Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
What’s ULTRAKILL?

ULTRAKILL is a retro-style FPS. It’s got blocky textures and heaps of blood and guts, you run 90 miles per hour, bounce off the walls, and never have to reload. If you like classics like DOOM (both the originals and the recent two), Quake, Unreal, etc., then this is made explicitly for you.

It includes modern quality of life features. For example, you can only heal by splattering yourself in enemy blood when shooting them at close range, forcing action-forward gameplay. Movement features walljumps, slides, and dashing. Levels have a classic look and feel while also incorporating modern gated monster arenas rather than pure corridor wandering. The devs clearly took some good lessons from the best parts of DOOM Eternal.

Other features:
- Extremely fast gameplay
- Lots of enemies to fight at once
- Comical levels of gore
- Classic shooter level design including secret passages, hidden items, corridors, crushers, creepy church atmosphere, lava, and extremely pixelated trees
- No reloading
- Infinite ammo
- A bangin’ soundtrack
- An endless horde mode with a cool customizable morphing area
- Neat gun design (my favorite is a gun where the alt-fire causes you to toss a coin in the air - if you hit the coin, it deflects a critical shot into the nearest enemy. Very much reminds me of the Shock Rifle :hellyeah:.)
- Unapologetically minimal story. I came to BLEED, not to READ.

There’s a huge range of graphical settings to feed your need for classic blocky textures (or sharpen things up if you hate that!) A favorite feature of mine is a literal “Playstation Mode” which faithfully pixelates the 3D models and gives textures that classix PSX warp-and-wobble.

Seriously the graphics settings are super fun. You can choose a continuum from actually pretty sharp but retro-inspired to unplayable sludge.

For what it’s worth, the game runs at a steady 144 FPS on my GTX 1070 on an ultrawide. It’s buttery smooth.

Your description didn’t hook me - is there a demo?
Yeah sorry, the game is something you gotta feel. My description isn’t going to do it justice. Luckily, there’s a FREE DEMO on Steam.

Go try it and feel it for yourself.

Screenshots and Video
Official trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXiCFvaoVik

Here’s the graphics from sharpest to Playstation-esque to absurdly low just for fun (all taken @ ultrawide resolution):

Where can I buy it?
Steam and itch.io, maybe elsewhere too.

It’s only $20.00, or $16.00 if you buy it on Steam right now.

Is this thing unfinished and in early access like every goddamn thing on Steam these days?

Yes. You should be aware that the game is not yet finished.

Here’s the dev’s statement on the state of the game:

The Developer of ULTRAKILL posted:

“The current Early Access version includes the prelude and the first act. 15 levels (as well as 2 secret levels), 8 bosses, 8 enemies, 4 weapons (with 2-3 variations each) and 2 difficulty modes. The prelude and first act have both been made sure to reach the level of quality that would be expected of a completed game.”

Multiplayer?
Single player only.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Yeah, I was watching Mr. Icarus play this on Saturday and I went straight to the Steam store page and brought it. And I don't usually do Early Access. Can't wait to see how this keeps getting fleshed out.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Goddamn the endless mode is fantastic in this.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
this owns hard, but is also so hard it owns me

only played a bit of it and the only way i beat any bosses so far is madly running away and tossing coins, which isn't exactly the optimal fantasy for such a fast bloody game

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Pro Tip from a casual idiot: The alt nailgun's secondary interacts with the primary nailgun's magnetic spikes :hellyeah: (I still died thirteen times to Hideous Mass on default difficulty :downs: )

Pro Don't from a casual idiot: Alt shotgun causes a self harm explosion if you shoot it after overloading it. More importantly, it seems you will NOT heal from the resulting geyser of enemy blood killed this way :supaburn:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Section Z posted:

Pro Tip from a casual idiot: The alt nailgun's secondary interacts with the primary nailgun's magnetic spikes :hellyeah: (I still died thirteen times to Hideous Mass on default difficulty :downs: )

Pro Don't from a casual idiot: Alt shotgun causes a self harm explosion if you shoot it after overloading it. More importantly, it seems you will NOT heal from the resulting geyser of enemy blood killed this way :supaburn:

it will heal you, its just you get thrown away by the blast also, so if you arent like right on top of them you won't heal

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Pro-tip, Sliding is omidirectional.

Yes, you can slide away from things while shooting them.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

juggalo baby coffin posted:

it will heal you, its just you get thrown away by the blast also, so if you arent like right on top of them you won't heal

drat, I guess I'm really goddamned terrible at that when not even waiting until I am physically colliding with enemies will heal me with "oops, TOO many shells!" self harm kaboom, even if an entire crowd of enemies around me dies in the process :doh:

I can lazily dash through enemies with safe fire for heals no problem at least, so maybe I should focus more on not overloading the alt shotgun in the first place :v:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Section Z posted:

drat, I guess I'm really goddamned terrible at that when not even waiting until I am physically colliding with enemies will heal me with "oops, TOO many shells!" self harm kaboom, even if an entire crowd of enemies around me dies in the process :doh:

I can lazily dash through enemies with safe fire for heals no problem at least, so maybe I should focus more on not overloading the alt shotgun in the first place :v:

i only tend to do it against huge crowds or the big floating faces, which might give out more blood

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

This game has that same unique feeling while playing that film eternal has where you don't realize you've been holding your breath since the last enemies spawned. Also, going back and replaying older stages really shows how much more skilled you get just going through the game.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Doom Eternal: "I'm the most intense, 'character action' style first person shooter released in 2020."

ULTRAKILL: "Hold my beer."

The first five stages of this game was enough to drain me. And it's only going to get harder. I might be getting too old for this stuff.

Right now I'm focusing on learning how things work and making progress than trying to be cute and go for score. I am really bad with the Marksman coin shot. Also, self-fragging with explosives is very much a thing, and one I should be avoiding.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Getting health back in this is extremely spotty. Yeah, I know that getting point blank blood spray is the way to go, but that's not always going to happen. Getting hit by the spray from farther away doesn't work half the time either. I was doing the King Minos fight and out of all the blood spray from that, especially in the transition to the second phase, I kept getting no health back despite being right underneath when it happens. If health restoration was a bit more reliable that would be nice.

Also, I don't like the fact that they automatically switch you back to the "default" mode for a weapon when you switch one out for something else. More than a couple of times I blew myself up with the charged shotgun shot when I really wanted to use the pump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Grimthwacker posted:

Getting health back in this is extremely spotty. Yeah, I know that getting point blank blood spray is the way to go, but that's not always going to happen. Getting hit by the spray from farther away doesn't work half the time either. I was doing the King Minos fight and out of all the blood spray from that, especially in the transition to the second phase, I kept getting no health back despite being right underneath when it happens. If health restoration was a bit more reliable that would be nice.

Also, I don't like the fact that they automatically switch you back to the "default" mode for a weapon when you switch one out for something else. More than a couple of times I blew myself up with the charged shotgun shot when I really wanted to use the pump.

I don't know if blood has a vertical 'drip' from that far away - I think the waterfall of gore is mostly aesthetic. In my experience the health restore AOE is a spherical burst at moment of impact. The best way to restore health versus Minos is blasting his hands on either side of the arena, not the face. The Railgun's drill alt is so loving good against bosses it feels like cheating.

Also, you can switch the defaults at the weapon shop kiosk! Just tweak the number next to the different modes for each gun - the FIRST thing I did was set the pump charge and marksman pistol as the defaults, that's a game changer.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 8, 2021