Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Problem description: Yesterday, on my 8470p Elitebook, I downloaded an update. After said update, the sound won't work and my wallpaper went black. No sound after an update has happened in the past, but I was able to find a fix online. Not so now. After the attempted fixes, it became bad enough that the message, "No speakers or headphones are plugged in". In the past, I didn't need either. There aren't even any input or output devices.

Attempted fixes: Deleting the sound drive from the Device Manager

Downloading a sound drive

Disabling the sound drive from the Device Manager

Deleting said sound drive, multiple times

Tried switching the sound settings to my Laptop, but I couldn't find how even with following instructions

Updating my sound driver, multiple times

When asking on Reddit, someone suggested deleting the update, so I deleted all of the ones from yesterday. Still nothing.

Recent changes: When I first started having problems, I deleted the sound drive that wasn't the basic one.
--

Operating system: Windows 10, 64 Bit

System specs: Elitebook 8470p, Intel (R) Core i5-3320M CPU Processor

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

The man called M fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I use this Github script to reset everything Windows Audio in cases like this.

https://gist.github.com/tigerhawkvok/b27b0cbaca2deda1ae33

This might work for you, but you may need to find another driver for that DAC. It would help to know which DAC it is; maybe HWInfo can tell you.