Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Serephina posted:

Yea, speaking thereof, they really need to overhaul the religion system. I know they've added a tenet or two, but it's really super limited and the only way to get something that feels different is to spend all 3 tenents on some gimmick like "horny/lying&murdering/partying is good". Normally it's just a big long list of how bad the illegal stuff is, and how much everyone hates you for having a different coloured flag.

I think the pilgrimages changes are a strong step in the right direction, but it'd be nice if things where a bit more nuanced like the culture system where your beliefs enabled new small side-stuff rather than being a list of illegal common activities.

Being paradox, I'm very much aware this is a monkey's paw wish.

I feel like religion is a bit boring in general. If you are catholic, nothing ever happens until the pope declare Crusade legal and do one every 15-30 years. If you are pagan (Played a lot of Norse and a bit of Vindilist), nothing ever happens outside of raids and the eventual Jomsvikings. Even if you manage to reform the faith with the three required site (Which are a pain to get btw), your old faith will consider you astray (BRUV, I JUST WANTED TO LOOK AT STAR SO OUR RAIDING SHIP CAN GO FASTER), or outright hate me (Just because I am the Head of Faith and that it is passed down through my bloodline doesn't mean I will stop you from praying the Gods. WE HAVE THE SAME PATRON GODS DAMMIT!).

Pilgrimages are either easy Piety point or a way to farm out the point you get when you visit a special building. You do a big rear end pilgrimage that take 4 years, visit all the site you need and then bam, you have enough point to get everything that is relevent in each tree and 4 years later, you come back home with the pilgrim trait, a lot of piety point and everything you need for the rest of your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i count 27 antipopes in the ck3 dates and yet not one in the game

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
How long has this game been out and there's still no College of Cardinals?

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Fajita Queen posted:

Find Spouse isn't even an option on the right click menu :(

The game seems to be treating my character as though he's already married basically.

Try using the find person tool at the bottom right of your screen, then filtering for unmarried women within diplomatic range, then right clicking them to arrange marriage?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Farecoal posted:

How long has this game been out and there's still no College of Cardinals?

Seriously. I spent countless hours in CK2 scheming, bribing and murdering to get my useless sons and brothers elected pope, and I would do so again. Come on, Paradox!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Freudian slippers posted:

Seriously. I spent countless hours in CK2 scheming, bribing and murdering to get my useless sons and brothers elected pope, and I would do so again. Come on, Paradox!

😠👆 this

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Freudian slippers posted:

On the flip side I spent hundreds of hours in CK2 and never once interacted with that mechanic. It just seemed like a lot of effort for little gain. But it's entirely possible I was underestimating it's usefulness, I hope they do it a lot better than whatever CK2 had though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I get wanting the game to represent the papal elections (among other things, like antipopes and merchant republics) but yeah, can we not forget how CK2 actually did those things? The papal elections were just an opaque money pit to maybe give you a bit of dynasty prestige and a marginally better chance at getting requests from Rome that usually weren't worth what you spent.

It's something that should be in the game but CK2's implementation was deeply unsatisfying and when PDS bring it back they'd better have a fresh take.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 4, 2024

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

There was also the bit where you made your own personal pope your own personal vassal who fed you infinite money.

Sure, it was a side-case mechanic in a game built on those mechanics. That was the charm, and I've more and more come to realise that CK3 doesn't have the CK:ness I want from the game. Just better performance and more transparent information to the player about their choices… but the choices made that much more transparent in CK3 aren't as fun or interesting or varied. 😞

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tippis posted:

There was also the bit where you made your own personal pope your own personal vassal who fed you infinite money.

You could do that without getting them elected, though. In fact, it would be a lot more faff to do that than just vassalize the Pope by force.

There is a way to do that in CK3; by founding your own religion with Communion and yourself as the head of faith (you can still vassalize the Pope, of course, but due to the way taxes work he no longer gives you infinite money).

Edit: On anti-popes, my opinion is that a good deal of the mechanic is now covered by your ability to create your own faith branches, and while there is still some room in there for a proper mechanic I can see why it's not a priority. My own perspective on them is also colored by how poorly they were implemented in CK2; I remember a period where some code fuckery would cause children to pop up as antipopes (my memory is murky, but I recall it was basically coded that anybody who had a claim on the Papacy was an antipope, and if the Pope happened to have children they'd all have claims on the Papacy, which would in turn lead to child antipopes and a severe tanking of Catholicism's moral authority).

