Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

As a kid my dad had a pc at a time when almost Noone had them, and of course all I was interested in was games.

Jill of the jungle
Jane's advance strike fighter
Silent hunter
Prince of Persia (too hard)

Were games I'd spend hours upon hours on.

I dreamed of getting the second part of Jill of the jungle, never found it until I was too old to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Honestly kids and younger adults today are awesome because they have way more interest in and appreciation for older media than I did at their ages. The only thing I find alien is the entire modern concept of fandom, shipping, kinning, etc. and even then that basically existed in the early internet and it was just something I wasn't really into.

I totally get retreating into nostalgia as a way of coping with the exhaustion and depression of living through coronavirus but as I get older I mostly find that revisiting old stuff from my youth usually leaves me disappointed. Partially because even movies from as recently as a decade ago like The Hangover are usually so full of slurs and shittiness that bring them down and partially because a lot of the mediums that I enjoy like videogames and televisions have experienced such major advancements that things that amazed me in the past come up wanting now. Even this very site, when I go through the comedy goldmine I mostly just cringe at how lovely the people in them are and how things like blackmailing your gay uncle by threatening to out him or harassing grieving parents of dead kids were seen as totally epic and lulzworthy.

It sucks having your finite supply of nostalgia shrink as you grow as a person but them's the breaks I guess.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Do little kids still like the original 1977 Star Wars?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Telebite posted:

Do little kids still like the original 1977 Star Wars?

Yeah because obsessive parents will shove it down their throats the moment they're old enough to sit them in front of a screen.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Yeah because obsessive parents will shove it down their throats the moment they're old enough to sit them in front of a screen.

A coworker who didn't do that but showed them the movies in order when they were older said his kids found the original ones boring but liked the prequels more.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A Strange Aeon posted:

A coworker who didn't do that but showed them the movies in order when they were older said his kids found the original ones boring but liked the prequels more.

That’s abusive, he should have raised them to be oblivious to the existence of the prequels and just let them find out later

I’m nostalgic about 80s nuclear paranoia, I might have even posted something about it already idk. But I’ve been loving the Atomic Hobo podcast lately, it’s really rekindled my interest.

eBay just started giving out $25 codes for old accounts so I spent mine on this old Swiss protest poster

Wattsamatta
Feb 24, 2008

Howie Long was my favorite football player when I was a kid.

His children have retired from the NFL.

:smith:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Snowy posted:

That’s abusive, he should have raised them to be oblivious to the existence of the prequels and just let them find out later

I’m nostalgic about 80s nuclear paranoia, I might have even posted something about it already idk. But I’ve been loving the Atomic Hobo podcast lately, it’s really rekindled my interest.

eBay just started giving out $25 codes for old accounts so I spent mine on this old Swiss protest poster

I found a really well done satirical children's book about nuclear war you'd probably love. It has activities and stuff but the subject matter is super dark. For example, there's a flip book throughout that shows a family dying in the seconds after a nuclear bomb goes off.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I feel like I kept up with the trends really well, I grew up on the internet, spent my life on the internet, I remember the war with ebaums and how that was such a big deal at the time, I saw the birth of youtube, I was involved in ytmnd back when that was somehow relevant... I never thought I'd hit the point where I felt old, but something in the past, 4? Years? The internet suddenly changed and I'm so confused by it. There are teenagers now making livelihoods by broadcasting and monetizing their entire lives, websites have been replaced with apps, the internet went from a thousand weird tiny islands to a handful of corporate-policed super-cities and I did not make the transition into it very well. I don't actually feel like I want to make the transition into it.

That article about the TikTok house is just, I cannot understand that, and I hate that. I really didn't think I'd ever have to feel old, I thought I'd be able to keep up. I'm old, and I no longer have legal rights, tbh. When I say I grew up on the internet, I mean I grew up having a dozen alts, fastidiously controlling what I said with what name, because the idea of anyone being able to know anything about you was super not good. Now everyone grows up documenting their life on public media?? It's alien to me, the world has become alien, and it's alien in a way I don't want to gain understanding of.

