Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
Back in 2016 the mega hell-corp spectrum was birthed from the hairy rear end of capitalism. As part of its conditions for existence, it agreed to the following:
code:
(1) the prohibition on Charter imposing data caps and usage-based pricing
mechanisms; and 
(2) the requirement for Charter to offer to connect its Internet protocol (IP)
network to any qualifying entity free of charge and on standardized terms.
From what I understand, these conditions were set to expire in 2023. Pretty loving sweet deal, right? They get their monopoly and all they gotta do is not directly gently caress you over in a couple of very specific ways for about six years.

Well, spectrum decided that waiting all that time to implement data caps and even more arbitrary fees just isn't fair. It's not American and they have ants in their pants. So they're asking the FCC to let them go ahead and start data capping etc. in May of 2021. They want to get the FCC to agree with their request before a competent administration might be in office and the head of the FCC might be someone other than a huge piece of poo poo. Here's the official filing:
https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/0622272439013/DA-20-652A1.pdf

If you were around for the Obama-era net neutrality debate, you may have filed a public comment with the FCC. You and five hundred million russian bots, I mean. Well here's your chance to relive the glory.
If you care about this, write to the FCC here:
https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings/express

The form will ask you for a proceeding number. It's: 16-197
Also you probably need to fill out the form on desktop. If your phone doesn't give you an explicit "enter"/"return" button on your soft keyboard, you won't be able to enter your name and the form won't let you submit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
He has trouble finding the clitoris, does he?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

look at that loving nerd lol

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCa2ZkszJwQ

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Good I'm glad internet deserves to be destroyed

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Glad I just signed up for a fiber network that is supposed to go live in September. Spectrum is the only good internet in our neighborhood. Otherwise, it's CenturyLink and you might as well be on dialup.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
just buy their stock. then they do this for your benefit

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Wouldn’t it be loving weird if adult bookstores and video arcades and peep shows came back because of this? That would be like people going back to riding horses because of a 1,000,000% tax on gasoline.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’ll show you my peep for $20

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Lowtax was behind this all imo

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
It's cool how Ajit Pai's dumbass decisions have horribly hurt our telecommunications infrastructure in the nearly 4 years since he's been FCC commissioner. Lmao.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ah dammit, spectrum was halfway decent. no caps and free modem, no rental fee garbage :(

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It's cool how Ajit Pai's dumbass decisions have horribly hurt our telecommunications infrastructure in the nearly 4 years since he's been FCC commissioner. Lmao.

The government is fine with it so long as the surviving monolithic entities agree to share all of the information they are collecting with the government with as little transparency as possible. Don’t worry tho, it’s only “bad guys” who have to worry about this kind of overreach and I’m sure the “marketplace” will allow you to pick which of thee entities you want to give all of your information too. I mean, hell, if you really valued your privacy, why would you even live in society.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No no OP it's fine the FCC has learned that as long as they do poo poo like this slowly and by steps the public is largely ok with it because we're idiot frogs perpetually boiling alive.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

FCKGW posted:

ah dammit, spectrum was halfway decent. no caps and free modem, no rental fee garbage :(

The telco giants will turn on consumers whenever possible once they've built up a bit of minor goodwill to ensnare their average customer.

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019
I’m not going to defend Spectrum here as they are a company run by some of the very worst and most evil people in all of American business. I’ve had personal dealings with old man Rutledge and can’t think of a single nice thing to say besides he’s delivered for the shareholders.

Having said that the one thing I will say is that ‘usage based pricing’ is coming into vogue as a mechanism to get internet access out to a lot of underserved groups. I’ve been part of several proposals (at a competing company but part of a coalition of providers) that are between $10 and $20 a month for limited data plans, that are geared towards a stopgap solution for the digital divide. Several companies are converging around this as a way to help solve a problem but not force acceleration of the plan of record while it’s still difficult to have people in the field or head end.

If I were the fcc I’d be inclined to grant Charter their wish but require an agreement that they could no longer lobby directly or indirectly against Municipal Broadband

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Sid Vicious posted:

look at that loving nerd lol

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

youre dick posted:

Having said that the one thing I will say is that ‘usage based pricing’ is coming into vogue as a mechanism to get internet access out to a lot of underserved groups. I’ve been part of several proposals (at a competing company but part of a coalition of providers) that are between $10 and $20 a month for limited data plans, that are geared towards a stopgap solution for the digital divide. Several companies are converging around this as a way to help solve a problem but not force acceleration of the plan of record while it’s still difficult to have people in the field or head end.

internet is very cheap once you have infrastructure that the government already paid for and it could be $20 for unlimited if it wasn't owned by bloodsucking corporations

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

youre dick posted:

I’m not going to defend Spectrum here as they are a company run by some of the very worst and most evil people in all of American business. I’ve had personal dealings with old man Rutledge and can’t think of a single nice thing to say besides he’s delivered for the shareholders.

If I were the fcc I’d be inclined to grant Charter their wish but require an agreement that they could no longer lobby directly or indirectly against Municipal Broadband

gently caress that. A far better alternative is expanding cheap or free broadband access to low-income communities that is not restricted in any way.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It’s funny how time warner cable changed the name of their company to spectrum to avoid a public kidnapping charge and now they can’t even figure out how to use their own coax so they’re paying electric on phone line isdn and buying up conduit shares and digging up sections of roads to install that poo poo next to sewer lines. I bet they go broke in 2 years anyways.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

if i had a spikey iron ball on a chain i would surely swing it at this guys poo eating grin and dumb mug. the mug haunts me in my dreams. its got to be his source of power, but big reeses mug conspiracies are for another day. someone else that should be on the look out for my spikey iron ball on a chain would be leo p denault. if youre reading this denault im coming for you bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

It’s funny how time warner cable changed the name of their company to spectrum to avoid a public kidnapping charge and now they can’t even figure out how to use their own coax so they’re paying electric on phone line isdn and buying up conduit shares and digging up sections of roads to install that poo poo next to sewer lines. I bet they go broke in 2 years anyways.

You are gonna have to go further in depth on this.