Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a bit recent for this thread, but FX's American Crime Story was my favorite thing on television back when it premiered in 2016. The first season, The People v. O.J. Simpson, managed to be relevant and timely without being cloying, and was buoyed by some incredible performances and John Travolta. I myself was too young during the O.J. Simpson trial to have much in the way of context for the events of the show, and jesus loving christ, what a shitshow! This show is maybe the ultimate proof that Ryan Murphy is actually capable of producing unambiguously good material, which... wow. Also, it gave us Sterling K. Brown! It's worth it for that alone!

The first season is only 10 episodes, which is a little light, so we'll also be watching the second season, The Assassination of Gianni Versace. This season was a little more polarizing due to a gimmick in the episode structure and choices in framing, but at the same time I think it's still something special that's worth your time. It's not for everyone, but you should still give it a shot, it's only 9 episodes.

We're starting on September 1st.

Past Shows:

Hannibal Season 1
Community
Person of Interest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh I thought this was American Crime, but it's American Crime Story. A completely different anthology crime show.

The second season was watchably dumb, but I can't remember the first season very well, except for the ludicrous dolly zoom that introduces Bruce Stern's police captain in the first episode. That was loving nuts.

But I remember the entire thing being vaguely seedy, tbh. The only reason we're following the story of the Kardashians, or even that interested in the whole deal with Judith Light's character, is because they're gossip.

The only reason we're not seeing a Princess Diana season is because she wasn't an American Princess.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I never watched the first season and just recently was thinking about adding it to my list of shows to get around to. I'll have to move that up now!

I did watch the second season and I believe I enjoyed it at the time but I don't remember much from it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Just rewatched the first season a few months ago and it totally holds up, and its attention to detail is insane. The biggest flaw IMO is who they cast to play OJ himself -- Cuba's a fine actor, but the real OJ is a huge dude with deep, booming voice that just dominates every room he's in. Cuba came across as more whiny than anything, whereas the real OJ was somebody who you could imagine as being absolutely terrifying when he's angry. If I were casting the show I would have gotten the dude who played AC to be OJ instead.

The Versace season was .... fine? Darren Criss was great but I honestly don't think the reverse chronological gimmick really added anything but making me confused as to how his motivation evolved episode to episode. Would be interested in watching a chronological cut though, if one exists.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, Cuba was amazing in the show, some of his best work imho, but he felt off as OJ. It's not enough to drag the show down, but it's just a weird outlier when the rest of the casting is so spot on.

Season two owned and I honestly might like it more than the first one, but not by a lot. They're both excellent seasons of television.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I forgot to post about this when it started yesterday, so I'll just say, the part in the second episode where the pizza place runs out of cheese never fails to crack me up.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just finished the first episode and it hasn't sucked me that into it yet.

Did not know Courtney B. Vance was in this and I'm excited to see more of his Cochran (I'm a massive Law and Order fan).

esperterra posted:

Yeah, Cuba was amazing in the show, some of his best work imho, but he felt off as OJ. It's not enough to drag the show down, but it's just a weird outlier when the rest of the casting is so spot on.

Season two owned and I honestly might like it more than the first one, but not by a lot. They're both excellent seasons of television.

Going to echo your Cuba comments. He is doing an incredible acting job but I just don't see him as OJ. Aside from him not looking that much like him (I think) he doesn't have that presence that people talked about OJ always had.

Episode 2: Nothing stands out

Episode 3: I like the meeting of the whole team for the first time. I'm much more interested in the trial at the moment than the outside stuff. Of course The Dersh was on his team. Completely forgot he was.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 4, 2020

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Arist posted:

This show is maybe the ultimate proof that Ryan Murphy is actually capable of producing unambiguously good material

probably the most shocking aspect of ACS S1

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Murphy is a great director-- especially directing actors-- and producer. He's even a great idea man. The issue is when he does too much of his own writing and people don't tell him 'lol maybe don't?' imo. His best work usually happens when he's stretched between like four shows and doesn't have enough time to focus too hard on any one of them, or like in the case of ACS 1 he p much wrote none of it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I can't stop thinking about how Jeffrey Toobin wrote the book this was based on and it's honestly really upsetting now, lmao

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Look it's fine he probably wasn't jerking off the entire time he was writing it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I started watching season 1 and I'm really impressed by how phenomenal the acting is, this has been a really fun watch so far thanks for bringing it to my attention

Tiaer
Oct 6, 2020
What a great season of TV. It should be watched in conjunction with the O.J.: Made In America documentary series that won the Oscar. Probably this first to familiarize yourself with everyone and then the documentary to see a more big-picture, accurate version of the events.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

How much of the oj stuff was heavily embellished or made up for the show?

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

Not that much surprisingly.
Outside of Travolta being miscast as Robert Shapiro & Ron Goldman barely being mentioned.
The only thing they really got wrong was Mark Fuhrman, sure he was a racist rear end in a top hat but hardly the reincarnation of Hitler the show made him out to be.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

ninjewtsu posted:

I saw the show about three years ago, then researched a bit about it. The answer is... that so much of the stuff you think it's made-up actually is not, not even the most ridiculous, strange or just bonkers. From the top of my head: one of the lady jurors did ended up doing a pictorial for Playboy or that there really was a TV bit about the Dancing Itos

Best part for me was watching David Schwimmer as Robert Kardashian slowly realizing that his best friend O.J. is a cold blooded murderer that got away with it.

Cuba Gooding as O.J. didn't bother me as much, since I saw it as him being the affable, charismatic O.J. that everyone knew from his football career and film appearances. I mean, he was Nordberg in The Naked Gun, so I believe he does a good job of showing why so many people found it hard to believe he commited the murders. That would've been lost had they cast a bigger, more menacing guy for the role.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This site is pretty useful for comparisons between TV/movie adaptations and reality - https://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/people-v-oj-simpson/

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Edit: Wrong thread.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Best show I've watched in a long rear end time.

stan gyuri thx

e: damnit i'm leaving this anyway lmfao

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kal-L posted:

I saw the show about three years ago, then researched a bit about it. The answer is... that so much of the stuff you think it's made-up actually is not, not even the most ridiculous, strange or just bonkers. From the top of my head: one of the lady jurors did ended up doing a pictorial for Playboy or that there really was a TV bit about the Dancing Itos

Best part for me was watching David Schwimmer as Robert Kardashian slowly realizing that his best friend O.J. is a cold blooded murderer that got away with it.

Cuba Gooding as O.J. didn't bother me as much, since I saw it as him being the affable, charismatic O.J. that everyone knew from his football career and film appearances. I mean, he was Nordberg in The Naked Gun, so I believe he does a good job of showing why so many people found it hard to believe he commited the murders. That would've been lost had they cast a bigger, more menacing guy for the role.

Did Johnny Cochran actually get stopped by a traffic cop and nearly arrested until they saw who he was

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14554-2005Mar30.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That's loving incredible. Looks like they did embellish the story a bit - that stop did actually happen, but it was while he was working as a prosecutor instead of during the oj trial