Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Empty Sandwich posted:

Wegmans is like Whole Foods and Publix had a baby and that baby was handsome and could do skateboard tricks but was really personable and humble and also the baby would sell you pastries and fresh produce and dry-aged beef.

While I normally dislike Kroger (which I'm also not near, and that's fine), they do have insane cheese selections and also a cheese sommelier employee. And then on top of that, cheeses are constantly on half-price sale bc they have to break them down into manageable sizes and those apparently go bad (or as I like to call it, better) really quickly.

Unless your Kroger is in a poor neighborhood. Then gently caress you, I guess. :smithcloud:

rural Kroger sucks balls too but they've clearly a monopoly. also rural people are uncultured pigs so they probably are catering to the market. there are 4 freezer isles and one dedicated entirely to ice cream. gently caress

edit: before covid I would stop in Columbus and buy whiskey and coffee from Wegmans. their liquor guy recommended early times bottled and bond whiskey which was great but I can't find it anywhere

Wegmans good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Wegmans has two different generic store brand manchego levels: "medium" and "intense". I went with intense. Got some gouda also.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Wegmans has two different generic store brand manchego levels: "medium" and "intense". I went with intense. Got some gouda also.

this was a good decision. i had some of wegman's medium manchego a couple of weeks ago and it was extremely medium. just enough flavor to leave an aftertaste.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Imagine looking at 2 cheese options and having to admit to yourself "welp I'm a sissy, so shouldn't go beyond medium."

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I know I posted this in another thread recently, but I'm doing it again.

I don't get down with 'pollen' as a food-stuff as even I, king of GBS' food snobberie think that while it's neat, it's bullshit. Mostly. It's neat and has it's place and does stuff and it's fun but, realistically...it's pollen.
That said.

Lavender.

IN cheese.
It's like rolling a flower petal IN goat cheese as you eat it.

OH my GOD is this stuff SO good. Please go get this. This is a college freshman staring at a joint saying "have you guys seen this yet?" next level poo poo, right here in terms of cheeses. Impresario level.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My Wegmans gouda has the "medium" label on it and I bet it's going to be delicious.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

kazr posted:

Ate limburger for the first time a few days ago and loved it. Now I'm on a mission to find the grossest, funkiest cheese coagulated mammal secretions can make
Grab some Munster next time you are in, uh, France

Not Muenster.

Munster is described, by someone who likes it, as "barnyardy." If you really want to regret it though, have some that is a little too old like I did, and feel kind of like you are eating slightly solidified donkey urine.

"It really brings out the donkey urine notes!"

Also my favorite cheese ever is Le Pie D'Angloys, which I would describe as HyperCamembert, but I have only seen it in stores twice ever since discovering it right before leaving England.

Though I am intrigued by Purple Haze, it brings to mind the time a woman convinced me to try a lavender hot chocolate and later we hooked up. Will this be your experience with lavender cheese? Yes, yes it will.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The kroger affiliate here has a Murray's cheese section from when they bought Murray's cheese company, lots of good stuff avail. between that and whole foods.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Big Beef City posted:

For example, this is one PART of just the "cheese SPREAD" aisle in a local grocer, here.
This isn't even the 'bagged' or 'national' cheeses, or 'the good stuff'. This is the 'cheese SPREAD' section, in Wisconsin.

We don't gently caress around.

Not saying you are wrong or anything, but making your point by showing that you have the longest aisles of processed cheese is hilariously American.
Just letting you know.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

I think there are two things to say about American food.

First, there's classics and local stuff that's good, also cheese and beer in some places. Personally, my experience comes from living in the South (some years ago) and they had some kick rear end local butchery and sausage products going on. They were also pretty good at putting meat on fire in different ways. And compared to what the local schlock in Europe would do, a Southern American would probably snob about that in the same way we snob about cheese.

Second, however, is that the overall median quality of many other foodstuffs is improving rapidly and, most importantly, recently.
When I lived in small-town Southern state, some time ago, I guarantee you there was neither good cheese nor good bread nor a lot of good beer anywhere to be found. I actively looked.
Yes, there were rows and rows of aisles in the supermarket, but it was ALL garbage products. It was just bad.

