Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Shinmera posted:

Well, game's out now and I've been so busy taking care of everything I forgot to post here. My bad!

Another goon success story for the books.

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Shinmera posted:

Well, game's out now and I've been so busy taking care of everything I forgot to post here. My bad!

Another goon success story for the books.

Congrats on the release! I grabbed it after checking out some footage, looks extremely cool!

Completely missed seeing the launch until seeing the thread pop up, really sucks how bad Steam is at promoting things like this that I'm actually interested in.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Thanks y'all, hope you enjoy playing it!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i'll be picking it up soon, i followed development. cool!

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
A suicide/reset to entrance of room option is needed. There have been two instances of the character warping erroneously when interacting with things near moving blocks:

1. Opened a blue chest while crawling under a moving block -> character warped to a hallway above but in the same room.
2. Tried to grab a wall at the end of a moving block ride -> character warped up out of bounds. Can't get back into bounds, return to main menu delightfully informs me that I will be losing 28 minutes of progress since last save. Sad android face.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

you can type noclip at any time to toggle collisions and get out of that.

Sorry about the clips in any case though. I'll try to repro and see if I can do anything about it.

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 12, 2023

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Has anyone tried this on a steam deck?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Tagichatn posted:

Has anyone tried this on a steam deck?

I have and Valve won't give me the god darn rating :argh:

It runs flawlessly as far as I can tell!

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Shinmera posted:

I have and Valve won't give me the god darn rating :argh:

It runs flawlessly as far as I can tell!

Cool, thanks. I'll try it out then cause I do 90% of my gaming on the deck nowadays.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Congrats on the release. Gonna start playing this weekend 😁

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Thanks, I hope you have a good time with it.

Oh, and for anyone here that got it, I'd appreciate it if you could leave a review on Steam!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Okay, I just bought the game. The first three times I started playing it my AMD driver broke down before I even saw a window of the game.
I think it's because the default setting was no V-Synch and no frame limit. With that, I have other 1900 FPS in the menu which my (otherwise fine) pc couldn't handle. I managed to start the game by explicitly changing my AMD-Settings for it. You might want to look into that.

Looking forward to play it and I guess I will make a trip report.

EDIT: The game allows me to immediately ignore the npc, and use my abilities to explore to the left to find a mountain Outfit. I really like that.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 15, 2023

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Bought it, and switched the game language to german.
After some bad typos ("meißten", "Weitzen", "Do (instead of Du)") i switched back to english.

However, in-game-dialogue is still partially german and the quests aren't renamed.
Doesn't feel high-priority, since switching languages back and forth isn't really a common thing.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 15, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
So far I reached the headquarters of the Bats. The controls of this game feel nice and the jumping puzzles remind me of Celeste, while the music evokes a feeling of Nier, which are both really good things. I haven't really been a fan of the combat yet. I like the spritework of all the various attacks, but they feel so slow and undynamic. There is a really significant delay between starting an attack and damaging an opponent, while you are locked in an animation. So far, combat hasn't been relevant enough, to be a huge hustle, but I hope there's some upgrade or something, which makes swording a bit faster.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Okay, I just bought the game. The first three times I started playing it my AMD driver broke down before I even saw a window of the game.
I think it's because the default setting was no V-Synch and no frame limit. With that, I have other 1900 FPS in the menu which my (otherwise fine) pc couldn't handle. I managed to start the game by explicitly changing my AMD-Settings for it. You might want to look into that.

Looking forward to play it and I guess I will make a trip report.

EDIT: The game allows me to immediately ignore the npc, and use my abilities to explore to the left to find a mountain Outfit. I really like that.

The default setting should be vsync on. Odd.

Wipfmetz posted:

Bought it, and switched the game language to german.
After some bad typos ("meißten", "Weitzen", "Do (instead of Du)") i switched back to english.

However, in-game-dialogue is still partially german and the quests aren't renamed.
Doesn't feel high-priority, since switching languages back and forth isn't really a common thing.

Yeah I'm aware of the bug and typos. Haven't had time to go back over all of that yet.

So far I reached the headquarters of the Bats. The controls of this game feel nice and the jumping puzzles remind me of Celeste, while the music evokes a feeling of Nier, which are both really good things. I haven't really been a fan of the combat yet. I like the spritework of all the various attacks, but they feel so slow and undynamic. There is a really significant delay between starting an attack and damaging an opponent, while you are locked in an animation. So far, combat hasn't been relevant enough, to be a huge hustle, but I hope there's some upgrade or something, which makes swording a bit faster.

Celeste and Nier were the two big inspirations, so I'm glad those are shining through.

There's no upgrades to increase the animation speed, just the damage output of your sword. You can also tweak that in the settings if you like.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
The exploration works quite nicely. Digging the vertical world layout.
I guess the camp will get some form of fast travel, based on the train station at it's eastern end?

