Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Another possible fate for Jod is in the series' title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Has there been any word on an Alecto release date?
Nona came out about 2 years after Harrow, and its been 18 months since Nona...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

StumblyWumbly posted:

Has there been any word on an Alecto release date?
Nona came out about 2 years after Harrow, and its been 18 months since Nona...

Tamsyn's not in a great way, is my understanding, so it will come out when it comes out. Apparently there's a speculative 2025 date but I think that's just a placeholder.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

sebmojo posted:

Tamsyn's not in a great way, is my understanding, so it will come out when it comes out. Apparently there's a speculative 2025 date but I think that's just a placeholder.

Oof, good luck to her, she's an absolute treasure and I hope she stays healthy.

Zierham
Dec 17, 2004
"Put something in otherwise you get stupid newbie"
Mr. Teatime: Your wife is an amazing artist!

sebmojo posted:

I used to chide myself that artists/creators (in whatever medium) don't owe their audience anything whenever GRRM's writing delays came up (of course, this was like A LITERAL loving DECADE AGO). I've since stopped caring about that particular series but I guess the same underlying truism applies here, except with a whole lot more good will attached to it. Will echo StumblyWumbly that I hope she focuses on herself and stays/gets healthy and I look forward to getting Alecto when/if ever she may grace us with it :)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I'm a lot more sympathetic to not giving an author poo poo for delays when they don't spend years promising "next year soon for real!" for years until they stop, george but feast for crows killed all my interest there anyway

so, you know, hope things improve for tamsyn soon lookin forward to the book but you know, the book's not the most important thing in this sentence

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

As long as she doesn't pull a Stephen King and try to get herself run over by a van, we will all just have to deal with the wait.

Edit: my first reaction upon hearing King had been hit by a car was to think "aw gently caress now he'll never finish it"

mdemone fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 19, 2024

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

neongrey posted:

I'm a lot more sympathetic to not giving an author poo poo for delays when they don't spend years promising "next year soon for real!" for years until they stop, george but feast for crows killed all my interest there anyway

so, you know, hope things improve for tamsyn soon lookin forward to the book but you know, the book's not the most important thing in this sentence

It also really changes things that she's apparently got something going on that's messing her up whereas GRRM just spent the last twenty years perfectly fine but utterly unable to finish his series. If we get to 2034 and are still waiting on Alecto but Muir's releasing a "Galactic Atlas" or "Complete List of Every House Member Ever (Volume 3: Second House Part 2)", I will start feeling like it's time to give her poo poo. In the meantime, no motivation to do anything except wish her a speedy recovery and/or resolution to whatever's up.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
don't worry; in the worst case the backup plan is to parachute in brandon sanderson to finish the series

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

redleader posted:

don't worry; in the worst case the backup plan is to parachute in brandon sanderson to finish the series

That makes me incredibly worried.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
At least it's not Kevin J. Anderson

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

3 Action Economist posted:

At least it's not Kevin J. Anderson

oh, good point. he has more experience in this sort of genre

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
writers can't really afford to have things "go wrong", i'm very worried

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

redleader posted:

I can imagine no worse fate for this series than for Branderson to get his fingers all over it

Zierham
Dec 17, 2004

Strange Cares posted:

I can imagine no worse fate for this series than for Branderson to get his fingers all over it

As someone who actually enjoys Sanderson's stuff, I can't help but agree. The magic here is the literal inverse of Sanderson's style/method.

mewse
May 2, 2006

You complete one abandoned book series and then everyone proposes you to finish every other book series everywhere until the end of time

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

mewse posted:

You complete one abandoned book series and then everyone proposes you to finish every other book series everywhere until the end of time

Honestly if you get a reputation for it in other industries then it’s not that unusual. I have a feeling, for example, very few people know how many beloved scripts Carrie Fisher finished/doctored/overhauled. It’s fun to think about who would finish a series if for whatever reason the original author can’t do it, but also a little ghoulish

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Zierham posted:

As someone who actually enjoys Sanderson's stuff, I can't help but agree. The magic here is the literal inverse of Sanderson's style/method.
Personally I used to enjoy his books a lot but I've recently soured on the guy in a major way.

Yeah, there's the magic, but also style-wise he is a real bad fit, loving as he does the easiest and clearest possible sentence to get across what's going on. Plus, he cannot write a joke to save his life. Also he is a full-blown mormon who tithes to the church so his relationship with religion is... not one that shares the introspection that this series has. And his character relationship-writing is pretty thin at best.