Next, the quality of things improved, but it is often a very "American" curve. First, the thing is just maxed out, balance be damned. It's like a counter-movement to overly bland food. I remember getting American wine and it was totally on the nose with fruit and oak and basically undrinkable (to me). Totally over the top. Same with beer which was basically a liquor, often with unnecessary poo poo added to it. There was artisan bread which tasted like a loving cake.

Finally, however, most recently, balance seems to be coming back and the product really grows into its quality. There's now bread, wine, beer, cheese etc. that's good by anyone's standard.

Compare this with Europe, where each French village has cheese/wine that has been "perfected" since generations and you can get a good selection at every local Aldi or Lidl or what have you. Or every German village bakery would basically be on the level of your most hip artisan bakery in the Valley just by tradition. If anything, Europe is moving in the opposite direction with big brands and system gastronomy taking over.
So American products that get imported to Europe were first the bland brand poo poo, then the over the top stuff and finally, now and in the future, the good things. Delayed snobbery is to be expected.

One thing I will say is that the franchise / chain restaurants in American cities are too prevalent, probably thanks to hypercapitalism. Just going into a random restaurant for a bite to eat can be really frustrating in the US to this day.

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 25, 2020

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts

Big Beef City posted:

I would like some kind of extra strong Swiss cheese.

Not the more acrid taste that can come with older cheeses, just a double down on the funk of swiss-ness

Jarlsberg?

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
I make my own mozzarella and ricotta cheese. I want to get a small wine fridge and start making other aged cheeses and maybe some salami.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

You know I was actually a bit let down by this, if anything.

Like given the reputation I thought "wow this is gonna be something", right? Pfft. It's not.
I mean, don't get me wrong. If you like soft (think brie) cheeses with a good funk to them? You'll really dig it. But it's played up as "the ultimate stinky food" in our culture, and pretty vile? The scent is definitely stronger than the flavor, I'll tell you that. The flavor itself is just fine, but actually more mild than anything. The smell isn't even THAT bad. I've smelled some pretty decent parm/asiago and I'd put that up there with those + a decent twinge of, I guess a funky, almost ammonia smell? Something along those lines?
While strong and obviously really noticeable, not once when opening, cutting, or eating it did I ever jerk my head away or wince at the smell or something cartoonish. It just smelled like really strong old cheese.

It's a very good cheese and I liked it with braunschweiger and a little creamy horseradish.

I bought it the first time almost a decade ago and it was so rank I couldn't muster up the courage to take a bite. It smelled like a used gym sock that had been stuffed into an unwashed armpit all day. The stank was on a different level than the block I got the other day.

It had haunted me since then that I chickened out.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I almost bought this at Costco tonight but that ball is ~5400 calories and I do not trust myself enough.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Ah yes, the top of my mouth, essential to the swallowing process.
It stuck to my mouth while chewing, I barfed it out.

did you fry it first? haloumi is garbo unless you fry it imo.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Haramstufe Rot posted:

First, there's classics and local stuff that's good, also cheese and beer in some places. Personally, my experience comes from living in the South (some years ago) and they had some kick rear end local butchery and sausage products going on. They were also pretty good at putting meat on fire in different ways. And compared to what the local schlock in Europe would do, a Southern American would probably snob about that in the same way we snob about cheese.

Second, however, is that the overall median quality of many other foodstuffs is improving rapidly and, most importantly, recently.
When I lived in small-town Southern state, some time ago, I guarantee you there was neither good cheese nor good bread nor a lot of good beer anywhere to be found. I actively looked.
Yes, there were rows and rows of aisles in the supermarket, but it was ALL garbage products. It was just bad.

Next, the quality of things improved, but it is often a very "American" curve. First, the thing is just maxed out, balance be damned. It's like a counter-movement to overly bland food. I remember getting American wine and it was totally on the nose with fruit and oak and basically undrinkable (to me). Totally over the top. Same with beer which was basically a liquor, often with unnecessary poo poo added to it. There was artisan bread which tasted like a loving cake.

Finally, however, most recently, balance seems to be coming back and the product really grows into its quality. There's now bread, wine, beer, cheese etc. that's good by anyone's standard.