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 4, 2024

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

You could do that without getting them elected, though. In fact, it would be a lot more faff to do that than just vassalize the Pope by force.

There is a way to do that in CK3; by founding your own religion with Communion and yourself as the head of faith (you can still vassalize the Pope, of course, but due to the way taxes work he no longer gives you infinite money).

Oh there was no election involved. Just anti-poping and then doomstacking half of Italy. :black101:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I think it would be fun for roleplaying reasons

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Doubly so if you were allowed to play as a merchant republic and/or theocracy.

Everyone wants to be Alexander VI.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

If you could force changes to catholic doctrines through the college that would be fun. Otherwise meh.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Magil Zeal posted:

On the flip side I spent hundreds of hours in CK2 and never once interacted with that mechanic. It just seemed like a lot of effort for little gain. But it's entirely possible I was underestimating it's usefulness, I hope they do it a lot better than whatever CK2 had though.

There honestly wasn't really a lot of benefit to it, but

Farecoal posted:

I think it would be fun for roleplaying reasons

sums it up pretty well. It was just a fun thing to do for its own sake, and it's nice to have objectives to shoot for that aren't just map painting.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

i think papal stuff is coming after the unlanded stuff, since it can tie in nicely with unlanded mechanics

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SlothBear posted:

If you could force changes to catholic doctrines through the college that would be fun. Otherwise meh.

Using targeted assassination to first get your deadbeat disinherited cousin Heinrich on the college and then eventually get him elected Pope purely for prestige is still fun.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It was just a fun thing to do for its own sake, and it's nice to have objectives to shoot for that aren't just map painting.

One of the most fun runs I had in 2 was playing a independent Duke of Brabant and having a 10-year war with the HRE because the Emperor had set up an antipope - it was nice to have a long-running drag-out war which wasn't a crusade or an attempt to put a family member on a foreign throne (and it gave me a functionally useless but rad bloodline for my trouble).

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

Well as others have already pointed out, it really wasn't that useful, but I liked it from roleplaying reasons. I also imagine Paradox could make some cool events from having a relative as the Pope in CK3. Have them officiate your grand wedding, etc. Being related to the Pope could also give you a heap of renown, which wasn't a mechanic in CK2.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
coronations where you gotta have the pope

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Creating an antipope was insanely OP what are you guys talking abt... If you pressed your antipope's claim as an emperor you immediately vassalized the papacy

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

Creating an antipope was insanely OP what are you guys talking abt... If you pressed your antipope's claim as an emperor you immediately vassalized the papacy

I think there was some confusion (certainly was on my part) between people talking about getting your own Pope elected via the college and creating an antipope. The first isn't all that useful, the second was.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
You can vassalize the papacy in ck3 via dejure cb, it's not even OP because they don't pay vassal taxes on their head of faith income. You can also tribalize the pope via the same exploit from CK2, which is kinda funny

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
To be more positive, I do agree that part of the value of representing these things is that they can be fun to do for RP regardless of their game utility (which is part of why CK2's College annoyed me so much, because interacting with it was relatively shallow and uninteresting and made something you should, in character, want to do almost not worth it). There's potential for CK3's improvements on the intrigue/personal relations front to make a really fun take on the College when they get to it, particularly in light of whatever mechanics they're planning for Rise to Power (as much as the focus is apparently on imperial governments, a lot of what you'd have to do to make manuevering for power in that structure engaging will have overlap with what would be needed for the College.)

As for why that and things like antipopes have taken so long, I feel like they're casualties of the broader scope of the base game and the longer DLC cycles - ie, outside specifically targeted flavor packs the game has largely focused on building a framework of more generally adaptable mechanics to colour in over time (as opposed to 2, where only feudal Christians were playable at first and other bespoke experiences were messily bolted on over time), and then when colouring these things in have prioritized Vikings (predictable), Iberia, the Middle East, and Byzantium (also predictable) over the Catholic Church.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 5, 2024

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Ok, I have a weird problem. I'm playing the AGOT mod as the Tyrells of Highgarden. Aegon the unlikely was king and I sided with him when Maelys the Monsterous invaded. However, Maelys won and stripped me of my duchy and all counties but one. After some scheming and murdering, I've regained two counties, including the capital (Highgarden), but I have still not got the duchy of Highgarden. I've made the county of Highgarden my primary title, but my character insists on living in one of the "lesser" counties. I want him to live in Highgarden, why won't he?

