Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

That last scene with Gal'gear (sp?), like the last one with all the Ponspectors, feels like it really ought to have been fully voiced.

It's weird that it isn't, when an easily missable side scene with Tyrea in the first game merited full voice treatment.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Here lies Gael'gar. He died as he lived, like a douchebag.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The cut video doesn't seem to be cut

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Polsy posted:

The cut video doesn't seem to be cut

:sigh:

I'll render out the fixed version and upload it as soon as possible. I forgot to mute the commentary audio when rendering, it looks like.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

That last scene with Gal'gear (sp?), like the last one with all the Ponspectors, feels like it really ought to have been fully voiced.

It's weird that it isn't, when an easily missable side scene with Tyrea in the first game merited full voice treatment.

It was so weird watching it. That whole subplot with Gael'gar really went nowhere, did nothing worthy of the weight they set it up with, and then ends on whimper with no voice acting. I legitimately thought he was coming back later in the DLC before we fight the Fog King for a proper send off because of this weird kind of non-resolution ending here, but no, that's it, he's 100% dead. This is the last we see of him.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I still don't know what the Fog King is or what it wants, it looks to be just a random force of evil that exists to give you a final boss to fight.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I fixed the cut commentary video by the way.

84 - The Fallen (Cut)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Judge Tesla posted:

I still don't know what the Fog King is or what it wants, it looks to be just a random force of evil that exists to give you a final boss to fight.

Good news! Neither does the game.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

I fixed the cut commentary video by the way.

Thanks!

AradoBalanga posted:

Here lies Gael'gar. He died as he lived, like a douchebag.

Well, at least he did the classic 'slowly fall off the cliff backwards with arms spread' pose.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hey, in the newest Monster Hunter (Rise), you can take pictures of the monsters and kill them!

Also, most dinosaurs had three toes. :eng101:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Honestly, I feel this DLC is kinda bad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's not overtly bad, it just has a real hard time trying to justify its existence as an additional 6 hours of gameplay instead of like a 45 minute long bonus cutscene.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
As an excuse to have programmed/implemented the Ponspectors?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You know they keep reminding me that Kino and Nene are actual children and I can't help but think that those adults in the town should really say something about that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

cant cook creole bream posted:

The saving grace is that its included in the cost of Xenoblade 1 on Switch so you don't pay extra for it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

They really should have just let you roll with 4 party members, but my solution was very different from Argate's:

Control Melia, have Nene and Kino in the party, bench Shulk. Shulk had his fun. This is Melia's story. Shulk can sit the gently caress down.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I can't find it now but i swear Future Connected was hyped up a bit before release to be "a sneak peek at the future of the Xeno series!"

This is what is awaiting us people :v:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

The Shame Boy posted:

I can't find it now but i swear Future Connected was hyped up a bit before release to be "a sneak peek at the future of the Xeno series!"

This is what is awaiting us people :v:

Xenoblade 101, all ponspectors all the time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm more impressed by the giant cherries than the giant dessert.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I applaud this game's effort to try and make Bana be anything other than "an annoying little poo poo". I do not know why they are putting this much effort into Bana's characterization, but that's what Monolith Soft decided to do.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
1) The Nerthys Crown has a secret bonus that makes Ponspectors start all battles with High Tension. That's supposed to be a good thing but I literally can't remember what Tension does for Ponspectors so.

2) I like to think that, through a hellishly complex series of favours, misunderstandings, lies, and backroom deals, the Ponspectors debt is somehow owed to Riki. He will never collect this money because nobody will ever believe him.

3) I love Bana. Just give this absurdly melodramatic track to the dipshit we beat up a year ago, for pulling the exact same poo poo.