Compare this with Europe, where each French village has cheese/wine that has been "perfected" since generations and you can get a good selection at every local Aldi or Lidl or what have you. Or every German village bakery would basically be on the level of your most hip artisan bakery in the Valley just by tradition. If anything, Europe is moving in the opposite direction with big brands and system gastronomy taking over.
So American products that get imported to Europe were first the bland brand poo poo, then the over the top stuff and finally, now and in the future, the good things. Delayed snobbery is to be expected.

One thing I will say is that the franchise / chain restaurants in American cities are too prevalent, probably thanks to hypercapitalism. Just going into a random restaurant for a bite to eat can be really frustrating in the US to this day.

Jesus.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Look at that loving poo poo pile right there.

Just loving LOOK at it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's perfect.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Haramstufe Rot posted:

As an American I agree with this, though with the caveat that big cities have had interesting selections of food as long as I have been paying attention.

BUT my community of ~100,000 in the early 2000s absolutely had nothing but Cheddar, Colby, American, Swiss, Colby Jack, Pepper Jack, COTTAGE, the occasional single hunk of Limburger hiding next to the pickled/cream herrings, and Feta, all in about six total feet of refrigerator shelf space, with the occasional special display of Brie wheels(!) or something.

I largely stopped shopping for a year and then went to England for a year, and when I got back in late 2005 the selection was already expanding to include superior regionally-produced versions alongside the store brand and Kraft (though I suppose Kraft is virtually local), and by 2007-2008 nearly every standalone non-discount supermarket in the region suddenly had a dedicated cheese counter with an assortment of nationwide and imported artisanal cheeses and sampling and expensive accoutrement and I still have no idea what happened there, but I am not complaining.

That I can get, like, Gjetost at literally every store I have shopped at for the past decade makes no sense to me, because nobody needs to eat Gjetost, but I am still thankful for it.

Haramstufe Rot posted:

No worries, all businesses will be closed forever soon.

Chinatown posted:

I almost bought this at Costco tonight but that ball is ~5400 calories and I do not trust myself enough.
Pretty sure I ate my entire day's calories in five minutes the first and only time I bought Burrata

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Shopping for cheeses is a complete headache for me. How does one even know what to buy? Like what the hell is the difference between the 100 variations of soft cheeses that look the same?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Haramstufe Rot posted:

i must swirlie you

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Muscle Wizard posted:

did you fry it first? haloumi is garbo unless you fry it imo.

No, it was sold to me on a massive burger, grilled.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I worked with a very particular, very intelligent french sommelier. She was incredibly passionate about french cheese. We would take big slabs of Brillat-Savarin and melt it on burgers and send her photos for fun.

It usually set her off on some crazy french rant.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Shopping for cheeses is a complete headache for me. How does one even know what to buy? Like what the hell is the difference between the 100 variations of soft cheeses that look the same?

Just go out and taste some. When you find the right one, you'll know...

Let me tell you about the time I found the right one, almost 10 years ago now. I was working in a kitchen, and the chef hands me a chunk of blue that would be on the cheeseboards that night. What could it be? Roquefort? Valdeon? Bleu d'Auvergne?

One taste, one tiny nibble... I was in heaven. So savory, so rich. Its bold flavor hit you over the head like a primitive club, it demanded your attention. Hailing from an Oregon cheese maker called Rogue Creamery...

Behold, the King of All Cheeses, Caveman Blue.

Well, I guess it's not the king anymore since their Rogue River Blue was named World Cheese Champion or something for 2019-2020. But it will always be a king in my heart.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wow it's like IPAs but for cheese! Absolutely tasteless.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Big Beef City posted:

It's perfect.

When it comes to shitposting, I do not compromise on quality.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syc78JzHGTs

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

wife and I did a food tour of Modena and we came back as parm snobs. Once you've bathed in those milky copper kettles it changes you

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I've only ever had manchego as slices or cubes, alone or on different breads or crackers, cold or room temperature. What's hot manchego like? What do you melt it over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Melt manchego on some roasted cauliflower or grate it on broccoli and other greens like asparagus.