Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

^ lots of shitheads around.

Another data point for dog poo chat:

Looks like a pretty good reason to always carry it out rather than flicking it off path on agricultural land - I don't see why the same shouldn't be expected on wild land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Look bud, my poop, loud music, and drunk fire are key to occupying space and keeping it away from you fuckers

Yesterday evening we put out an idiots' fire still smoking from the night before. There was a water source like 50 yards away, lazy assholes

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
We have one bike/hike trail that used to cross a cattle grazing tenure and the grazier was getting pissed off about off leash dogs chasing his cows. It came to a head where there was talk about any dogs seen on the property being shot on sight. Que the outraged dog owners ranting about how if anyone shot their dog they'd blah blah blah.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Couple weekends ago I was hiking at a pretty popular lake, with 500 ft bluffs on the side of the lake (Devil's Lake, in WI, very pretty, however SUPER packed). Was a bit confused when a big, floofy Samoyed comes wandering down the path. Starts following us. I ran into a couple of other hikers coming in our direction, and asked if it was their floof. Nope, belongs to the rock climbers. A half dozen people, and acres of rope, and they can't either spare a person topside to watch the dog, or secure him on a leash.

Plenty of other responsible dog walkers, and when we would meet people coming up the trail, would warn them if they have a reactive dog that there was a large male unleashed dog ahead. Got to the base and told the ranger and she sighed, and said she'd get someone up there. Who takes a dog rock climbing? I didn't even see any water up there for him either, and it was a pretty warm day. Assholes. They had a lot of serious looking rope kit, too, so it wasn't like they're off bouldering on a lark.

Arkhamina fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 4, 2021

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
That dog has an Instagram account with tags like #climbingdogs etc

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
The grazier local to my farm has serious issues with dog walkers scaring, injuring and driving off his cattle into the woods (see the one in my av) and every time the dog owner swears up and down that the dog never did this before, always fine off the leash, they don't know what got into them/made them run off etc

On a school geology field trip as a kid my teachers were the idiots- we visited a beach to learn about groynes and after an hour or so they decided that rather than take the coach on to the next site just over 2 miles up the coast, as it was a really nice hot day we would all hike it. They showed us it on a map. Just a little bit.

Almost everyone, myself included, had left their drinks on the coach and had spent the last hour walking already and were thirsty but pleas to go back to the coach were ignored and we were marched off up the coastline because hey it's just two miles they showed up the map and we can meet the coach there and have a drink.

The walk was on chalk cliffs with just a bit of turf on them, constant hard going up or down slopes and it was around noon so it was really beating down with the sunshine. First kid to faint made it about halfway, at least another 3 went down before the end- all organisation went to poo poo as there weren't enough teachers to deal with multiple sick kids and they were real lucky no-one got lost or wandered off a cliff edge

I made it, but only just, and I have never felt that dehydrated since and I still remember how scarily fast it changed from the familiar "hey this sucks I really want a drink" to "I can barely walk in a line I'm so dizzy and my head is pounding". It was the 90s so there were zero consequences for the teachers despite ambulances being called out other than us all being pissed off/sick/tired out for the rest of the trip

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me of one. Skiing back a valley, I noticed a few sets of teenagers in hoodies. Not too weird, it's a nice sunny day and a popular trail, they seem happy running around. But heading back after sunset, seeing what looks like some of the same crew, now looking quite cold with arms curled and hoods pulled tight. I asked them, and find out they are a wrestling team. I got back to the trail head and sure enough there were the coaches, standing at the map. "Missing some wrestlers?" "Ya..." It seems they sent the team to climb a popular peak, which should take an hour or two. However they didn't think to make sure they took the right trail, or send a chaperone. I saw some of them like 4 miles back that valley, and still heading out. I checked the news the next day but no headlines, so I'm guessing they got away with it.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
Hey, loving off-leash dogchat! My sister and I were backpacking in Big Basin on a narrow trail crossing a steep slope, no sign of people or development anywhere other than the trail. We heard/saw something crashing through the brush on the slope above us. We thought it was a deer, but then saw it was a huge loving shepherd-style dog, and another huge dog came running full tilt toward us on the trail. My sister has a bum knee and we both had big packs so we obviously couldn't run, and there was no time to move. Both dogs blew past us and off into the distance. A few minutes later after trying to shake it off and hike on, we came across a little cabin with someone unloading her car in the driveway and half-assedly calling her dogs with no response... at that point, they might as well be feral, ykwim?

