Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Problem description: The built-in webcam on the laptop has suddenly stopped working. I logged into Zoom earlier today and it showed the video preview as normal, but when I got into the meeting it showed a black screen (not my name, which is what it shows when the camera is turned off). The computer knows that the camera exists, but any program attempting to access the output it will display nothing (the Lenovo utility), display a plain black screen (Zoom, the screenshot from the Lenovo utility), or get stuck somewhere in the initialization (Discord, Google Meet). The indicator light for the camera never turns on when attempting to access the webcam. My suspicion is that the webcam is failing to start up properly, hence Windows and every program can see it, but nothing ever displays.

Attempted fixes: Updated Zoom to 5.2.3. Restarted laptop. Tried accessing webcam through Discord, Google Meet, and the Lenovo Communications Settings utility (accessed through Fn-F6). Checked BIOS. Disabled/enabled device through Windows Device Manager. Installed new driver (from Lenovo's website). Returned to old driver (the USB device fix as described on Lenovo's forums). Googling for

Recent changes: None that I'm aware of.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit, Service Pack 1

System specs: Lenovo T420 (4180-AP3 listed on the bottom of the machine), 2.5 GHz, 4GB RAM. Integrated camera is listed as a Ricoh.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Loudly talking about replacing the laptop spontaneously fixed the problem. It was not rebooted in the meantime, so I have NFI what happened.