Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Kilza posted:

Update: His brothers are named Orca, Ocean and Oasiz. :psyduck:

This is why CPS needs more funding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If Ozzy is the oldest then there's a chance the parents are millenials but it's likely they're actually GenXers.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Still mad about the names Mavrik and Ridly. God dammit these names need vowels you monsters

e: loving this pick

https://twitter.com/hailey_salvian/status/1313676967342899208?s=21

The Dirty Burger fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 7, 2020

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Someone tell me about Mercer

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kilza posted:

Stars pick Mavrik Bourque

bork bork bork

Dallas: Mavrik?

Heh

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Kilza posted:

So who's going to be the Martin Erat equivalent they trade him for at the trade deadline? :v:

This is hurtful.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/kristen_shilton/status/1313880670050095104

God drat it Dubas!!!

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Ottawa has half of UNDs roster as prospects, saves a ton on scout travel costs

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I think the Leafs drafted the coronavirus.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Another solid future top 6 winger. Good job so far, Kyle.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1313899899914784775

Later rounds will get faster, but it's still funny.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

A quick, nimble defenceman. Finnish.

This guy will get a Norris one day.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Drunk Canuck posted:

A quick, nimble defenceman. Finnish.

This guy will get a Norris one day.

Leafs having a great blogger draft while making guys like Burke’s head explode is great.

Three guys listed at 168, 164 and 163 lbs after his press conference is a tremendous troll job by Dubas.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/1313955491027070976

Take that, Devils fans

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1313969319236300800

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/1313945760443043840?s=20
hey, a kid i refereed quite a bit got drafted! (he moved to St Louis as a 16U because Lubos Bartecko convinced him he'd be better off developing in the US--which considering he started in both the NAHL and the USHL as an '02 was a good idea. Dobie even played local high-school hockey, and I remember his school's student section was a sea of Czech flags and Jagr wigs during big games.)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The Leafs complete an excellent name-centred draft with the 5'10", 200lb Wyannt Schingoethe. Just great names all around.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Wings drafted Draper's kid with their last pick. Slightly more expensive from a value point than a dollar i suppose

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

clean ayers act posted:

Wings drafted Draper's kid with their last pick. Slightly more expensive from a value point than a dollar i suppose

They also drafted Adrian Aucoin‘s son.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Is there no offseason thread now? Perhaps in the process?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fawning deference posted:

Is there no offseason thread now? Perhaps in the process?

It is time for a new offseason thread, in time for free agency.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Is there any value in reading how a writer grades a team's draft? Like, it's interesting as a fan of the team to see what kind of player the team drafted, but the overall score just seems so useless.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

clicks

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Is there any value in reading how a writer grades a team's draft? Like, it's interesting as a fan of the team to see what kind of player the team drafted, but the overall score just seems so useless.

I think the ratings are more useful as a tool to “lock in” someone’s evaluations so they can go back 3-5 and see how their ratings stack up and what they got right/wrong. But yeah, I don’t think they really mean anything right now and I read them more just to figure out which 18 year old I should irrationally root for.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Prospects are so underdeveloped at 18 that any sort of quantitative assessment of their skillset is essentially soothsaying. Focusing on statlines and statistical similarity to assign a rough percentage of success has some merit but that makes for far less interesting reading so "what he lacks in motor he makes up for with crisp passes and a sixth sense for evading checks" is what we get. Assigning draft grades 18 hours later is mostly silly exercise, especially for Pronman who just makes up an arbitrary scoring system based on his (decidedly limited) viewings of each player and then ranks teams against it.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/JeffVeillette/status/1314008906964897793

Trust nothing but pre-draft assessments, as they contain least bias of players.

Unless that player is given a Malkin comparable, trust that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

If there's one thing in sports that decidedly overrated it's in person scouting. Teams could save a boat load by during firing the guys they have all over the world and just letting the stats guys run prospects through their programs. The success rate is at worst a wash but likely far higher.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

If there's one thing in sports that decidedly overrated it's in person scouting. Teams could save a boat load by during firing the guys they have all over the world and just letting the stats guys run prospects through their programs. The success rate is at worst a wash but likely far higher.

You could probably get decent results from the CHL where at least everyone is playing against comperable peers but I think you’d miss a lot in Europe and even NCAA where physical maturity is makes a much bigger difference. Like I don’t know how instructive the stats of a 17 year old boys playing against 28 year old men in the KHL are going to be other than for extreme outliers.

Like I think in person pro scouting is pretty much useless but at 18 I think you still need some in person viewings. There’s also all the smaller leagues where the stats just aren’t there or reliable yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

ThinkTank posted:

There's probably some value in trying to evaluate a players skills, style of play, ability to process the game, and projecting that to the NHL level...but that's also so objective

Like some guys can put up a ton of points in the lower levels but their skating may be sub par, or there's too much "juniors" in their game and they can't process the game at a higher level. Could stats pick that up? Could an experienced scout?
I think part of the downfall of in person scouting is that scouts get favorites or they get too "cute" trying to project things

I wonder how someone like Brendl would have graded out with a purely stats based approach. On the other hand, scouts should have realized he couldn't fuckin' skate to save his life and that was a huge red flag