Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

You lucky little munchkin! Eat the D-88 unspiced!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Spices: -/-/G/Y/-
(-2 Green / -3 Blue)

Yellow Spice on Rig Fuel Tank (Red Stat) TN 3: 1d6 5
Success. Converted to +4 Yellow/+1 Purple
Consuming Spiced Rig Fuel Tank

glompf

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

"Alright, so this could've gone better, but a teensy snack is better than no snack, right? And since it's this small, you probably won't get fat from it either!" argued Sid, staying positive while Spawnma grumblingly nibbled at the cancerous clump of space-meat.

Feed Spawnma a Micromeatorite.

charms
Oct 14, 2012

The currents brought in an old shoe. Incorporating this into SCRAM's physiology might allow it to walk on land instead of just wiggling. What a KILLRRR find!

Use the Sporty Spice to get rid of the Bad Shoe's Awe malus, then force SCRAM to consume it

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Poet

For sale: REgret, never eaten

Not eating, gain scar, no spice to lose

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"Okay, so, we better act fast before that thing wakes up. Let's just sprinkle it with a little spice to, um, blunt the smell... are smells transferrable to Horrors? I hope not... and bondakimasu, Hee!"

Using my remaining Ginger Spice to add +1 Awe, then feeding the Garlic Bub to Heliogabalus.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Lukachu

"Wow, Sprocket, just think of all the times we've spent looking for food together, prepping you for the big Horror carnival! It's tomorrow, don't you know? Aren't you excited?"

"Bring me that clanky bag full of cans, Sprocket - I'll crush these sticky old things into some metal chew-pucks for you!"

> Feed Slüüs Cans to Sprocket raw (Attitude: 2 -> 4, Awe: 3 -> 5)!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Spice up your life

Sporty Spice vs Scuttlecrab (tn3): 1d6 4

Scuttlecrab becomes +4 green!

Scary Spice vs Spiced Scuttle Crab (tn5): 1d6 1

Ruined!

EAT IT ANYWAY

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Just Some Intern

"Looks a bit plain? Maybe with this, though..."

Spicing my Batterpillar with SCARY SPICE: TN 3: 1d6 6

Batterpillar becomes a +4 Implications ingredient!

Eat Batterpillar

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

"What's this, some kinda cube? Well, better than most of the stuff you've sniffed out so far."

Use Posh Spice on Purple part of Cube (TN3): 1d6 3 I don't remember if a tie was a success or fail.

Feed the spiced/ruined ingredient to Screaming Pisser regardless of result.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Blebade. Blempes bloopsen. Blobbedy.

EAT:

+

+3 Tricks

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

The Hroom

Eat drink and be merry.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

The very last Ingredients went down a dozen gullets, changing the Horrors for the better. For the most part. Some of them got real dumb looking!

They smacked their lips (those that had lips remaining) and moved on to the very last phase before the Carnival itself...

At this stage in the event, Getcha Gacha Gotcha wanted stuff to get real cool. As was traditional, things were made real cool by the addition of dangerously experimental drugs.

As part of Training, you may opt to take Horror Gro-rror to double the stat change of whatever you choose! It is definitely safe! For you! Get PUMPIN', kids.
  • Lucky Lats - Roll any even-numbered die, from d4 to d20, after picking your Lucky Number! Gain bonuses to your chosen Stat according to the following table, and see changes to torso on success on double-digit die rolls:
    code:
    d4	d6	d8	d10	d12	d14	d16	d18	d20
    1	2	3	4	5	6	7	8	9
  • Rocket Reps - Roll 1d2. On a 2, gain +1 to the chosen Stat... or repeat, gaining a cumulative +1 on another 2. Repeat until satisfied or a 1 is rolled, losing everything! High success will see changes to legs.
  • Peeper Perspiration - Roll a number and type of dice according to the following table, and gain a bonus to your chosen Stat equivalent to every number in a set; however, take a penalty equivalent to every number in a non-set. High success will see changes to eyes and head.
    code:
    2	3	4	5	6
    d2	d4	d6	d8	d10	
  • Daredevil Dumbbells - Roll 1d4. On a 4, gain +1 to the chosen stat. On a 1, take -1 to the chosen stat. On a 2 or 3, roll again, increasing the magnitude of gain or loss by 1. High success or failure will see changes to the arms.
  • Lounging Lumbar - Gain 1 to to stat of your choice. Chance to gain a bigger tummy.

