Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Hoping that someone can point out the obvious thing I'm doing wrong after putting up with this for too long:

I upgraded from a Vega 64 about four months ago to a 5700 XT for my 144hz monitor. With the Vega, I could quite happily boot something up, tweak the graphics settings and off I'd go. Since getting the new 5700 XT, I technically get the FPS boost I was expecting, but I have to set a fixed FPS for around 75% of my games. If I don't, I get quite bad juddering even if my chosen metrics display is showing 100fps +, for example. It's getting pretty annoying that I have to tweak most games in this way, despite apparently getting a good framerate.

I've got the usual settings like AMD Freesync enabled and try things such as enhanced sync on a game by game basis, which sometimes helps, others not so much.

Here's my set up:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 3.20GHz
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel @ 3200MHz (16-18-18-36)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z370P D3-CF (U3E1)
Graphics
27GL850 (2560x1440@144Hz)
8176MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Storage
447GB SanDisk Ultra II 480GB (SATA (SSD))
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRZ-00Z5HB0 (SATA )
3726GB Seagate Expansion SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) )
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
PSU
EVGA 750 GQ Modular Gold Rated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try running DDU and then installing the latest GPU drivers:
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3277

Also, make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Zogo posted:

You could try running DDU and then installing the latest GPU drivers:
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3277

Also, make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

I ended up formatting my C: drive and reinstalling Windows. I guess there must have been some driver issues or something as everything is good now - I'm getting better performance in areas that I thought were fine to begin with. Thanks for your suggestions though.