He would finish the plot, but the plot isn't why I like these books. Don't get me wrong, plot is important and I want to see what happens, but the reason I care about what happens isn't the plot. If that makes sense.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kesper North posted:

writers can't really afford to have things "go wrong", i'm very worried

at least she lives in a country with civilized healthcare

Zierham
Dec 17, 2004
Oh, sorry - to clarify by "the magic", I meant what is great about the books.. not the actual magic system! Like you said, Strange Cares, the best part about these books is the polar opposite of what I enjoy about Sanderson's stuff, so him doing it just couldn't work well.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Andrew Hussie will finish the books, as a webcomic.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

MonsieurChoc posted:

Andrew Hussie will finish the books, as a webcomic.

Oh yeah, I finished listening to Homestuck Made This World, having seen exactly zero panels of the comic. Very entertaining stuff.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

silvergoose posted:

Oh yeah, I finished listening to Homestuck Made This World, having seen exactly zero panels of the comic. Very entertaining stuff.

At least listen to the music!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Homestuck is a blast, i just started reading it a week ago.

Also the cake is a lie, guys that's from a little game u haven't probably heard of

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Also the cake is a lie, guys that's from a little game u haven't probably heard of

did you fax that meme to the thread

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sitting Here posted:

did you take a photo of the screen and email that meme to the thread

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

MonsieurChoc posted:

At least listen to the music!

Yeah the music rules, it's the best thing about Homestuck (and I say that as someone who quite likes the comic).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Homestuck peaked with "You wish the knife had failed to launch."

Anyway, art:

https://twitter.com/Marceline2174/status/1781648489207963895/photo/1

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Homestuck peaked with "You wish the knife had failed to launch."

Anyway, art:

https://twitter.com/Marceline2174/status/1781648489207963895/photo/1

aunty g taking the kids for a day out

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Zierham posted:

Oh, sorry - to clarify by "the magic", I meant what is great about the books.. not the actual magic system! Like you said, Strange Cares, the best part about these books is the polar opposite of what I enjoy about Sanderson's stuff, so him doing it just couldn't work well.

Oh that makes sense. My b, didn't mean to go off on you there.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

silvergoose posted:

Have they done a Locked Tomb episode yet? Homestuck Made This World was good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Have they done a Locked Tomb episode yet? Homestuck Made This World was good.

Ranged Touch? Not that I know, no, they mentioned Harrow in passing, but nothing in detail. Maybe someday!

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

silvergoose posted:

Ranged Touch? Not that I know, no, they mentioned Harrow in passing, but nothing in detail. Maybe someday!

Per their Discord, they might do TLT on Shelved by Genre but it wouldn’t be until the series is finished and the fandom is a little more mellow.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

DreamingofRoses posted:

Per their Discord, they might do TLT on Shelved by Genre but it wouldn’t be until the series is finished and the fandom is a little more mellow.

I'm unconvinced that last bit is likely, but cool, good to know!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DreamingofRoses posted:

I never considered the last part since I basically only talk TLT here and with like one other person.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dawgstar posted:

I never considered the last part since I basically only talk TLT here and with like one other person.

The TLT Reddit is actually p deece

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

sebmojo posted:

The TLT Reddit is actually p deece

True; some of the effort posts on there are pretty wild. Pretty decent about spoiler levels, too.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Speaking of Shelved by Genre, has there ever been a comparison between TLT and The Book of the New Sun on Reddit or elsewhere? I listened to their episodes on that and had the strongest sense of de ja vu.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

DreamingofRoses posted:

Speaking of Shelved by Genre, has there ever been a comparison between TLT and The Book of the New Sun on Reddit or elsewhere? I listened to their episodes on that and had the strongest sense of de ja vu.
Been ages since I last read BotNS but I can kinda see them being interestingly compare/contrast’d. Somewhat epic sci-fi/fantasy blend setting, reasonably to very dark tones, unreliable narrators, whose roles in society are strongly associated with death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

bitprophet posted:

Been ages since I last read BotNS but I can kinda see them being interestingly compare/contrast’d. Somewhat epic sci-fi/fantasy blend setting, reasonably to very dark tones, unreliable narrators, whose roles in society are strongly associated with death.

I was also thinking of a Severian/Jod comparison with Sun comparisons, and the whole Thecla + Alzebo process compared to Lyctorhood