Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Literally A Person posted:

Oregon myrtle. It's endemic to a part of the oregon dunes 30 or so miles south of me.

I'm not going to drive 3000 miles to bring you the wrong wood or will I :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'm not going to drive 3000 miles to bring you the wrong wood or will I :wink:

I mean, I always welcome a stranger with hardwood.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Take the barrel I prescribed somewhere near Astoria/cannon beach.
Await no further instructions

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The duck can come

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I'm kind of disappointed we never saw anything you made with the scroll saw posted in this thread.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

therobit posted:

I'm kind of disappointed we never saw anything you made with the scroll saw posted in this thread.

I'm making rings in 5 minutes live, they were cut last time with my new FREE scroll saw:

My shop is a mess, I'm tired and look like a wreck. I'm gonna be schleping around this evening @ 7:45 pst. Come see me at my worse if you want to deserve me at my best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WQsPF7XnSg

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

That amen smilie is the height of just-too-muchery. I love it.
:amen:

why is gambit judas

also despite years of church the only apostles i can think of are judas thomas john peter matthew and simon and i know there are more. like at least 3 more

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Wow that must have been some fine detail cutting to do something that small. I am sure there's a good reason you didn't use a hole saw for it, but what is that reason?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

therobit posted:

Wow that must have been some fine detail cutting to do something that small. I am sure there's a good reason you didn't use a hole saw for it, but what is that reason?

I use a hole saw to cut out the inside of the ring. I cut all of the holes out of the board with the scroll saw so I get some nice little blanks I can take to the grinder. I used to do it with my ryoba saw. It took too long and gave me much more material to remove when I moved onto the grind. Last week I showed that process on the laboring stream. Also I just wanted to show off my new cool saw.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Nice! Have you recently used any luck spray? That might explain it

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

The real question I have is can you use the assembled scroll saw to further disassemble the disassembled scroll saw into scrolly bits

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

inkmoth posted:

The real question I have is can you use the assembled scroll saw to further disassemble the disassembled scroll saw into scrolly bits

A good question. Yes. Yes I could.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I want a free table saw

A big one. The pro-grade poo poo. The good poo poo they use to make furniture and cabinets and old-money-rich-people-mansion wooden wall paneling and other big fancy poo poo.

Oh, but it’s gotta be 120V.

Ditto for a free stationary planer and a free stationary band saw.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Also I’d prefer them all to be new cuz I don’t really like getting used poo poo. For anything, really, but especially for big rear end sharp tools that can kill you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m glad I saw this post and didn’t scroll right past it.

:razz:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
last week i got a discount scroll saw from amazon. it was a "warehouse deal" someone had dropped the box or something. its pretty cool, a nice addition to my woodshop, only cost me $90. i wish it was free though :(

a youtube video inspired me to get it. making 3d compound cuts just seemed like magic to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgSJJBcggLU

I. M. Gei posted:

I want a free table saw

A big one. The pro-grade poo poo. The good poo poo they use to make furniture and cabinets and old-money-rich-people-mansion wooden wall paneling and other big fancy poo poo.

Oh, but it’s gotta be 120V.

Ditto for a free stationary planer and a free stationary band saw.

sorry i already called dibs on the free table saw

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

I. M. Gei posted:

Also I’d prefer them all to be new cuz I don’t really like getting used poo poo. For anything, really, but especially for big rear end sharp tools that can kill you.

New tools are pretty much trash tier. Early 70's or older for a tool that will last a literal lifetime and then also another lifetime.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

New tools are pretty much trash tier. Early 70's or older for a tool that will last a literal lifetime and then also another lifetime.

unless you want a handplane, then you want 1940's or older

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rutibex posted:

unless you want a handplane, then you want 1940's or older

:smug::respek::smug:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

My father in law has a radial arm saw from the 70s. It's in the back of a garage covered in stuff and he won't let me unearth it to use. Guess I'll have to chop my hand off with my cousin's lovely miter saw instead.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

therobit posted:

My father in law has a radial arm saw from the 70s. It's in the back of a garage covered in stuff and he won't let me unearth it to use. Guess I'll have to chop my hand off with my cousin's lovely miter saw instead.

People are always getting rid of old arm saws for near nothing and I'm always very suspicious.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

People are always getting rid of old arm saws for near nothing and I'm always very suspicious.

I think their real strength is being able to handle much larger pieces of wood and being able to lock down and cut a straight line. I don't think a lot of people really need them if they aren't building cabinets or something and you have to make a lot of space to take advantage of their strengths, so I imagine that's part of it. Plus they are renowned for cutting off limbs if you use them the wrong way and a bunch of millenials and zoomers are terrified of that kind of thing because they never got shop class.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

therobit posted:

I think their real strength is being able to handle much larger pieces of wood and being able to lock down and cut a straight line. I don't think a lot of people really need them if they aren't building cabinets or something and you have to make a lot of space to take advantage of their strengths, so I imagine that's part of it. Plus they are renowned for cutting off limbs if you use them the wrong way and a bunch of millenials and zoomers are terrified of that kind of thing because they never got shop class.

My table saw does all of that and more. Not that it doesn't seem convenient but it just seems like a tool that just wouldn't get used enough.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Are you the goon that made the danger mill with a chainsaw?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

wesleywillis posted:

Are you the goon that made the danger mill with a chainsaw?

Why yes, yes I am. :tipshat:

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Heya, LAP!!! I checked some of your videos and noticed you've only got 2 subscribers. Now you have three!

All joking aside though, I enjoy educational content on youtube like cooking, crafting etc. It makes my blood boil that a hyperactive tellytubby of a grown man who does nothing but play video games has 107m subs while Townsends and Sons only has 1.42m.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Valko posted:

Heya, LAP!!! I checked some of your videos and noticed you've only got 2 subscribers. Now you have three!

Finally, I've hit the BIG TIME!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'll have to unsubscribe to keep the balance

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Colonel Cancer posted:

I'll have to unsubscribe to keep the balance

Welp, back to the depths of obscurity with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

at home snake tongue machine