Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
galaxy quest
Galaxy Quest
galaxy quest
spaceballs
View Results

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

amigolupus posted:

It's hilarious how Galaxy Quest's climax sends this positive message of the day being saved by super-obsessive fans, especially when you consider how Star Wars' ST got hosed over by super-obsessive fans on Reddit.

It was a film made specifically for Star Trek fans, you don't make a movie and expect it to do well by literally insulting your target audience through active malice (as opposed to accidentally doing so through incompetence). The darker nature of Trek fandom has kind of been there for a long while--people hated TNG when it first showed up and would send hate mail to Wil Wheaton about him personally, not the character he portrayed on TV, to the point where it made him quit acting for a long while--but it's always been brushed under the rug in favor of the good parts of it that are in fact wholesome and worth celebrating.

It's just become a lot harder to hide/ignore with the advent of the internet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Which one was star trek beyond was it the one with the doomsday device and bad guy who wanted revenge?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

bitterandtwisted posted:

Which one was star trek beyond was it the one with the doomsday device and bad guy who wanted revenge?

It was the good one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Polaron posted:

It was the good one.

Wrath of Khan?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

nine-gear crow posted:

Wrath of Khan?

Did I say Into Darkness?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Polaron posted:

Did I say Into Darkness?

Nemesis is far more of a remake of Wrath of Khan than Into Darkness was.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

I assume :thejoke: here is that this also describes 2009 and Into Darkness?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Silver2195 posted:

I assume :thejoke: here is that this also describes 2009 and Into Darkness?

Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country, Generations, Nemesis...Probably one or two that's slipping my mind.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I guess Final Frontier could go in the "Bad guy is super weapon" circle, but gently caress it, it's Final Frontier, it can stay outside.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

In GQ, the good guys have the superweapon and are the ones that want revenge. I guess it isn't a trek movie at all

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Nobody wants revenge in Undiscovered Country; they just want to keep the cold war going.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

V’ger wasn’t a bad guy.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Neither was space whale probe.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

And if the prototype bird of prey is a "super weapon", surely the Enterprise is as well, which moves Final Frontier into that side of the diagram.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I am not altering the chart :mad:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

nine-gear crow posted:

I am not altering the chart :mad:

you didn't put galaxy quest in it, in the galaxy quest thread

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
thats a bad chart

feller
Jul 5, 2006

by grabthar's hammer!

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

mind the walrus posted:

Then JJ and Disney somehow managed to fail at fanservice,

This is the only phrase you said that actually talks about the production of the sequel trilogy and you've kept all the important bits covered with a 'somehow'

Thinking the fans are to blame for the studio's complete lack of ambition is such a brainkilled move

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

kurtzman is the brainkiller

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do love that while the aliens are basicaly LARPing a TV show as the only means of fighting the bad guys they can come up with (seems to imply a dangerous lack of imagination, though by the end they seem to have started figuring it out- and maybe put two and two together, realised if they could make an actual super spaceship by imitating fiction they could do all kinds of cool poo poo if they really tried) but there's also a completely unironic galactic conqueror out there who figures out exactly what's going on and thinks it's loving hilarious.

...also, might just be because I've mostly only watched DS9, but was wondering if Star Trek actually has a big villain figure to compare him to, and the main one coming to mind is Gul Dukat.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do love that while the aliens are basicaly LARPing a TV show as the only means of fighting the bad guys they can come up with (seems to imply a dangerous lack of imagination, though by the end they seem to have started figuring it out- and maybe put two and two together, realised if they could make an actual super spaceship by imitating fiction they could do all kinds of cool poo poo if they really tried) but there's also a completely unironic galactic conqueror out there who figures out exactly what's going on and thinks it's loving hilarious.

...also, might just be because I've mostly only watched DS9, but was wondering if Star Trek actually has a big villain figure to compare him to, and the main one coming to mind is Gul Dukat.

I assumed he was based on the various scenery-chewing villains from the Star Trek movies, not a recurring character from any of the TV shows.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Ghost Leviathan posted:

tfw you have to steal the concept of a monomyth from another civilization

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do like how they commit to the Thermians just being really weird. They've all got identical hairstyles and weird smiles in their human disguises, being a little Uncanny Valley at best.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

"Die Hard is my favorite Christmas movie."

Die hard is my favorite christmas movie. I watch it every christmas.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do like how they commit to the Thermians just being really weird. They've all got identical hairstyles and weird smiles in their human disguises, being a little Uncanny Valley at best.

I love that all the Thermians speak English pretty well, and the captain uses this bizarre monotone. I assume he was so pressed for time that he had to skip inflection practice while he supervised getting the ship built.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dr. Memory posted:

I love that all the Thermians speak English pretty well, and the captain uses this bizarre monotone. I assume he was so pressed for time that he had to skip inflection practice while he supervised getting the ship built.

Or he could just be the biggest weirdo nerd of what amounts to a group of LARPers who happened to be the only ones to survive conquest.

Maybe something to how being Galaxy Quest nerds is the only thing that gives them the context they need to survive fascist violence.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The thing that makes the space conqueror really effective for me was the scene where he forced the human captain to admit to the Thermian leader that Galaxy Quest was just a show. He's already captured everyone and had them at gunpoint, but he did it anyway because he's a cruel bastard who wanted to destroy their last shred of hope.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

amigolupus posted:

The thing that makes the space conqueror really effective for me was the scene where he forced the human captain to admit to the Thermian leader that Galaxy Quest was just a show. He's already captured everyone and had them at gunpoint, but he did it anyway because he's a cruel bastard who wanted to destroy their last shred of hope.

It's a really great scene in a movie full of great scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VGajDTNKFU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, that Sarris' makeup really was something else!

Mordja fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl