Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
One of my grandparents (now deceased) was an immigrant to the US from Europe. He arrived in Ellis Island in the 20's. The name listed on his ship manifest was in line with his birth certificate. I am told that the immigration officers were quite friendly to him, and assisted him in changing his name into something more American sounding. His naturalization papers have his new name on them. The paper trails are consistent, showing his place and date of birth as before, even after the name change. It's just the name change itself I cannot find.

I am now unexpectedly put in a situation where I need to find the record of his name change for legal reasons. How can I do that? Or barring that, prove he is still the same person as the name with his arrival manifest (such as legal documents stating his current name and birth name).

If it helps: If it helps, he ran a high powered law firm that churned out some famous people. Before that (during WW2) he was a merchant marine for the US as well as an amateur welterweight boxer who apparently did quite well for himself.

Update found a ~2 month range in 1921 where the name change likely occurred and the city where it likely happened (NYC). Reached out to the folks working the archives at that city for advice.

diadem fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
I believe Ellis Island records alone are very limited in the information they have. Did he ever become a U.S citizen? You can try to get his records from USCIS. Also depending on the year the state of New York archives may have more records of his citizenship application. State records are often more complete then the feds. With luck they might explicitly mention the name change.

Depending on what you need it for it might be enough to build up documentation that all the records you have refer to the same person. For dual citizenship if the data matches between documents (birthplace, birthdate etc.) besides the name this is usually enough proof. If you're doing this for dual citizenship I can give you more pointers.