Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
On the other hand, the show worked really hard to portray Cody as a mastermind. So, I feel like he's going to be thought of as the upper echelon of winners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh. People also say Tyler is the greatest player of all time and Jackson is the coolest winner in 10 years. I get in dumb arguments online. I don't mind defending my positions. "What did Cody mastermind?" I'll concede them if they come.

To wit, here's my case. Kaycee played the same game Cody played. She stayed under the radar, people liked her, she kept good with the power, and won comps at the end. The one mark Cody has over her is she went on the block once or twice, but never as a target. On the other hand Kaycee did it in her first try, without the benefit of pre-gaming, beat the frontrunning player in the cast, and had a number of key victories and big moves in a season where power actually shifted.

Kaycee is Cody if Cody had beaten Derrick.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Wait, there are Jackson supporters? I am glad I haven't seen that.

Also, I started looking up previous seasons of Big Brother, and my mind has completely forgotten about BB17. I watched it all. I remember John being fun and weird. But I wonder if more people would remember the season if Vanessa won.

Or maybe this is just a me problem.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I contend BB17 is the best season in the New School era. Not only is it one of the only seasons in recent memory (besides BB15 and BB19) where the minority successfully flipped the house on the majority (but they did it without the racism and misery). And the power actually flipped in the house FOUR times. Steve's an underwhelming winner but that season had stuff happening from beginning to end. Johnny Mac was bizarre, Vanessa is a top 3 New School player in my book, James and Day are both returning America Favorites, Jason had an online season built around him, Austin is a wrestling dinosaur who also played a pretty good game, and Becky was hit in the face with a train. BB17 rules.

But not a lot of people agree with me. I think more people have your memory of it. I chalk it up to people attaching to the Gremlins and them being FOUTTE level idiots.

And yeah, theres a lot of people who insist last season was great gameplay because Jackson was an "underdog" and "power flipped." I think its silly and BB21 was just a typical house majority dominance except the house majority were all assholes to each other, but there's also a lot of "about time a real man won" and "drat social justice warrior" takes so its complicated.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 29, 2020

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
Chevy tuned up like a Nascar pitstop
Well and a key thing in BB 17 was Becky had Vanessa's number and the power to cut her fairly early on. Then later Vanessa escapes a dire POV play by manipulating Julia into accidentally betraying her LITERAL TWIN. And then convinced them it was accidental.

Cody never once faced adversity. Which it can be argued that is infact a flawless game. It's just super boring and hard to distinguish from luck.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Becky had Vanessa's number, had her dead to rights, on the block, as the target. And Vanessa survived because she had an ace in the hole in Steve. It wasn't a deal where Becky hosed up like this season, she just got outplayed. It was some really great play and counter play stuff. The whole season is like that. There's a fair bit of just straight up stupidity from the Gremlins or that time Austin and Liz schemed to tell Jason about the Twins but Liz didn't tell Julia so Julia and Vanessa schemed to backdoor Austin because they thought he had betrayed them. But even that poo poo was just fun and goofy.

And we haven't even mentioned Audrey.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Audrey "Blanket Queen" Middleton

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the reason Enzo got trashed so hard is because the jury saw his gameplay as too passive by comparison. imo Cody and Enzo are both just shades of each other, neither of them did anything really impressive psychologically/socially that I can tell, but the difference is Enzo just rode the wave and stayed off the radar without manipulating much of anything to make it that way. It didn't really fall in his lap per se, but you can't go to the jury and say "I did nothing risky or impressive all game and therefore I deserve the win!" He tried to pull that "ah but a true puppetmaster goes unnoticed" spiel at the end but they didn't buy it.

edit: Cody is what I'd call "best of a bad lot". When they namedropped Dan in the finale my super-fan sister scoffed at the idea of Cody being in his league at all lol

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 30, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Enzo might win in another season with different people, but yeah, whatever he did right Cody did too. And while Cody didn't mastermind anything he had very visible agendas and alliances that won out. Enzo never had that. He spent the entire season saying "I don't care what happens" and everyone believed it. Maybe if he was sitting next to a goat that would have been good enough, but he was sitting next to the perceived front runner. Enzo never had an end game plan just like he didn't last time and he seemed to actually kind of freak out about it at the end as he realized he was the goat.

In keeping with disappointment all I wanted from BB22 was for ONE person to repeat their finish. For Cody, Dani, or Memphis to lose at F2 or for Enzo to get dumped at F3. And drat BB22 couldn't even give me that.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I think the fact that I can't remember BB17 well makes it the best newer season. All the other ones had this gross stuff attached to it that seems to be seared into my brain.

BB22 gave exactly what was expected, but not what anyone wanted.

e: Is there any post-BB interviews done? I want to see if Nicole reacts to her being dropped by a ton of sponsors. I assume nothing will come of this.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 30, 2020

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The Big Brother feed of Rob has a Podcast has interviews with the final 3

Edit:

BB17 is great. I agree that had Vanessa won it would be better remembered.

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
I mean that said Steve understood his situation and did what he had to do. I respect the win.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Twin Cinema posted:

BB22 gave exactly what was expected, but not what anyone wanted.

I'll admit I never saw a season this bad coming. I was legitimately excited about this show for the first time in years when I heard it was All Stars and that I didn't hate anyone in the cast.

I lasted two weeks watching this show. I think I at least made it 5 weeks last season...

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I don’t think very highly of Cody’s game this season. The power never left the alliance he was drafted into once this season.

