Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

You might get lucky with them but I would not trust them. You can do the Kodak safelight test to see if they are safe pretty easily. Do not do the coin test, it doesn't really work because it only tests paper pre-exposure.

Basically cut a mask for a sheet of your paper and expose a strip around 1 inch wide (you want the paper to develop to a light grey). Move the paper to the brightest part of your darkroom and expose it to your safelight in stages of 1 minute, 2 minutes then 4 minutes. Then mask off the other side of the test strip and expose that to the same time in your enlarger. This'll show you how your safelight performs pre and post exposure and how much working time you have under your safelight until it is unsafe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

a dingus posted:

I just bought what seems like almost an entire dark room off Craigslist for $50. The only thing I'm missing is chemicals. It's been almost 20 years since I've used an enlarger or made prints.

Do I have the room for any of this? No
Do I have a million other projects I need to finish first? Yes
Did I just get into woodworking? Yes
Do I have tons of other hobbies already, like motorcycles, banjos, computers and weight lifting? Yes
Do I have a newborn who I give all of my attention to? Yes
Do I know why I did this? Not really.

So as far as lenses go for this thing. I have a 50mm so I can make 35mm prints. Is there anything I should watch out for as far as crappy brands, fungus growth etc?

Nice! The 6x9 enlargers seem fairly common here, 4x5 is a bit harder to come by.

I’ve found that the random red LED strips that are 100% fine for wet plate do fog paper, I’d err on the side of a proper safelight.

I wouldn’t worry about the lens too much. As far as a darkroom, the Ilford tent is p decent and B&H may still be running their special on it.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Speaking of fogging paper, today I answered the question of whether a random red safelight (a 4x5 contact printer that came with my darkroom setup) was compatible with Kodak OC (amber) - nope!

For fellow apartment dwellers, I can definitely recommend the Ilford Pop-Up Darktent I mentioned in my last post. This is actually my first time using it for its intended purpose (wet printing with an enlarger, I mainly use it for wet plate collodion), it has a reasonably small footprint and isn't too bad to put up. You'll want a 4' folding table for setting things up on.

If you have the room to leave something up permanently, a hydroponic grow tent will give you more space and be cheaper, but the Ilford tent is lot nicer to set up/break down.