”Example Train Phase” posted:

My name is Mash Getchum and, uh, things are going totally great for me and Lukachew. Totally great!
So, uh, Lukachew, get going on that Peeper Perspiration and train up your Implications!
Roll 6d10 = 1,2,3,4,4,10
Set of 2 4's (+2), Non-Set of 4 (-4) = -2 to Implications
Ohhhhh no!

That’s it! It’s easy as 1-2-Ɛ!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 6, 2020

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

- This is it, little guy!

Linolea pours the whole bottle of Horror Gro-rror down the blorpus' gullet.

- Work those muscles.

JUICED Rocket Reps!!!!!!! [Tricks]: 1d2 1

After just two reps, the blorpus projectile vomits all over the floor.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Lukachu

"Hm hm hmmmmm... We haven't done this exercise before, have we? Let's get you to try a few Lucky Lats, and... here, chug this stuff down first! Chug, chug, chug, haha!"

Lucky Lats & Horror Gro-rror on Bits / Green (LN: 10): 1d10 7 - No change? Okay then Sprocket, I think we're all set then.

"Off to the Horror Carnival we go! You'll knock 'em dead, Sprocket, I'm just sure of it!"

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Take the Horror Gro-rror and kick back with Lounging Lumbar to Attitude.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

"Wowzers, Spawnma! You look... good? Yeah! Good!"

The naive-minded Sid Nedious pondered 'his' Horror's new look while she quad-flexed.

"And strong! Maybe you can do all the Lucky Lats this time!"

She wiped over half as fast this time. Maybe... maybe it didn't have anything to do with strength? Sid shook his head. Couldn't be.

"Or maybe not! Guess you did pack on a bit too much weight... Hey, ow, okay, don't bite, you're fine, you're fine! We've gotta get going, anyway! Carnival's soon over!"

Lucky Lats (TN 20): 1d20 8

No GRO.

charms
Oct 14, 2012

It is time for the symbiosis to end. SCRAM versus Omny. Who will win?

Awe Peeper Perspiration w/ Drugz... -4 Awe

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Spices: -/-/G/-/-
(-2 Green / -3 Blue / +1 Yellow)

Horror Gro-rror + Lucky Lats [Roll Lucky Number 20 for +9 Purple]: 1d20 9 Nope
The dumbbell falls to the ground. Still held in plumed talons that stretch like taffy.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"Huh, you're looking kind of... rounded out? Well, may as well lean into it. Here, have this to chase the garlic flavor out of your mouth..."

Lounging Lumbar with GRO for +2 Awe

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Lets fix you up.

Horror Gro-rror + Lucky Lats TN: Lucky 15 on RED: 1d20 13

Or not :/

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Just Some Intern

"No reason to change a good thing..."

Lounging Lumbat with DRUGZ to get +2 Implications

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

"Wow, you're looking, uh, real abstract there. Take a shot of this and keep working your eyes."

Drug Boosted Peeper Perspiration to Attitude: 6#1d10 6 5 2 7 4 9

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Poet

Right now, Burnette is going on a journey
To the GRO bottle.
On cool couches, in warm saunas,
It wants a drink.
The lazy horror laughs at me.
The evil zone sends its terrors into dark Blues.
I think of those strange stars
At the center of Slinkers.
Animals are very quiet
As they are followed by solitary horrors down paths
Burnette lies back with his lumbar
And surrenders to my voice.
It's bare claws are moist
With spice.

