Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I thought the Corn of Copia was slain in aught six

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Does copious come from cornucopia?

Miriam Webster posted:

What's the difference between copious, ample, and plentiful?

Copious dates to the 14th century, during the era of English known as Middle English. Like most terms entering the language then, it comes ultimately from Latin, from the word copia, meaning "abundance." (Cornucopia combines this same root with cornu, meaning "horn," to form the phrase "horn of plenty.") Latin copia combines the prefix co- and -op, * ops, meaning "wealth" or "power." (That asterisk means that ops is assumed to have existed or has been reconstructed by means of comparative evidence.) The latter also features in the history of opulent, meaning "wealthy" or "luxurious."

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

credburn posted:

did the word "galaxy" come from "lactate" just because they share etymological roots in the same greek word?

TBLALV
Aug 5, 2022
How does Copium fit in

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

InediblePenguin posted:

did the word "galaxy" come from "lactate" just because they share etymological roots in the same greek word?

Yes? It’s not like we’re talking fascists and fajitas here.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

credburn posted:

corn means horn (like unicorn) and copia means plenty (like copious)

copious means plenty (like copious)

looks as though they're both Renaissance Latin

TBLALV posted:

How does Copium fit in

huh... cope used to mean fight (like coup) until it didn't

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Not a Mandela effect, but relevant to the issue of errors on maps and such: Does Venus have a moon called Zoozve?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Martin Sheen’s character is called “The Illusive Man”, and yes, this is parody.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
The Man-dela

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Whenever Leap Year comes around, I always get a weird deja vu feeling, like we just had a leap year last year or the year before that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dr Christmas posted:

Whenever Leap Year comes around, I always get a weird deja vu feeling, like we just had a leap year last year or the year before that.

I had the opposite feeling, like "oh yeah, that's a thing that exists". I don't even have the slightest memory of February 29, 2020 occurring, for reasons that are a complete unknown :iiam:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The fruit of the loom logo had the cornucopia in it, I remember it, I know this was real

My life is a toilet of lies

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Dr Christmas posted:

That's just being old. You're old as poo poo now.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I coulda sworn Lawrence Fishburne was in the movie Sphere. I guess i havent seen that movie in ages. But imdb tells me he's not.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

He was in Event Horizon, another sci-fi thriller from 1997 featuring a sentient spacecraft and an actor from Jurassic Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Zeniel posted:

I coulda sworn Lawrence Fishburne was in the movie Sphere. I guess i havent seen that movie in ages. But imdb tells me he's not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y1o8910Xs4