So I mod and play Morrowind, the same game I've been playing for 20 years, because that's the best familiarity I can get. I first played it when I was graduating highschool, in that liminal space where the future is at its most vague and promising, so other than being a really solid game still, it has a lot of that sort of... bittersweet nostalgia? Dramatic irony?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A Strange Aeon posted:

I found a really well done satirical children's book about nuclear war you'd probably love. It has activities and stuff but the subject matter is super dark. For example, there's a flip book throughout that shows a family dying in the seconds after a nuclear bomb goes off.

Sounds good, what’s it called?

I was definitely given Barefoot Gen way too early but then we had graphic photo books about stuff like that, they were worse.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

My mum and her husband moved next door to the house I grew up in as a kid. It's weird going back to that neighbourhood after 20+ years and seeing a lot of the same houses and landmarks (some architecturally designed houses especially, like stuff from the 80s and 90s is now all incredibly dated), but also a lot of changes. There are really subtle things, like there was a corner shop at the top of a hill down the end of one street, and I always remember it was a big trek and getting up that hill was a huge effort, but as kids we did it because we wanted to buy an ice cream.
As an adult, the 'hill' is barely an incline, and the corner shop is gone :smith:

There used to be some other - I guess you might call it civic design stuff - like a pipe that flowed out into a local river. When I was young it had nothing covering it, you could just wade down into knee deep water and go inside this big pipe (about chest high on a 6 foot tall person), but everyone was too scared because it was pitch black, and a bit slimy. A few people had stories that they had been inside and seen or heard weird things. That was the exciting mystery that came with being a kid. Today it's all covered up, there's a cage around it so you can't even get close to the opening.

I saw them live in March. They've been talking about doing new stuff.

I was looking at youtube recommended videos last night and clicked on...some artist, they were popular about 15 years ago, but all of my recommends turned into 90s/2000s pop punk music, and I totally forgot that Weezer was a band that I used to listen to regularly. Regarding music, I never got into vinyl but still have all of my CDs (have never owned any records or a record player, have never sat around with people listening to their records). Of course, I stopped buying CDs once I learned how to pirate music and just burned CDs for myself, but then MP3 players came along, and I only kept buying music for artists that I already liked and supported, or if it was something recommended by a friend. I think the last artist I remember choosing at random just because they looked like they could be interesting was The Flaming Lips with Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots. Anyway, I still have an ipod classic and I still use it regularly.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FlocksOfMice posted:

I feel like I kept up with the trends really well, I grew up on the internet, spent my life on the internet, I remember the war with ebaums and how that was such a big deal at the time, I saw the birth of youtube, I was involved in ytmnd back when that was somehow relevant... I never thought I'd hit the point where I felt old, but something in the past, 4? Years? The internet suddenly changed and I'm so confused by it. There are teenagers now making livelihoods by broadcasting and monetizing their entire lives, websites have been replaced with apps, the internet went from a thousand weird tiny islands to a handful of corporate-policed super-cities and I did not make the transition into it very well. I don't actually feel like I want to make the transition into it.

That article about the TikTok house is just, I cannot understand that, and I hate that. I really didn't think I'd ever have to feel old, I thought I'd be able to keep up. I'm old, and I no longer have legal rights, tbh. When I say I grew up on the internet, I mean I grew up having a dozen alts, fastidiously controlling what I said with what name, because the idea of anyone being able to know anything about you was super not good. Now everyone grows up documenting their life on public media?? It's alien to me, the world has become alien, and it's alien in a way I don't want to gain understanding of.

So I mod and play Morrowind, the same game I've been playing for 20 years, because that's the best familiarity I can get. I first played it when I was graduating highschool, in that liminal space where the future is at its most vague and promising, so other than being a really solid game still, it has a lot of that sort of... bittersweet nostalgia? Dramatic irony?