Gro, Lumbar to get +2 Purple

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Last day of training, and the Horrors were keen to sneak in any last minute advances they could! Or, you know, lateral movements or terrifying regressions! Whichever, right?

And... time! That was it. The gates, as they say, were open.

Finally, the grand show would begin. The tents were erected in a barren plain in the brownfields of Cygnus-IV's largest remaining population center, going up in a preposterously short amount of time. One day, nothing, the next...

The Horror Carnival was LIVE! The trainers eagerly bustled in, registered their beloved(ish) creatures, and signed up for the final bouts. Per the Rulez, each Horror could sign up for three of the following events.
  • ATTITUDE RUMBLE - Roll 1d100 + ATTITUDE
  • AWE STAREDOWN - Roll 2d50 + AWE
  • BITS CRUSHER - Roll 10d10 + BITS
  • TRICKS GAMBLE - Roll 1d100 - TRICKS
  • IMPLICATIONS FLASH - 4d25 + IMPLICATIONS
And... go!

Sorry for the delay, folks, crawling my way through the rest of the year! Happy holidays if I don't get time to update before Christmas!

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

- Is this the place?

The lights are flickering.

- Uh... anybody here?

The only one wishing Linolea welcome is the skeletal form of a mascot robot, waving in jerky motions.

- Uh, whatever, here's the schedule. We're just in time! Time to get famous!!

---

- Limbo! How long can you go?

TRICKS GAMBLE: 1d100-11 7

Quite low it turns out.

---

- Crush! Crush! Crush!

BITS CRUSHER: 10d10 62

---

- Go on, show them what you are made of! Or wait, not literally...

ATTITUDE RUMBLE: 1d100 54

The blorpus shows off it's special move: flopping down limply on it's side and sticking it's tongue out.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Lukachu

"Don't worry about the bright lights and all the people people, Sprocket, you just gotta go out there and show them what you're made of~!"

The Carnival: Awe Staredown / Bits Crusher / Implications Flash: 2d50+5 24 10d10+7 67 4d25+8 52

"Yeah, that's it! You did it, Sprocket ol' boy!"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Just Some Intern

"Well, I sure hope you'll do well!"

"No, seriously, I need this course credit or I'll be indentured."

ATTITUDE RUMBLE: 1d100+10 20

BITS CRUSHER: 10d10+10 78

IMPLICATIONS FLASH: 4d25+9 62

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Spices: -/-/G/-/-
(-2 Green / -3 Blue / +1 Yellow)

The reforged horror competes with synthetic muscles and a dull scorn.

Attitude Rumble: 1d100+4 92
Awe Staredown: 2d50+10 54
Tricks Gamble: 1d100-11 65

malbogio fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 21, 2020

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"Okay, do your... stuff?"

BITS CRUSHER: 10d10+4 61

"Hey, not bad! Although... the others are also really strong, but... you can do it!"

IMPLICATIONS FLASH: 4d25+6 70

"... that was great!! I think? Um, Hee, what is..."

TRICKS GAMBLE: 1d100-4 64

"... a triple backflip?! Where did you learn to do that? .. Can you show me? Please? You can, um, bite me if you want..."

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"This is it, Spawnma! You can do it! I believe in you!" yelled Sid, secretly crossing his fingers behind his back with one hand while peeking through the fingers of his other.

Some of those other Horrors looked... grody. And not in a good way. Good grief, what had they been feeding their poor charges?!

Well, there was nothing to it but to yell out catchphrases and hope for the best.

"AWE STARED-AWE-N - SP-AWE-NMA EDITION!": 2d50+6 30

"TRICK-SPAWN GAMBLE!": 1d100+4 26

"IMPLICATSPAWN FLASH!": 4d25+7 45

He peeked out from behind his hand again to look at the results.

"Aww... dangit."

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

AWE STAREDOWN: 2d50+6 50
TRICKS GAMBLE: 1d100+8 38
IMPLICATIONS FLASH: 4d25+4 49

"Sliem! You... did adequately. C'mon, let's go hoem."

