Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I'm not worried about Wentz cause he is a washed up hack. Bring on the Ehinger the gun slinger!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishvara
Dec 10, 2009

When I die, I hope to go to Heaven, whatever the Hell that is.

Elephanthead posted:

I'm not worried about Wentz cause he is a washed up hack. Bring on the Ehinger the gun slinger!!

#takesthatwillnotagewell

Ishvara fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 3, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

JT Jag posted:

On the flipside, the track record of the Colts predicting how long their starting QB is gonna be out is... not great!

Wentz retires in September

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
So Nelson and Wentz are gonna have identical surgeries on consecutive days. Together they have 2 working feet.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Wentz has infected the people closest to him with his boneitis

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
And probably the delta too TBH

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bismack Billabongo posted:

And probably the delta too TBH

they're up to 76% vaxed!

I mean, they're probably living in a population that is 50% or less vaxed, but whatever.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

EvilBeard posted:

So Nelson and Wentz are gonna have identical surgeries on consecutive days. Together they have 2 working feet.

Eh Nelson on one foot is still a top 5 guard.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I’d suggest give Nelson Wentz’s other foot but it’d probably break too.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Indianapolis Foot Boners need to hire an expert. I suggest Rex Ryan.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

With all the hype about Trevor Lawrence, I got to thinking today...

If he tuns out to be a total bust, who would be the closest comparison at the QB position? The last couple QB's I remember with this level of "can't miss" are Andrew Luck and John Elway, neither of whom are obviously even close to being busts. I don't remember Ryan Leaf being labeled a sure thing even though there was some debate about taking him over Manning.

I can't think of a guy that has received this level of expectation who totally just poo poo the bed, even accounting for injuries. Looking over this list of all time busts at the position, none of them come close to Lawrence's projections.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1047730-50-biggest-quarterback-busts-in-nfl-draft-history

Nearest I can think of are Vince Young, Tim Couch, Rg3 and Jeff George but, all of whom I thought would be good, but none of them were regarded like Elway, Trevor or Luck.

I don't count it as a given that Jax still can't somehow gently caress this up but I have to admit it's nice to feel some optimism with the Jags for a change. If Trevor flames out it would almost be historic, wouldn't it?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Looked at the schedule again thinking 13-4

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

If he tuns out to be a total bust, who would be the closest comparison at the QB position? The last couple QB's I remember with this level of "can't miss" are Andrew Luck and John Elway, neither of whom are obviously even close to being busts. I don't remember Ryan Leaf being labeled a sure thing even though there was some debate about taking him over Manning.

I can't think of a guy that has received this level of expectation who totally just poo poo the bed, even accounting for injuries. Looking over this list of all time busts at the position, none of them come close to Lawrence's projections.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1047730-50-biggest-quarterback-busts-in-nfl-draft-history

Nearest I can think of are Vince Young, Tim Couch, Rg3 and Jeff George but, all of whom I thought would be good, but none of them were regarded like Elway, Trevor or Luck.

I don't count it as a given that Jax still can't somehow gently caress this up but I have to admit it's nice to feel some optimism with the Jags for a change. If Trevor flames out it would almost be historic, wouldn't it?

Scouting has gotten better in the last few years so a lot of flaws you wouldn't know about in the process in the 90s/00s are center stage now. The closest recent comparison I can think of is Rosen but he was not in any way a can't miss type prospect.

Teva
Feb 22, 2007

Rosen's hype kinda died down every year he played in college it seemed like. He had a similar level of hype to Trevor going into college I think, but not coming out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Teva posted:

Rosen's hype kinda died down every year he played in college it seemed like. He had a similar level of hype to Trevor going into college I think, but not coming out.

I remember a lot of noise about Brady Quinn and Marcus Mariota too but not like this.

I suppose it's too early to mention Tua yet but he might qualify.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Colts fans worry not

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1422696990996148230

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kaepernick?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BiggerBoat posted:

As others have mentioned, scouting has changed a ton over the years. A big difference between a lot of those guys and the likes of Elway, Peyton Manning, Luck, or now Lawrence is they were all hyped and viewed as the best QB prospect for years before they were actually drafted. Both Peyton and Luck would have been the #1 overall pick had they come out a year earlier, for example.