4) The more I think about the relations between the people of Bionis the more my head hurts. Like, the High Entia were so isolationist that 90% of the Homs population didn't know they existed, and they never showed up to the war that almost killed all the homs. However, there are enough Homs living with the High Entia that there's a solid population of hybrids, and it's even a required aspect of the royal family. How is this working out. Is this literally a case of space elves kidnapping humans to be their lovers? Also the Nopon know about the High Entia, they live very close to each other and the Nopon Chieftain is on a first name basis with the High Entia princess. How the gently caress did the High Entia stay a secret? I refuse to believe that the entire Nopon population have kept their mouth shut about this for this long. Is there bribery involved? Did all Homs who discover the truth get either killed or kidnapped to Alcamoth? Is that how it works? Is there a Nopon hit squad.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

And that's it! Thanks everyone who followed us on this long journey, we'll see you next time!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Fog King was the ghost of Tetsuya Takahashi trying to bring back the Gnosis. Fortunately you kicked his rear end.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

And that's it! Thanks everyone who followed us on this long journey, we'll see you next time!

We all missed it in the commentary but the final clear state title screen for beating Future Connected also adds Junks to the Colony 9 pier in the background in addition to Kino and Nene.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

That...certainly was an ending. It definitely feels like they had some ideas for this DLC, but midway through working on things they either found out how much budget they'd be working with or when the release date was, and subsequently rushed the ending out the door to make it on time. While I'm glad Melia got some resolution to her arc, this didn't need a full 10+ hour DLC package like you guys said. It could have been cut down to a shorter length, or even put on a drama CD that'd require a lot less resources and time.

Regardless, it was interesting to finally see this game and find out what the deal was with Shulk's misadventures beyond the blurbs in Smash Bros. files. Thanks for the wild ride, guys.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
It would have been nice if they kind of put a little emotional weight into the Telethia sacrificing themselves to stop the Rift. Since it seems impossible to return the Telethia back to High Entia, but here the Telethia continue serving their original purpose: defending the Bionis, but now they would save the High Entia and Alcamoth in the process - heck so much of this was about the High Entia continuing to live as a species there's something poetic about the previous generation giving way to protect the new generation. Like, c'mon, lean into that whole theme!

Also as for what the gently caress the Fog King could have been, I dunno. Maybe a quest in Alcamoth would have discovered that Zanza's manipulation of the High Entia and Telethia had some extra control systems in place, and it kinda broke out and went haywire. Zanza seems like the kind of fucker to have seventeen layers of backup plans that never quite got put into motion. Maybe something to cull off extraneous numbers of Telethia, I dunno. Apparently this post had more thought put into it than the writers here.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016

Krysmphoenix posted:

Also as for what the gently caress the Fog King could have been, I dunno. Maybe a quest in Alcamoth would have discovered that Zanza's manipulation of the High Entia and Telethia had some extra control systems in place, and it kinda broke out and went haywire. Zanza seems like the kind of fucker to have seventeen layers of backup plans that never quite got put into motion. Maybe something to cull off extraneous numbers of Telethia, I dunno. Apparently this post had more thought put into it than the writers here.

That would go against how they were implying that the Fog King is/was an 'outside context' problem. Some new 'thing' the likes of which they've never encountered before.

Basically, the Fog King exists as a hook towards whatever the future of the Xeno- series is. Supposedly anyway.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Weeble posted:

That would go against how they were implying that the Fog King is/was an 'outside context' problem. Some new 'thing' the likes of which they've never encountered before.

Basically, the Fog King exists as a hook towards whatever the future of the Xeno- series is. Supposedly anyway.

From the sound of it, it'll be a while off yet. Because after they wrapped work on Torna in 2018, Monolith split their workforce into three teams, one third went to work on an at-the-time unannounced project (most likely Breath of the Wild 2), another third started working on Definitive Edition and Future Connected, and the last third worked on both DE and the new project at the same time. So with DE now done and dusted for over a year at this point, a significant number of Monolith folks have probably been called in to BotW2. We'll see though, because XC2 kind of came out of loving nowhere not long after XCX kind of crashed and burned on the Wii U.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Speaking of XCX, as much as I would like to see it come to Switch (since it is kind of the last significant Wii U exclusive release that hasn't at this point), that hot mess would need A LOT of work to make it worth a purchase. Like holy poo poo.

