Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
One of the earliest SA in-jokes to eventually be defined as a meme was All Your Base Are Belong To Us. Ancient snake people and some gen-Xers might remember when All Your Base was photoshopped on threads here in SA, and I think it was goon JRR (RIP) who took the wording and made a song out of it, later becoming a Flash video.

As Shakespeare is best experienced in the original Klingon, so too is AYB in the original Flash, which includes tons of the aforementioned photoshops. The Flash video itself spawned numerous parodies/imitations/horrible crap on Newgrounds, that other primordial soup of internet/nerd culture in the late 90s/very early 2000s.

Zero Wing, the game that originated all of this, is getting its first official North American release as part of a collection of games from its developer, Toaplan. Knowyourmeme's article cites a source (which itself seems to point nowhere, but I'm sure there's a way to track it down) that says the first SA photoshop thread was November 2000, so we are looking at either an inadvertent or happy-coincidental 20th anniversary of one of SA's earliest influences.

I can't say I was on SA at the time, but I was addicted to the spread of it and archived everything I could find that ran with it, which was unfortunately lost over apartment moves long gone. I'm sure there's plenty to be said about early SA virality and influence, but this is one of the originals.

Happy 20th gooniversary, All Your Base! If anyone happens to have the old live-action parody with the guy holding up a spatula over his head as he played CATS, please post it and I'll gift you plat or make a donation to charity in your name or something.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
im in yer thread. postin yer doods

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Haha, just a little nostalgic humor for you.

Goldie The Mack
Nov 25, 2005

Go on and stick yo' seff
Twenty years ago I worked at Bestbuy as a computer tech. I remember watching All Your Base at work in between downloading songs from WinMX. gently caress that was a long time ago.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Zero Wing had an unironically banging soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_TFrpU7GI&t=1s