E: Nevermind, I hadn't changed my capital to Highgarden...

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 6, 2024

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

never saw the show op, maybe check the season summaries on the wikia

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023
I've used the Imperator to CK3 save converter and have been having a great time making the Lusitanian Empire the biggest, bestest thing. It started in 0 AD, and right now I'm in year 500 with everything pretty much stabilized. As I'm thinking of going all the way up to Stellaris, I've decided to not conquer everything and instead I've been focusing in keeping Iberia and Africa (only the north and center) part of the Empire. I sometimes just go conquer a kingdom and give it to one of my sons or family members and see if they can keep it or not (so far, they established control over Brittania and Normandy).

My current Emperor is pretty sweet, the guy is paranoid so I had to get learning done ASAP so I wouldn't die from stress and the guy just became a god at war and doesn't get stressed anymore. I'll probably conquer Egypt and Nubia with him and just gift those areas to his sons.

I did have one question, though, it's not possible to have several accolades that buff the same type of MAA regiment, right?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Despacho posted:

I did have one question, though, it's not possible to have several accolades that buff the same type of MAA regiment, right?

Archer and Crossbow Captain stack.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ended up picking up CK3 finally after watching a friend play, getting some experience under my belt with the regular game before I go on to After the End (which really caught my eye). 867 start in Ireland as... whoever it is that starts with 2/3 of Connacht, I can't remember the Irish names. So far I've doubled my geographic size, married an Icelandic chieftess, won two tournaments despite being over 60 years old, died in my sleep, moved on to my son, immediately developed gout and lost my leg, repeatedly failed to seduce my own wife, and had my poo poo pushed in by the Scots when they came to rescue Meath from an invasion. I have a feeling I'm moving on to generation 3 soon after ~25 total years.

I will defend my Satan-worshipping albino son with my life.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
doin' it right

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Some updated thinking of Lifestyle trees after playing a bunch of characters who had enough lifestyle xp to do stuff like this (tl;dr: Travel, Grand Weddings, and Court Grandeur Expectations are all very very strong):

My updated thoughts on Lifestyle trees -- would love feedback here:
Diplomacy
* Diplomat -- Thoughtful is nice for making gifts more impactful but invite guest usually won't move much based on it anyway -- Accomplished Forger for artifact acquisition but the UI makes it a pain to do that outside of a few preset artifacts you're aware of
* August -- Seems pretty tribal focused for prestige economies
* Family Hierarch -- I really like befriend, groomed to rule, and confidants (great stress reduction with 5 friends) -- Friendly Counsel and Sound Foundations are free skill points and you'll be swimming in diplo from grand weddings since you get a chance to get a perk, so

Martial
* Gallant (the 25% boost from your spouse -- Loyalty and respect -- is really good and stacks with Martial ceremonies -- and of course Household Guard is amazing -- not sure about Peacemaker or Gallant, but it's two points and you're already there)
* Strategist (strong early game, later not really needed, but hit and run is great)
* Overseer -- Not really worth it, you get ... a little more taxes and 15 Plague Resist? Holy Legends give tons of control so

Stewardship
* Wealth Focus -- Oddly this is an amazing source of Dread -- just spam It's my Domain every 5y and pick the dread option and you'll be at 100 dread all the time pretty much. Fearful Troops is a big cost reduction too and At Any Cost is free money, as is Avaricious
* Architect -- Buildings are very expensive and this makes them cheaper, also Divided Attention = Domain Limit and Centralization = Dev
* Administrator -- Not really worth it

Intrigue
* Schemer -- The most powerful tree in the game
* Seducer -- Not worth it imo
* Torturer -- Maybe if you're doing a stress build or really need 5 points in Intrigue from Dark Insights. Nice to have but not essential. Divine Retribution is good if you're torturting people regularly for some reason.

Scholarship
* Whole of Body -- Lots of health / plague reduction here
* Scholar -- The second most powerful tree in the game .Pedagogy, Scientific, Scholarly Circles, Learn on the Job, Sanctioned Loopholes (!!), Scholar -- so drat good
* Theologian -- Only take when creating a religion (Prophet) for the discount, and later on don't even need that

--

Separately, did you know a Selfless Entrenched Regent gives you a bunch of domain limit with no downside? (A Loyalty Strong Hook -- such as obtained from Recognition of Talent -- guarantees they'll be selfless).

