Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

kntfkr posted:

I twerk from home a dozen states away and have never met this IT guy so I can't do that sorry

Hmmm. Striptease maybe? He's probably already spying on you through your laptop's webcam, give him a good show. But make it clear that underpants don't come off until the game is installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
In AD if you check and uncheck the "password must be reset next logon" box it resets the password age :ssh:
[/quote]

Ooooooh. Nice. Didn’t know that.

Also look at you fancy pants admins with a working lab environment. We’re lucky that the patches load. Test? lol

Richard Cabeza fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 10, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

meat police posted:

are there really grievances filed against IT?

There should be.

(Our BYOD policy sets password expiry at 42 days...)

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

One time i worked at a bank and the program that handled wires wouldnt let me use a password that had an "i" as the third letter

The pw i was using was ChickenFucker50O0!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I retired in 2018. Reading this poo poo helps me remember why I do not miss working in IT.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I knew a coworker who got a job as head of IT and convinced his new job to switch all users on laptops to using only Chrome books.

Now he jokes that all his tickets responses are basically ‘that issue is actually google’s problem go hit them up for support’ for everything. He just needs to make sure traffic is moving.

I don’t know if he’s a madman or a loving genius.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Computer viking posted:

In AD, if you check the "password never expires" box, it works. :ssh:

Leaves more of an evidence trail, ofc - but it's compliant with recommendations from MS and NIST, so fuckit.

If the user changes their password 10 times in a row they can re use their existing password unless there is a group policy overriding it. :ssh:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Cracker King posted:

I knew a coworker who got a job as head of IT and convinced his new job to switch all users on laptops to using only Chrome books.

Now he jokes that all his tickets responses are basically ‘that issue is actually google’s problem go hit them up for support’ for everything. He just needs to make sure traffic is moving.

Our CTO keeps saying that we are gonna do this, and then they spend millions on the entrenched infrastructure of windows laptops each year.

They've been saying it for five years lmao

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Sales Chads vs IT Virgins

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ikd I've gone from service to sales and I've never wanted to die more earnestly.

Its 8am time to make the numbers go up so CEO can buy a bigger yacht

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Its 8am time to make the numbers go up so CEO can buy a bigger yacht

The episode of The Office where they put a cap on Jim's sales commissions always makes me angry.

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
I always try “Hitlercum69” first if I’m brute-forcing a password.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mozi posted:

all passwords must be at least a dozen characters long and cannot contain any letters or numbers used in any of your last dozen passwords

Thank god for upper areas of unicode space

猎人二

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Cracker King posted:

Google doesn't really "do" support. And investing your entire infrastructure with them effectively turns the relationship into a hostage situation with a hilariously lopsided power differential between you and Google.

Anyway, there's a problem if the needs of the workers go beyond the cookie cutter, i.e. if they need to do anything beyond data entry. Blowing them off will inevitably lead to shadow IT as people jury rig whatever it is they need by asking their nephews.

You do not want nephews of employees running a part of your IT.

(A not insignificant part of my job involves convincing people to give up their illicit means of computing so that we can take over and actually secure poo poo and have some kind of inventory of what's going on. It's extremely :psyduck:. I've seen things…)

…our IT group has internal guidelines for dealing with law enforcement, prominently linked to on our intranet…

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Antigravitas posted:

…our IT group has internal guidelines for dealing with law enforcement, prominently linked to on our intranet…

Run away and put in half a day of vacation from your phone when you spot them, last person still in the offices loses? :v:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
First step is to get the gently caress out of the line of fire and let the org deal with it. So…yes, kind of. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

GORDON posted:

The episode of The Office where they put a cap on Jim's sales commissions always makes me angry.

Capped sales commissions are an excellent reason to stop going to work after you hit your number though.