It's been that way for everyone who lived long enough. Douglas Adams summed it up:

quote:

“I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.”
I'd add a 2.5 to that list "Between fifteen and thirty-five, you will be disgusted by how old people don't embrace new things and be convinced that will never be you. It will."

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

TheMostFrench posted:

I think the last artist I remember choosing at random just because they looked like they could be interesting was The Flaming Lips with Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots. Anyway, I still have an ipod classic and I still use it regularly.

6 years ago I got a lunch break at work that perfectly coincided with The Flaming Lips doing an insane free concert a block away. I managed to show up in time for Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots and see the rest of the set.

This is a recording of it, Yoshimi starts at 17 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFZKt4zSm1k

It was one of the best concerts I've ever been to, and definitely the best lunch break I've ever had even though I failed to eat anything. They're so drat good.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Snowy posted:

Sounds good, what’s it called?

I was definitely given Barefoot Gen way too early but then we had graphic photo books about stuff like that, they were worse.

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_nuclear_war_fun_book_morbid_laffs_from_the_end_of_the_world

Has a good article about it and some pictures.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Hey guys remember back in the day when dicks worked? Nowadays dicks just don't work the way they used to.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Alucard posted:

Hey guys remember back in the day when dicks worked? Nowadays dicks just don't work the way they used to.

It's true; now it stays hard forever, like an ice sculpture, pleasing no one.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Second only to the Emergency Broadcast System Beep as an attention grabber

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I too miss AIM. I tried Discord but I felt like an absolute grandpa. By the time I managed to type a meaningful message, the thing I was replying to had been scrolled off the screen by like twenty emojis and posts about young-person-issues (“ugh mom is making me clean my room!”) so I just looked like a mentalist talking to myself. I like neocities but even that’s filled with this kind of anime uwu tumblr aesthetic that I don’t know how to engage with. And frankly I’d feel like a pedophile if I did know. There should be a separate internet for over-30s tbh

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've been cranky my whole life, so if anything getting older is just making my habits seem more normal.

That said it was weird working with late teen/early 20 year olds who were just openly talking about all the anime and dorky video games they were getting into. It's not a bad thing, but it's a departure from my high school years for sure. Gonna be weird to talk about my youth with my kids/grandkids one day, and how comparatively closed off kids my age were.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9DfSCk-6Ko

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I remembered what I was thinking of, and it was this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d8xcy2Fteo

Which was pretty good as far as I can remember. It was no Monkey Island or Fate of Atlantis but it wasn't bad.

I had that game on my Sega CD and loved it, but those load times... woof. To give your hands something to do while it loaded, it had a controllable screensaver that came up when you held the pause button with a bunch of white balls that you could move around in different patterns. And on the Sega CD you could actually play a game on Willy's Nintari.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I was really into message boards and oekaki boards as a kid, and to me the coolest thing ever was to have your own website. The total anonyminity was wonderful for a nerdy shy kid, I could go nuts about Digimon or whatever all I wanted and it didn't matter who I was, I could just swing in anywhere and have fun and leave whenever I wanted to.
I was in college when a friend insisted I join facebook, and it was the antithesis of everything I knew about the internet - use my real name, photos, and people I knew in real life could add me as a friend? I used it for a week and then swore off it entirely.
I knew then that it was gonna be a huge thing and for the first time I could see a big shift in technology that I was not prepared for and not on board with. And it's true, social media as a whole has more or less passed me by. I'm quiet and I keep to myself, I'm just not equipped to deal with having an online "presence" and constant conversations going on everywhere at once. It's too much.
Now it just feels flip flopped where everyone is talking about what someone said in group chat or posted on their instagram and I'm the one who doesn't know much about what's happening on the internet. Somebody my mother's age asks me to help do something on facebook, I say I don't know, I don't use facebook

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3ZVZVMIG7g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Goths and punks of bygone days, that's a good video for sure.