With a lot of those other guys, that wouldn't have been the case. For example, Jeff George wouldn't have overtaken Troy Aikman to be the #1 pick or top QB in 1989, and but may have gone #2 overall to Green Bay in place of Tony Mandarich (Reminder that picks 3-5 in 1989 were Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, and Deion Sanders). Couch was viewed as the best prospect of a not highly regarded class. Vince Young elevated his stock a ton in his final year, plus the way he played in the Rose Bowl, and decided to declare for the draft after all that when his hype was at its peak and it'd make him a top 3 pick. RG3 wasn't even considered as a 1st round QB until a good bit into his Heisman season, and really only started shooting up into the top 2 and being discussed by some talking heads as maybe passing Luck for #1 until late that season.

Certainly within the last 30-odd years, I don't think any prospect that was watched and projected as #1 for as long as Lawrence did flamed out on their own. That said, you can simply look at how the Colts failed to build a solid team around Andrew Luck for an easy way that Lawrence could hit trouble. In the Colts case, Luck helped the team go 11-5 in his rookie year, and the way Ryan Grigson interpreted that was the Colts were just a few pieces away and they didn't need to significantly invest in an offensive line because Luck could get away from it or shrug off most hits. Thus, while their 2012 draft and free agency went pretty well outside of Luck and helped them win games that season, the majority of their moves in the following years were very poor, and while Luck was able to keep the team winning in spite of those moves and coaching that was mediocre at best, he got beaten to hell and back, eventually breaking down as we all know.

So yeah, if Trevor flames out basically on his own, it would be pretty historic. That said, he's far more likely to be failed by lovely coaching and a lovely front office.

Teva
Feb 22, 2007

fartknocker posted:

likely to be failed by lovely coaching and a lovely front office.

So the ol' Jaguars special.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Pacman Jones is fighting in rough n rowdy on the 27th and it will be very fun. He's going up against somebody who is 5-0 and holds multiple belts. Wondering if he'll take a dive like conseco or get wrecked like many non-boxing athletes before him

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

fartknocker posted:

That said, you can simply look at how the Colts failed to build a solid team around Andrew Luck for an easy way that Lawrence could hit trouble.

Yeah, but he's coming to Jacksonville. No way we fail to build a solid team around him.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, but he's coming to Jacksonville. No way we fail to build a solid team around him.

It is ok no way your coach with no experience will screw it up.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Elephanthead posted:

It is ok no way your coach with no experience will screw it up.

how many wins has he gotten?

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
I think I'm ready for the inevitable Urban poo poo show, who has clearly not done any homework on why Spurrier failed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So how has Trevor looked in camp so far?

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Overall pretty well, had a two pick session to close it out but a lot of gushing from staff/players about him generally.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/duva...-it-up-and-more

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Imagine him with a real NFL coach.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So I talked mad poo poo about the Titans having a first round pick retire after one year and news is coming out that Jaguars 2020 first round pick CJ Henderson might retire. I have possibly been owned, I am putting this forward myself now so there's no point in digging through my post history later.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

JT Jag posted:

So I talked mad poo poo about the Titans having a first round pick retire after one year and news is coming out that Jaguars 2020 first round pick CJ Henderson might retire. I have possibly been owned, I am putting this forward myself now so there's no point in digging through my post history later.

You're a jags fan, you already owned yourself friend

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Wait what the gently caress??

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Pre-season games starting, probably time to reboot the thread here.

If someone wants to make a new one, I'd appreciate it.

Please make sure Wentz is not included in the OP, very important, because I hate him.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Athanatos posted:

Pre-season games starting, probably time to reboot the thread here.

If someone wants to make a new one, I'd appreciate it.

Please make sure Wentz is not included in the OP, very important, because I hate him.

I am happy to make another one. Big Jeff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
New thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3975959