The exploration and sidequests were absolute bangers and pretty much the only thing that kept me playing the whole way through. Everything else about it ranged from half-baked to straight up awful. And it probably wouldn't be worth the effort to fix it vs. just making a whole new game.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I wasn't expecting to think this, but I want to ask the question. Is Xenoblade Chronicles... bad?

This isn't the first LP of the game I've watched, but I had a much more positive impression of the game before watching yours. This isn't a fault on you (it's a good LP!), just that I think the game's writing aged poorly, and that it works a lot better when you don't know everything in advance and can be shocked by the twist moments. And all the "we don't need gods, we can choose our destiny" messaging feels a lot more pretentious and banal to me now than it did originally. Throughout this LP I kept finding myself thinking "wait, that's it? That's what this game is about? I remember this being so much better".

I think the voice acting, characterisation, and music design carry the writing and make it easy to overlook a lot of the weaker aspects. It's a good case study in how characterisation often matters much more than plot and worldbuilding, IMO.

(My comments are completely ignoring the gameplay, I haven't played this and don't feel qualified to comment on that aspect. It's a big part of the experience I'm completely failing to account for, but regardless this LP definitely convinced me to take Xenoblade off my "maybe play this someday" list.)

Future Connected looks like a completely underwhelming hot mess, but I'm not convinced it's that much hotter a mess than the original story, in retrospect? (I concur with whoever said Shulk should't have been there and it should've been allowed to be Melia's story. And also that Nene and Kino are insufferably annoying; I don't know why Riki works and they don't, but there's a fine line there that somehow got crossed.)

Am I missing something obvious here?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I forget how much of this I've said in the videos but I don't think it's *bad*, per se. Really, it's biggest sin is that it is exactly as anime and over the top as 2, it's just not as in your face about it because the shonen aspects of 2 are a lot more obvious. Killing god, the mysterious enemy that turns out to just be people, all that poo poo is the same old anime tropes, just executed very well.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I don't think it's a bad game at all and you'd be doing yourself a disservice not to play it. The environments are really pretty and they don't come across that well unless you're experiencing it yourself.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I still think the game is excellent and worth playing if you're into JRPGs, but I think its definitely kinda dated. I've definitely said this a bunch but in the context of the game's original release, the game hit right around the time that Japanese developers were learning how much of a struggle the leap to HD game development was, so a lot of big ticket RPGs ended up feeling kinda scaled down, in a sense. Meanwhile, Monolithsoft comes around with a big open JRPG that trims a lot of the fat you'd associate with the genre, mostly by making this game a single player MMO, and a basic, but fairly well executed storyline. The game did ok in Japan and for what its worth, I think Nintendo of America was probably right to pass on this game on the first go around. Had NoA just done a localization of the game without fuss and the game released in America in 2010-2011, I think this game would have been just kind of lost in the ether. The whole "Operation Rainfall" campaign did a lot to get this game into the actual public consciousness and I think NoE doing the localization gave the game some novelty so it didn't just blend in with other JRPGs.

With the magic of hindsight and being able to look at the game with a lot of the fat trimmed, its easy to see that the game really does adhere to a lot of the same molds as other shonen JRPGs and its not as impactful after the first time. I think as an overall package, the game is still worth trying and playing the game definitely feels a lot different than just watching it be played.

And yeah, FC is a lot weaker since its a short epilogue dragged out a lot longer than it really needed to be (might have been my fault since I went and showed off more or less everything) written in a post-Xenoblade 2 world, where Monolith has become more open about letting their shonen influences show. I think Kino and Nene are fine as characters, but they don't have nearly as much time to develop as Riki, who got enough time to be more than just a token mascot character, so the hypothetical Nopon party member of Xenoblade 3, should probably be more akin to Riki and Tora just by virtue of having time to breathe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Always enjoy when a story which has an incredible emphasis on disposing gods and setting your own destiny ends with the One True Monarch ascending to the throne :v:

Wait a second.

What about Colony 6?!