To make sure your regents have good stewardship, go for an Administrative court.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I think those are fair takes. The only thing I think I have a different take on is the August tree for which True Ruler can be very helpful for vassalization expansion if that's your thing so I actually end up getting it pretty much only in late game too lazy to bother conquering stage of expansion.

Recognition of Talent is the default first pick cultural trait for me. It's crazy good.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Peacemaker is worth it if you're still waging war a lot, as it knocks victory down to 90% which might mean a full two months off every war.

Overseer's power is 90% about the first trait pick, which is an odd design choice they made ages ago that needs revision.

I'll also put a little asterisk on some of what you said, as DLC can really mess with the base game's balance of things.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Could someone explain what the Casus Belli and also Chronicle Writing culture innovation do? It says "can use individual de jure county/duchy casus belli."

Does that mean I can start a war against a person instead of a entire kingdom or say empire?

I was trying to take the last little island of the Sicily duchy to secure the Mediterranean with Sardinia and it I couldn't wrestle it away from the Byzantine Empire who's had it since 867.

Its now early 1000s and both our armies are so big that the island of Matla can't fit 20k troops to fight for the fort that's on it. it's a back and forth. They won't fight me on the main strip of land so I end up going into debt from all the sea crossing and I either pull out or reload a save to try again.

I've been rushing Plenary Assemblies to change my crown authority and then Hereditary Rule to change to Partition. Is this the right play or should I go for casus belli and chronicle writing to knock off the empire real quick?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The De Jure CBs mean that you can take a title without a direct claim, so long as you own the higher tier title it "should" belong to. e.g. if you have the duchy of Latium, you can declare war against Rome any time you want (unless they are already your vassal; de jure CBs don't give you revocation rights like a claim does). With Chronicle Writing, this is upgraded to allow you to take an entire duchy at once, so if you had the kingdom of Italy you could take the duchy of Latium directly rather than having to fight wars for each individual county. You still have to declare war against whoever the top level realm is if the owner of the target title is a vassal of someone else - the entire point of becoming a vassal is that you gain the protection of a stronger realm in exchange for losing some of your autonomy.

Basically the main advantage of de jure CBs is that they allow you to quickly "finish" a duchy/kingdom/empire after you gain the title, because you get automatic, irrevocable war goals against everyone who owns a piece of territory that "should" be yours, without having to go through the slow process of individually claiming each one.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 19, 2024

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Very specifically lets you wardec for a county that's de jure yours.

From the wiki: Where a title belongs to another title de jure (a county to a duchy, duchy to a Kingdom etc.), the holder of the higher title has a de jure CB towards the character who holds the lower title if they're not already a vassal. All de jure CBs cost 100 prestige per county in the war target title and have a war contribution share of 300 prestige.

It's basically a budget warmongering-religion-CB for gobbling up small fries after a kingdom shatters. If the victim is vassal elsewhere you'll have to fight their liege, of course.

For that specific war you have, take the war target and start the ticking warscore clock. If they won't fight you for the objective, they might try to fight you when you raze their other territories out of boredom. If you're savescumming maybe just send 500 guys to siege the target while your main bulk heads to constantnople to pick a fight asap before he mobilizes? Once you've won big a few times you won't have to worry about playing hotseat on the tiny island.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
How could you mention the Scholar tree without mentioning the best perk in it, Apostate? It ( with one other faith conversion discount) allows you to be any faith on the map, any time. You can opportunistically convert for decisions, useful tenets, divorces, or even just to change your realm priest. It's better than true ruler since faith tends to be a hard vassalization blocker, too. Open-minded is also rather strong since most people will be a different culture, it's like +15 general opinion.
The Scholar tree on a whole might be the best tree, Schemer gets carried hard by abduction and +1 hostile scheme.

There is a niche strat with using the Defender of Faith to stack -100% tyranny gain. Befriend is mandatory for passive dev strats since befriending your steward triples their effectiveness at max dev penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023
Hey, I have a question.

I changed my religion to one where there is an analogue for the Pope, so I no longer am a Head of Faith but one of my vassals is. Because I like to see the same color, I decided to just give him independence and then I thought, "Hey, no biggie, I'll just invade him later and end the religion", because I'd never be able to convert him or his lands otherwise.

The guy somehow has 30 000 men as mercenaries and I just can't figure how. I have, like, 8000 as mercenaries if I hire all available companies. How does he have so many? Oh, and they refresh almost instantly too, because I killed several of those mercenary armies and he just keeps on trucking.

The year is 767.