Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's brassicas all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CommonShore posted:

Looks to me like it could be canola

Well in Denmark we grow a great deal of raps, the local european canola - but are we not too late in the year for it to be in the start of its life cycle?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Scarodactyl posted:

It's brassicas all the way down.

Yeah horseradish too.

Tias posted:

Well in Denmark we grow a great deal of raps, the local european canola - but are we not too late in the year for it to be in the start of its life cycle?

Was going to ask - would probably need to be southern hemisphere to be canola.

Horseradish makes more sense to me - looks pretty similar leaf-wise to canola, and now might be more like harvest time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Does not look like any horseradish I've ever seen.

Tias posted:

I know nothing about growing in Denmark, but I do know that lots of the euro gardeners I follow will grow winter plantings of brassicas.

Like, it could be some other plant from that family, and there's not really any way to tell until the plant matures more, but the planting density looks more like how I see canola/rape grow. It's way way too closely planted for it any of the head-forming varieties.

I'm totally confident in saying is that it's a brassica of some sort. I'm guessing with a high degree of certainty from experience as a grower and observer that it's not a head-forming crop, and with a lower degree of certainty that it's not a stem-forming crop like kholrabi or swede.

Process of elimination leaves us with mustard greens, a flat kale, or canola/rape.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It's pretty incredible stumbling across a Bigleaf Magnolia in bloom:

It has the largest simple leaf and largest flower in North America, I believe.
I got to this thread from a different thread that I was linked to in a third thread, and I saw this in the OP. there is a forest in Massachusetts that has a weird variety of plants I've not seen anywhere else in the state, and I think the story is someone had an elaborate garden with a bunch of exotic and decorative plants. when they died it was left untended for decades, eventually turning into a forest with a bunch of weird plants in it. among them are a bunch of plants with absolutely massive leaves, are these Bigleaf Magnolias?

apologies for the lovely photo quality, these are over a decade old and multiple phones ago.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Seek says it’s an M. tripetala/Umbrella Magnolia. Native to the Eastern US

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I was gonna say it's not a bigleaf magnolia because MA is way north of it's native range, but apparently there is one (or some) growing at the Arnold Arboretum in Boston. The leaves in that pic look a little more like umbrella magnolia-I don't think of Bigleaf magnolia's leaves as being quite so organized on branch tips. Bigleaf magnolias have bigger leaves than umbrella magnolias, but that's kind of hard to tell without two of them side by side and would vary by individuals/growing conditions as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
cool! this was in a park near new hampshire, there were a bunch of other things like bushes that looked like they were the sorts you'd see decorating outside office buildings, but...in the wild.

there was also the ever-encroaching scourge of oriental bittersweet choking absolutely everything. it's so sad.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Check with your local park rangers, a lot of places host volunteer events and/or train laypeople to beat back invasives in public areas.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

At ~7 years in the ground (planted from a 3gal container), 5" DBH, and ~20' tall MY BIGLEAF MAGNOLIA is blooming for the first time this year:

I'll try to remember to takes pics as it opens over the next few days. They don't smell quite as good as M. grandiflora but still a nice smelling flower.

Some tree pics for comparison-just overall to me looks a little shaggier and less neatly organized than the pics of umbrella magnolias.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

the yeti posted:

Check with your local park rangers, a lot of places host volunteer events and/or train laypeople to beat back invasives in public areas.
I have had enough trouble dealing with oriental bittersweet on my own property, let alone going somewhere else and dealing with it there too. poo poo is a plague upon the land

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

i feel like i spend half of my gardening time fighting oriental bittersweet, black swallow wort, and japanese knotweed. that poo poo sucks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I border a forest that is choked with the poo poo, so there is ZERO hope of me ever getting rid of it for good.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Insanite posted:

i feel like i spend half of my gardening time fighting oriental bittersweet, black swallow wort, and japanese knotweed. that poo poo sucks.
Tree of Heaven, I will destroy you if it takes the rest of my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Neon Noodle posted:

Tree of Heaven, I will destroy you if it takes the rest of my life

Apply Triclopyr, repeatedly