of downed trees blocking the paths. So, I'll ride tomorrow, but for today, I figured I'd take the single speed through my hilly town to pick up some stuff at the store. It gave me a chance to use the Avalanche backpack I bought last year at a Dick's outlet store. My single speed doesn't have a rack, you see.

The trip was successful, and I found out that I can get a 12 pack of Pepsi Zero Sugar, a half gallon of skim milk, a quart of 2% milk, two half pints of buttermilk, and a few tomatoes in the pack with no problems. It was heavy, though, so if I do this again, I think I'll go when my shopping list doesn't consist totally of liquids.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mauser posted:

That sucks. Before we had a bike room at my office I locked mine up out front and came back to find a female condom draped across my rear rack. Where do you even find those things?

You find them near bike racks.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
A while ago someone (or someones) in the commuter thread helped me get my road bike and I still ride and love it. I also have a e bike, but I'm looking for a nice casual city bike that I can ride with people and fit the vibe. It should be under 500, but I'd really like to keep it at 300ish. I'd like smoothness and comfort over speed, and I might go 10 miles tops each way.

Height: 5 ' 11
Inseam: 32
Budget: 200-500, much prefer to spend less than 500 but for the right bike I can go up
Length of commute: 20 miles in a day max
Terrain: Fairly flat, mostly in bike lanes, occasional hills
Link to local Craigslist or equivalent (if looking for second hand): https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Veskit posted:

A while ago someone (or someones) in the commuter thread helped me get my road bike and I still ride and love it. I also have a e bike, but I'm looking for a nice casual city bike that I can ride with people and fit the vibe. It should be under 500, but I'd really like to keep it at 300ish. I'd like smoothness and comfort over speed, and I might go 10 miles tops each way.

Budget: 200-500, much prefer to spend less than 500 but for the right bike I can go up
Link to local Craigslist or equivalent (if looking for second hand): https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/

Not sure the vibe you're looking for but...

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/d/minneapolis-medium-56cm-schwinn-tempo/7734273637.html

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/bik/d/saint-paul-bianchi-cruiser-road-bike/7738202512.html

You can also find fashionable singlespeeds new at various places online for 500 and under. Bikesdirect, State, etc.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Veskit posted:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/d/minneapolis-2000s-jamis-explorer-speed/7735763262.html

Only costs $120, but needs:
  • fenders
  • front light
  • rack + rack-mounted rear light

amenenema posted:

You can also find fashionable singlespeeds new at various places online for 500 and under. Bikesdirect, State, etc.

That's because singlespeeds are the dumbest bike fad.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Groda posted:

That's because singlespeeds are the dumbest bike fad.

Weird flex but okay. Was just putting "casual" plus "vibe" together and seemed like a reasonable option.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I think a single speed might be an option for this kind of commute or just for enjoying a chill ride with some like-minded folks. It really depends on the hills you'll be dealing with. I find that I can handle hills with my single speed's gear ratio that I'd never try on my road bike with a similar gear ratio, as long as they're fairly short.

I really like my single speed. As for single speeds being a fad, that's basically saying bicycles are a fad.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TheFluff posted:

Complaining into the void: the office landlord at work has apparently decided to repurpose the bicycle parking room starting on Tuesday next week, so it looks like we're getting kicked out onto the street as far as bike parking goes. They claim to be looking into a new solution but welp, guess I'll be a lot less at the office until that's sorted!
repurpose into what?

Today someone was parked on the bike lane/sidewalk on my way to the bike shop, and still loving there 20mn later as I rode home. Took serious mental fortitude to not put my foot through the mirrors.

On the positive side, fresh sealant in the mountain bike so I can go hoon around this weekend. gently caress yes.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Respectfully, ew single speed gross :barf:

I actually like this one, i'll check it out. Thank you for the help!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Veskit posted:

Respectfully, ew single speed gross :barf:

I actually like this one, i'll check it out. Thank you for the help!

No sweat! I just plugged "56cm" into your Craigslist under Bikes. You could also try 54 or 55cm for more options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

evil_bunnY posted:

repurpose into what?

Something that pays rent, presumably. Storage, I think? There are some tenants in the same building that probably need storage space.