My mom, sister, and I have all been attacked by people's off-leash dogs in the past, to the point of drawn blood in two separate instances. One of the only subjects that's made me wish for a handgun!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tale as old as tourism:

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article263021718.html

"The hikers weren’t prepared for their trek. They didn’t pack extra clothing to stay dry, and their tent had no rain fly, officials said. The hikers also didn’t have extra food or water, and they didn’t have layers to survive the night temperatures. “These hikers said they did not understand why it was so cold and rainy in Colorado, because it has been ‘so hot in Texas’ where they hike all the time,” rescuers said. “They never checked any weather forecasts.”"

They pitched their tent at ~11,000 feet.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

?????? They planned to camp without food and water???????

God bless Texas, the center of the universe

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Look, if Jesus gave free food and water to thousands on some mountain then why not me?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
WTF you mean doordash won't deliver above 10k feet??

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
As a lifelong Texan, I can confirm that Texans are stupid as gently caress.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

3 18-year old dudes who came stumbling into our shelter at 5 in the morning. Soaking wet, hauling sleeping bags that were even more wet because it had been raining for about 10 hours at that point. They had no rain gear, hadn’t taken a map and cellphones didn’t show the trail so they had gotten lost.

It was relatively close to a populated area so at some point during the night they had managed to stumble upon a road and tried to sleep up against a house, that gave at least some shelter.

I guess it was lucky they had chosen to hike in an area that had reception and it was a warm night. because drat it doesn’t take much to get hypothermia or twist an ankle in the dark and then it doesn’t really matter how close you are to civilization if you’re lost.

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

Old story from years ago but I can never forget it. My boyfriend (now husband) and I took my friend's brother backpacking in the Badger Creek wilderness near-ish Mount Hood. Hiked up a trail to make camp, and there were two viable areas to set up camp in. We rolled up at the same time as another, larger group appeared from an intersecting trail. They were very up in our business (and much older than us), trying to insist that they needed the campsite closest to water because of reasons that I don't recall making sense. We were fine letting them have it, but they just kept talking and talking to try and argue why we should not have it. We wanted to camp on the exposed helispot anyway; the vista was breathtaking. Well, we go to the spring to get water, near their camp (it was the only source of water nearby). They keep trying to chat us up like they hadn't been dickish about the campsite stuff. We're cordial, but not chatty, and we get out of there as soon as we refill our waters. We get a fire going back at our campsite, at which point their entire group comes over to our camp. The main guy is one hell of a talker and at this point, isn't really trying to engage us in a conversation, but just wants to talk at us. At one point, he turns to us and says "hasta la taco," and then his group laughs and leaves.

We assume they were high, which is fine. Just don't be high and annoying. Also, leave me alone.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
With friends, but not close ones, I rented a camp site at a state park, and chose the site because the previous picture made it look like it had hammock trees. I told friends, who got an adjacent site. They got there first, and the guy (a couple) hung his hammock in the exact middle, between the sites. He had acceptable trees on his half, but didn't want THOSE trees. I had to use back up tent, nothing else had the right spacing.

Oh, and his girlfriend was in the tent he set up on the far side of his site. He refused to move.

Fucker proceeded to drink hard and snore like an absolute warthog. Myself and a friend were staring daggers at his lumpy cocoon early morning, as we both got no sleep, wondering if we could smother him and get away with it. I've heard quieter generators. He never even left camp, we went hiking and he sat in a lawn chair drinking the whole time. Why even bother? (Don't invite him out anymore)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
At least twice we've packed up and drove home in the middle of the night cuz of drunk idiots. Once we were worried they were going to hit our tent with their truck. We're more selective about car camping now

Oh right, we have one like you too, where it was friends. Buddy organizes a float camp, wants to keep it smaller and more intimate. But word gets around and like 20+ sign on. He still wants to have a chill scene, hopes maybe they choose a different site to camp. But no, they set up on the same gravel bar. One of them brought a PA for blasting music

Epitope fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 9, 2023