Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Not to brag but I actually held the WR for speedwatching the Lord of the Rings trilogy movies (extended version, any %). By utilizing a rare glitch in the DVD menu I managed to skip almost directly to the credits on each movie, for a total time of 0:31:22.16

I was beaten by a few seconds soon after by LordAnthrax73 but heh at least I found the glitch :thumbsup:

Here are some of my personal records:

Star Wars (original): 0:25:21.10

Alien: 0:15:54.25 (don't know why people think it's so scary, watched it on quadruple speed and no sound and it wasn't scary at all)

Titanic: 1:10:12.74

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Goddamn I thought you could only do that poo poo on betamax. :chanpop:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Is that kinda like speed reading

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Not the exact thing, and not my record, but there is a really cool Stephen King short story, Mrs Todd's Shortcut.

Dude lives in the countryside, his neighbor is Mrs. Todd. They build a friendship over chit-chatting about shortcuts they use to get to town. "Take the country road across the back of Perkin's farm" and stuff like that, comparing their run times, shaving off 20 seconds here and there. She drives a decked out Mercedes and can make quick time. Over the course of the story they keep one-upping each other with faster and faster times. At a point he starts to wonder if she is bluffing him, cause he's looking at maps, and thinking, drat she had to be going 100 mph the whole time... at a minimum."

Then he starts to notice weird poo poo on her car when he stops by to visit, like splattered bugs he's pretty sure he's never seen. Then one day there is some roadkill animal stuck in her front grill that simply does not exist on this planet. Mrs. Todd is also looking younger and younger each week.

It was excellent for a short story.

Oh, the story was about 100 pages, I read it in 10 seconds.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 24, 2020

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Internetjack posted:

Oh, the story was about 100 pages, I read it in 10 seconds.
I'm unimpressed. New Yorkers can go through 100 stories in 10 seconds.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'd like to submit a new "Voting this thread a 1" speed-run category

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
That Jamaican bobsled team was pretty quick.
So fast, I'm not even sure I saw movie.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Ultra Carp
I used an SA thread conversion technique to watch Conebros (Kubrick, 1993) in under 5 seconds

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I watch movies at 1/4 speed, OP. Exact opposite of you, and I hope it makes you quiver in your boots to know of this. "Nyeeeeehh if you slow it down that much it'll just be a low frame rate slideshow" bitch I programmed my own VLC plugin to tween the frames together, it uses Amazon web services to tap into google deepmind (and yes I pay for this monthly, it's worth it, the amazon part not the google part) and let me tell you I have seen, and am still seeing, things you cannot comprehend

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i put twin peaks season 3 on a playlist and watched without pause or skip, and once threnody for the victims of hiroshima came on my eyeballs fell out... time has been irrelevant ever since

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
So I really didn't want to do this but the speedwatching community is something really important to me and I hold our sport in very high regard. When stuff like this happens I think it's important for it to be exposed.

*posts 2 hour long video expose of the OP. It's literally just closeup shots of the OP holding a remote and fast forwarding through movies*

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I watched the expose in 23:51

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've don a TAS of Apocalypse Now Redux in 27:13:208. Whether any human player can get close to this is another matter of course.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

My Lovely Horse posted:

I watched the expose in 23:51

Nice! That's a pretty competitive time.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Who is your favorite speedwatcher?

I think CitizenPain has the best speedwatching streams for classic movies.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Who is your favorite speedwatcher?

I think CitizenPain has the best speedwatching streams for classic movies.

He's okay I guess, not as good as HammerAndSiskel though.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

jazzyhattrick posted:

He's okay I guess, not as good as HammerAndSiskel though.

Those two just each watch half of the film, not really in the spirit of it.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xaintrailles posted:

Those two just each watch half of the film, not really in the spirit of it.

HammerAndSiskel is one guy, you're thinking of his Co-Op runs with RogerE-1337-Bert. Co-Op is a legit category btw, the mid film transition requires real skill.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You really got to watch out for the cue mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I like when you're watching a 'runner attempt the Original Retail Release category and they fumble the hell out of the LaserDisc flip!

(Obviously using a dual-sided player is NOT in the Spirit of the category!!!)