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Once more into the breach, Chum.

Awe Staredown: 2d50+1 59

Bits Crusher: 10d10+1 58

Tricks Gamble: 1d100+1 9

charms
Oct 14, 2012

The omniparasite does a passable job at imitating a show Horror.

ATTITUDE RUMBLE : 36
AWE STAREDOWN : 54
BITS CRUSHER : 41

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Poet

And then I realized
that to be
more attitudinal
I had to
be less
afraid
so
I did it…
I lost my
attitude
and gained
my victory.

Attitude Altitude: 1d100+7 49

Out of the night that covers me,
Purple as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever horrors may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of a staredown
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My eyes are bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the awe of the Zone,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the sprice,
How charged with punishments the location,
I am the master of my horror,
I am the captain of my soul.

Awful Somethings: 2d50+10 49

Burnette said that it couldn’t be done
But I with a chuckle replied
That "maybe it couldn't," but it would be one
Who wouldn't say so till it'd tried.
So it tucked right in with the trace of spice
On his face. If it worried it hid it.
It started to sing as it tackled the thing
That couldn’t be done, and he did it!

Burnette scoffed: "Oh, you’ll never do that;
At least no one ever has done it;"
But I took off my coat and I took off my hat
And the first thing we knew Burnette had begun it.
With a lift of my chin and a bit of a grin,
Without any doubting or quiddit,
It started to sing as it tackled the thing
That couldn't be done, and it did it.

There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,
There are thousands to prophesy failure,
There are thousands to point out to you one by one,
The dangers that wait to assail you.
But just buckle in with a bit of a grin,
Just take off your coat and go to it;
Just start in to sing as you tackle the thing
That "cannot be done," and you'll do it.

Implications Inception: 4d25+2 42

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Let's go, Screamer Pissing, I guess. Ugh, I go through all this trouble on my awesome outfit and there's almost no one here.

Implications Flash: 4d25+2 50
Awe Staredown: 2d50+0 69 nice
Bits Crusher: 10d10-1 59

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

For many of the trainers, this was the first time seeing their competitors. Man, what a bunch of freaks. Unlike their own Horror, which was… well, anyhow. The stands had been set up for a larger crowd than was present, and the voids yawned emptily. Ah, well, this was only the Carnival’s first year. On the other hand, it was hard to muster up a lot of sympathy for a failed corp PR stunt anyhow. Whatever happened in the future, they still had their precious memories with their Horrors!

First up: the Attitude Rumble. This event showcased the Horrors’ ‘tude to the utmost. Each of them got ten minutes to pose and preen and show off their sick gains to the crowd. After a thorough examination of each by impartial JudgR androids, an objective score was assigned to each as follows…

ATTITUDE RUMBLE posted:

MEEP 92
    PEK PEK 63
    HOPPING BLORPUS 54
    BURNETTE 49
    SCRAM 36
    HORROR #1 20

“Attention: Shelby Turpentine’s Meep is a superlative example of ATTITUDE. Gaze upon its cool metal glinting in the spotlight, smooth lines and coloration contrasting with the scornful gaze of its many eyes. Top marks.”
Next, the Awe Staredown. In this event, the many entrants are arranged in a circle (really a decagon) and allowed to simply stare at eachother until only one remains. Blinking isn’t so much an issue – as several of the competitors did not, er, have eyes – as the presence exuded by the Horror in question. The lights dimmed…

AWE STAREDOWN posted:

SCREAMING PISSER 69
    HROOM 68
    CHOLMONDELEY 59
    MEEP 54
    SCRAM 54
    SLIEM 50
    BURNETTE 49
    KONDO 46
    SPAWNMA 30
    SPROCKET 24

“Attention: Shebbly Finkus’s Screaming Pisser is simply ominous. Look at it, hanging in the air without a flicker of effort. Is it even there, inside? Does it see all, or naught at all? Does it know it has won the day, or has it cast its mind back into the distant reaches of the past? It may or may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but in the eyes of this JudgR it is certainly an all star Horror.”
The Bits Crusher showcases the sheer strength of the Horror. The contestants are presented with a pile of garbage interesting and novel materials and offered the opportunity to destroy them in the most appealing way. Let us watch – and make sure you wear the offered safety goggles!