Seconding that soundtrack having a touch of Nier.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The soundtrack also reminds me of Horizon sometimes.
The exploration feels a bit weird sometimes. I had occasions where I was exploring a long set of rooms only to find out that they are supposed to lead me back to a room I came from, but there's a one way door there, so I could only treck all those rooms back to where I started. Honestly, beside some cool costumes, there's not a lot of incentive to go exploring anyway.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

The soundtrack also reminds me of Horizon sometimes.
The exploration feels a bit weird sometimes. I had occasions where I was exploring a long set of rooms only to find out that they are supposed to lead me back to a room I came from, but there's a one way door there, so I could only treck all those rooms back to where I started. Honestly, beside some cool costumes, there's not a lot of incentive to go exploring anyway.

What one way doors are you talking about?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Shinmera posted:

What one way doors are you talking about?

The ones which require switches to open them or clear the room of enemies to enter them. Not sure about the second one, but the first one is kind of frustrating, because in that case you can just turn around.
I think I go into such a situation by going far to the up and right from the last train station in the list.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Finished the game. The platforming felt really good. The combat was okayish. The story was serviceable.
Well I had some fun. Thanks for making this game.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

The ones which require switches to open them or clear the room of enemies to enter them. Not sure about the second one, but the first one is kind of frustrating, because in that case you can just turn around.
I think I go into such a situation by going far to the up and right from the last train station in the list.

Ah, yeah, region 3 is the only one that has some paths that are closed off like that requiring a circle back for a stretch.

Glad you enjoyed the game overall, though!

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

I'm getting constantly killed by elevators.
Maybe i should stop constantly recalling elevators while climbing shafts.

The spikey puzzles can get frustrating, but thanks to your accessibility options they're never gamekillers, so i'm having fun.
Did you consider an automatic babby mode, like some mario games have?
"You died 10 times in a row, maybe you're dumb. Want some cheats enabled for this level/location?"

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I find those suggestions to be universally terrible because they don't know the user, and more likely than not will just piss people off. It certainly always feels insulting whenever I encounter such a thing.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Dang, already a month gone by since release. Time sure does fly these days!

Here's another monthly update for y'all: https://reader.tymoon.eu/article/423

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Big announcement this month: The next big update will launch next week, March 8th!!

And lots more going on, so check out the update: https://reader.tymoon.eu/article/424

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

And the update is now live!

Hope to see some community levels being made!

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Just a heads-up, the "mods documentation" link at the top of this page is broken. Seems like there's a .html at the end of it that shouldn't be there.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Ah dang, forgot I had renamed that document to modules.html. The link has been fixed, thanks for letting me know!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

It's April, and here's a short update for ya: https://reader.tymoon.eu/article/427

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
I got Kandria in the summer sale, and I've been enjoying it so far. I'm not too far along in the story, I think -- I've met and helped out Islay and Innis and have become a full member of the Noka. The story is interesting enough so far, and I like the very open design of the map. It's nice to just pick a direction and go see what's there, sometimes, and the platforming segments are good too. Fishing and the races are good little diversions, although it feels odd that when you're running at full speed dashing actually slows you down.

I really appreciate the detailed options for configuring controls, too. Having separate settings for in-game and menu controls and being able to bind multiple keys to the same function is very convenient.

The map is not that great, unfortunately. It really needs to indicate connections between rooms, especially since there are some places where rooms are right next to each other but don't actually connect. The trace function is nice, though.

I understand why there isn't a separate portrait for every character you can talk to, but a bit more variety for the "generic" characters would have been nice. Even just having a few recolors of the existing portraits would've helped. There's one conversation between a barkeep and two patrons that was somewhat annoying to follow, as all three characters had the exact same portrait.

A few minor bugs I've come across:
-- After assigning a key to "accept (in menus)", I could not assign the same key to an in-game function (like dashing). Trying to do so just resulted in no key being assigned. This was easy to work around, I just assigned the other functions for that key first.
-- I have both x and enter assigned to "accept", but when choosing an amount to buy or sell, only enter works. (Maybe because it's technically a text-entry field, so the game thinks I'm trying to enter the letter "x" instead?)
-- When I scroll past the "gamma" and "interface size" sliders with the up or down arrows, the game also moves the slider one step right or left. Not sure what's going on there, I'm not doing anything unusual with the configuration for directional keys in the menus.
-- In the default configuration, "advance" and "accept" are bound to the same key. Using this key to accept a dialogue option also acts as an advance command for the next line of dialogue, so it appears immediately instead of letter-by-letter like other dialogue. This feels unintentional.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Glad you're enjoying it so far!

Yeah the map is a common complaint. Room connections were left out because there are secret rooms, which you'd never know to look for if the other rooms were marked up, or would be non-secret if they were marked up as well.

And yeah, the limited set of portraits was one of the many sacrifices made at the altar of time and budget. I initially wanted to have animated portraits, too, but alas~

Thanks for the bug reports! I'm currently very busy with engine prep work for the next game project, so I'm not sure when I'll get to taking a look at them, I'm afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
I forgot to mention: the music is great! I particularly like the song that plays in the tunnels just below the Noka base.

Shinmera posted:

Thanks for the bug reports! I'm currently very busy with engine prep work for the next game project, so I'm not sure when I'll get to taking a look at them, I'm afraid.

No worries, those are all really minor issues. Best of luck with your next game.