Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

EL BROMANCE posted:

Usual procedure is to get the GM and then delete the beta profile for the year, right? I've been on the PB for a while now and have all been pretty solid, which is reassuring. I don't think any of my apps stopped working the entire time (a few small issues with NoMoRobo that were always fixed with a reinstall).

Yeah you'll want to remove the profile. Otherwise you'll end up getting betas for the point updates (ie iOS 14.1 beta)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is the procedure at this link ( https://www.redmondpie.com/ios-14-gm-ota-profile-file-download-released-without-dev-account/ ) legit to get the GM? I never jumped on the public beta, but I'm totally down to get the GM a day early.

I'm not clicking a bunch of blind links on some random site.

Just go here on your device and sign up. You'll have to download a profile from that site, and then restart, then check for the update and it should show up. Delete the profile after it has installed if you don't want to stay on the beta channel.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah you'll want to remove the profile. Otherwise you'll end up getting betas for the point updates (ie iOS 14.1 beta)

So I was on the public beta, now I’ve updated to the version they just pushed out. Do I remove the profile now or wait until the actual release?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I was on the public beta, now I’ve updated to the version they just pushed out. Do I remove the profile now or wait until the actual release?

Up to you. There's always the possibility that when it officially drops tomorrow it can have a different build number so it could be a slightly newer version. If that's the case and you're on the beta channel, you won't get it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Just go here on your device and sign up. You'll have to download a profile from that site, and then restart, then check for the update and it should show up. Delete the profile after it has installed if you don't want to stay on the beta channel.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I thought it would be a lot more annoying to sign up for the beta profile but it wasn't. iOS14 early impressions - not crazy about it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Now that the GM is out, are apps getting their own widgets in iOS 14 or is it just the same few stock widgets that have been around for all the betas?

Like, will I be able to use a widget from a different weather app or am I stuck with the stock weather app? Or is that even known?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Now that the GM is out, are apps getting their own widgets in iOS 14 or is it just the same few stock widgets that have been around for all the betas?

Like, will I be able to use a widget from a different weather app or am I stuck with the stock weather app? Or is that even known?

App will need updated.

Currently, none of my apps have new-style widgets.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Developers found out that iOS 14 was coming out tomorrow during the event so they all have less than 24 hours to finalize their app/build for iOS 14, submit it, and hope that it passes review. I wouldn’t expect most apps to be iOS 14 ready until the weekend. Apparently they weren’t even allowed to submit apps for review until one hour ago.

https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/1305978233058402304

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 15, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Edit : nm

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Endless Mike posted:

fwiw redmondpie has always done these software links (for all sorts of OSes) and they're always legit. not suggesting it's necessarily a good habit to get into, but.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mediaphage posted:

fwiw redmondpie has always done these software links (for all sorts of OSes) and they're always legit. not suggesting it's necessarily a good habit to get into, but.
I use them to get the links when the GMs are out, they just link directly to the ones on Apple's servers:

https://www.redmondpie.com/download-ios-14-final-ipsw-links-ota-profile-file-along-with-ipados-14/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Stupid question, does Fitness+ require an actual AppleTV hardware or will it work on the AppleTV app on other devices (Samsung TV, Firetv, etc)

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Maneki Neko posted:

Stupid question, does Fitness+ require an actual AppleTV hardware or will it work on the AppleTV app on other devices (Samsung TV, Firetv, etc)

According to the site, it's in the Fitness app, not the AppleTV app.
https://www.apple.com/apple-fitness-plus/

quote:

Find it inside the Fitness app on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV.

Apple Fitness+ compatibility.
Apple Fitness+ requires Apple Watch Series 3 or later with watchOS 7 or later and one of the following Apple devices: iPhone 6s or later with iOS 14 or later, iPad with iPadOS 14 or later, or Apple TV with tvOS 14 or later.2

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

They straight-up showed someone in a hotel room (or facsimile of) doing it on their iPhone.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

They straight-up showed someone in a hotel room (or facsimile of) doing it on their iPhone.

Yeah, I have an old LCD TV in the garage next to the rowing machine that we use today for netflix, etc while working out using a cheap fire tv stick, I was mainly looking to see if could just use that without buying a hardware appletv or various dongles, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Maybe you'll be able to Airplay it?