Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Problem description: So, a few days ago, my 7-yr-old laptop went rogue and kept rebooting into an infinite Aptio Utility loop, not recognizing how to boot into Windows. The machine had been freezing up and getting errors constantly throughout the year so I figured, it's on its deathbed, extracted the HDD, and bought a new laptop.
After hooking up the HDD to an enclosure in an effort to recover what I could from the old hard drive, I realized that 80 gigs of the 1TB HD were unanswered for: there was a D and an E drive, but the 80-gig C-drive partition was completely gone.

Attempted fixes:
Not visible in Disk Mgmt, not Unallocated Space; nothing. The C-Drive was where Windows 10 resided in---would I be wrong in assuming the HDD have a meltdown and as a result, the partition with my OS got wiped in the aftermath? I'd be pretty bummed out if that's the case since I had some mildly important stuff on that partition. Kind of weird if that's what happened, but I can't think of any other explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DLC Inc posted:

...would I be wrong in assuming the HDD have a meltdown and as a result, the partition with my OS got wiped in the aftermath?

I doubt it was fully wiped. Usually if something like that disappears it means that the MBR got damaged and the OS can't see the partition properly.

You could try some kind of data recovery tool to see if it can find the C partition:
https://www.journaldev.com/36900/top-best-linux-data-recovery-tools

Also, running CDI will show if your HDD is damaged:
https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/73507/CrystalDiskInfo8_8_1.exe/