Great players are able to navigate through tough weeks where they would be targeted, and the power lies outside their alliance, but that never came.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In an effort to avoid politics and find distractions I did some BB searching. Yeah, I know. I don’t make good decisions. So here’s what I learned.

- There doesn’t seem to me to be much push for Cody as a “GOAT” or anything. The highest I see him getting ranked is like below someone like Maggie or Hayden. It seems like whether you respect Cody’s game or not most everyone still sees BB22 as JV poo poo.

- Whole lot of racist backlash against Day winning AFH and insistence that the vote was rigged to advance politically correct agendas.

- Kevin says Dani, Day, and Ian hated Nicole and she had no chance to win. Ian was apparently really annoyed at Nicole treating him like a kid and Dani was hardcore poisoning the jury against her. The MIGHT have voted for her against Enzo if she had cut Cody.

- Nicole claims she would have taken Cody to F2 but who knows? She’s says she feels deeply hurt and his invitation to her wedding is “lost in the mail” so it benefits her to claim she was loyal even if she wasn’t.

- Halloween night Nicole unfollowed every BB22 HG, Derrick, Paulie, Cody’s girlfriend, Britney, Kaitlyn (?), Andy, Haleigh, Kat, Julie Chen, and her ex Hayden. She’s taking things well.

- Kevin and Day had some massive falling out in the Jury House and stopped talking. It seems like it was about Kevin’s resentment that Day wasn’t counting him as a black houseguest. Apparently Day felt Kevin was talking behind her back and Kevin felt Day was making it about her when it was his thing. Kevin says he and David were isolated again in the Jury House and that he had problems with Dani over stuff like the Ian vote. I guess Day was really mad when she found out Dani was in on that but then Dani came into the house pushing that Nicole was to blame for it and Kevin pushed back or something. Its all very messy.

- Day claims she never called David an “Uncle Tom” but rather that she said people on social media called him one. Which strikes me as a distinction without a difference. Its unfortunate and messy.

- Kevin says Ian knew about Memphis mocking his autism and was hurt by it. Kevin says the whole house had kind of put together what had happened and it was an open secret but Memphis still hasn’t apologized.

- Ian on the other hand apologized for calling Kevin and David “inferior players” with his little meltdown on eviction and calling Bay “Day”, and acknowledged them as “microaggressions.” Please don’t read the replies. https://twitter.com/TulaneTerry/status/1322361083529777152

- Janelle continues to have a lot of fun on twitter at the expense of Nicole.

- Day called Christmas a “one foot felon” in response to the stuff Christmas said about Day shooting and stabbing her. Janelle found that really funny. Christmas’ mom then attacked Janelle’s 6 and 8 year old daughters on Instagram? The hell?

- Kevin says Ian “attempted to escape” the Jury House and “literally climbed the fence”.s Ian says he merely stared longingly through the holes in the fence at the outside world.

- America’s Favorite.

Well… it distracted me for an hour. Not sure it was a positive distraction but lateral at worst.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I’m shocked that a woman who named her child Christmas has poor decision making skills.

Also, rescinding an invitation to a destination wedding is one of the nicest things you can do for a person.

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
drat good for Ian. I like that he a) just straight up said "I'm sorry" and b) drew attention to his bad behavior that could have easily been lost in the shuffle.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

That is exactly what I needed, STAC.

And yeah, I am glad Ian didn't try to gloss over his comments. He could have just as easily said nothing tried to deflect blame.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/hamsterwatch/status/1325924208350617600

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well at least someone watched the last couple of seasons of Big Brother and said "something has to change." That's somewhat reassuring.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

That’s a good first step. A poo poo ton of other things to address after that.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

If Nicole really wanted to look good, she'd say she would have cut Cody. But she said she'd have kept him while in the house, and right after getting out, and I'm inclined to believe it.

Sorry to hear about people being lovely to Kevin and David (although they weren't great players!)

TyrantWD posted:

I don’t think very highly of Cody’s game this season. The power never left the alliance he was drafted into once this season.

Great players are able to navigate through tough weeks where they would be targeted, and the power lies outside their alliance, but that never came.
The thing is, strategically he always got what he wanted, but it was always very simple and straightforward and it always came very easily because of the social dominance of he and his clique. So it was dominant in just the most boring way.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Thread necromancy, but it appears that Memphis and Christmas have gotten engaged

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

ShakeZula posted:

Thread necromancy, but it appears that Memphis and Christmas have gotten engaged

just dating i think. getting married would have been super weird since they were both with other people during their time in the house.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Robyn Kass has “moved on” and will no longer be casting Big Brother. Hopefully that means the next season will see a huge overhaul in their casting types.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Teek posted:

Robyn Kass has “moved on” and will no longer be casting Big Brother. Hopefully that means the next season will see a huge overhaul in their casting types.

Oh wow. That is huge. Gives me hope for the future.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Big brother Canada 9 is already a shitshow and it hasn’t started yet

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

sbaldrick posted:

Big brother Canada 9 is already a shitshow and it hasn’t started yet

What happened?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
One of the guys they cast may be an abusive dipshit as might be his replacement.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I don’t know if anyone else is watching BBCan but this is the best cast in ages

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Yes it is.
The live feeds have been hectic the last few days too, except for how often they cut them out.
I think it has to do with them trying to avoid showing any possible controversial fight that happened last year.
The not-so-dominant Sunsetters are crumbling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Closing this thread, BB 23 threads will be coming in a week or so when the cast is revealed.