BITS CRUSHER posted:

HORROR #1 78
    SPROCKET 67
    KONDO 67
    HOPPING BLORPUS 62
    HELIOGABALUS 61
    SCREAMING PISSER 59
    CHOLMONDELEY 58
    PEK PEK 44
    SCRAM 41
    HROOM 36

“Attention: The Intern’s Horror #1, however lazy the name may be, is a paragon of BITS, and it was a favourite coming into this competition. Due to its trainer’s thorough scouring of Caphraxis Vale, we JudgRs were unsurprised to find it excelling in this field. Top marks!”
The Tricks Gamble is a strange one, relying on a queer sort of luck. Unusually – and controversially – a higher Tricks score is actually a penalty here, but that is the nature of Tricks: if you think you’ve understood it, you missed something, somewhere! The Horrors circle one another, waiting for the opportune moment to strike. This is a game of bluff and double bluff, of attempting to surprise the others without being surprised yourself – unless that, in itself, would be a surprise!

TRICKS GAMBLE posted:

HOPPING BLORPUS 7
    CHOLMONDELEY 9
    SPAWNMA 26
    KONDO 29
    PEK PEK 37
    SLIEM 38
    HELIOGABALUS 64
    MEEP 65

“Attention: There has been a Trick! TRICKS GAMBLE rewards the lowest score, and therefore Linolea’s Hopping Blorpus is the victor! Multi-scarred and hacked up by life’s misadventures, here is a Horror that best exemplifies rolling with the TRICKS of the world!”
And the final event, saucy and enticing as a half glimpsed dream, the Implications Flash! The Horrors are gathered in a darkened arena and giving the chance to arrange themselves as they wish before the countdown has finished. And then, for one blinding moment, a flash of light. In that momentary flash, they are revealed in all their glory, backlit by glory. Basically whoever looks coolest wins!

IMPLICATIONS FLASH posted:

HELIOGABALUS 70
    HORROR #1 62
    SPROCKET 52
    SCREAMING PISSER 50
    SLIEM 49
    SPAWNMA 45
    HROOM 44
    BURNETTE 42

“Attention: Zark Trimble’s Heliogabalus is a force to be reckoned with in the field of IMPLICATIONS! It boasts an obvious array of fine features sure to make any Horror aficionado stand up and take notice, but it hints at so much more! That gleaming carapace, the faintly luminous maw, the leafy… plumage? Magnífico!”
And with that, the Carnival is over. As the echoes of the last JudgR’s words fade to nothing, the tent is already unfurling; the central column retracting into its base post, the tent itself unraveling and folding into itself like some bizarre rose blooming in reverse. The night sky of Cygnus-IV is revealed in all its grimy glory, the twinkling lights of the Orbital Boneyard outshining the stars beyond. People start to filter away, to better places, leaving behind this worn-out old world. The trainers, win or lose, pat their Horrors and brush their dusty scales until they purr in delight. No one from GGG came to claim the beasts, so apparently they got to keep them. After a few pleasantries with the others, the exchanging of a few words of congratulations or vengeance, they too drift apart.

The people of Cygnus-IV, alone again, breath a collective sigh of relief, and go about their lives.

And Secure Zone Delta-4 remains, unchanging.
Do not go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

And I made it by the end of this year (where I am, anyhow!)
I hope you enjoyed it, even though it was far slower than intended. Remember to vote on your way out, but by all means ask away if you have any questions or comments. And, hey, if want buy me a coffee, check out my Ko-Fi! And that's all there is; there isn't anymore.