Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Wife & I have friends in Key West, and we're probably going to visit them again in January 2021. Looking for a nice hotel on/near the water, but location otherwise does not matter. We've stayed at a couple of major chains/touristy places before in KW, and none have really blown our skirts up. The last place we stayed was Margaritaville, which had a fantastic location, but otherwise left us disappointed. Priorities are: 1) service 2) room quality 3) location near ocean 4) hotel amenities. All the major hotel review sites are vague, or they rate everything as awesome (we stayed at Margaritaville based on its reviews, and man-o-man it was super-overpriced). Cost isn't a huge issue, but I don't really want to spend more than $500/night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleTouch
Jun 16, 2020
Stayed at Angelina Guest House a couple times - https://www.angelinaguesthouse.com/. Get the ground floor room next to the pool. Quiet but near everything. Not on the beach, though...

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Oh, a beach isn't important..there are so few beaches in Key West it's not even a consideration, really. Come to think of it, I've never even looked for a KW hotel with a beach before...I can' imagine how much they must cost.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Apparently $300-350 per night according to Google’s hotel thing.

I got no help but am also interested in Key West suggestions. We were set to go there last spring, but yeah that didn’t work out.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
We stayed here 5 years ago:

https://almondtreeinn.com/

It was pretty good, I remember it being fairly cheap and convenient location for walking to a bunch of places. It's absolutely not a fancy place though.

Edit - a cursory glance shows prices far higher than I remember.

Edit 2 - I didn't notice the dates on the OP, oops!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Nah keep it coming, please.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Nah keep it coming, please.

In that case, I'll also add that for anyone driving to Key West from, say, Miami etc, make sure to check out the many sights on the way. We drove from Tampa Bay and opted to stay in Key Largo for a night. Feeding the tarpon at Robbie's in Islamorada is a fun touristy thing to do, and they also have a cool, sort of kitschy flea market there.

Hemingway House, butterfly conservatory, and of course the southernmost point buoy were our standouts in Key West. There is only one beach afaik, and it isn't super great. We snorkeled but didn't dive - the reef we saw was mostly dead/bleached. I'm not sure if the diving is better. For food, a place we still remember is a tiny little Israeli place serving Mediterranean type stuff. It's literally like a tent in front and a kitchen in the back. It was good.

I should say that even though the reef wasn't in good shape we still saw some good fish and was worthwhile.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 14, 2021

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Tent in front. Super sleuth time.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34345-d3808632-Reviews-Mam_s_Best_Food-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html

We now live about 3 hours from Key Largo and have been itching to go to the Keys. Someday I guess.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Tent in front. Super sleuth time.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34345-d3808632-Reviews-Mam_s_Best_Food-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html

We now live about 3 hours from Key Largo and have been itching to go to the Keys. Someday I guess.

Yep, that's the place! Good to see they're still around.

After looking at the prices for hotels, I'd opt for something on the cheaper side for sure, unless you have money to burn and absolutely want posh accommodations. We spent the majority of our time walking/driving around and relaxing at the pool. I suppose this advice is the same for a majority of trips where you don't plan on spending a lot of time in the room. A comfortable mattress, no bed bugs, and A/C is all you really need.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
My wife has informed me that we did indeed dive and not snorkel. I am getting very old. In my defense, a lot of dives sort of blend together after a while.