Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
so ive been watching a lot of movies lately and bit worried about running out of them at the pace i've been going. i need to start rationing; shouldn't have gone as hard as I did initially at all.

im reading through the romance of the three kingdoms right now. but its only 500 pages long and well thats not going to last either. I've been video game free for almost a full week now and am running out of things to do. i keep catching myself opening something out of habit but i always slam it back closed before anything loads.

while better than video games, books and movies are just more hollow time sinks.

I could go and do more excerise and stretches , so what. im really close to being able to do the splits again for the first time in 10 years. it just doesn't matter without somebody to share with, you know. when I was a kid and could do the splits everybody would harass me over it. saying it was proof I had no balls. when you're doing the splits you're also very vulnerable so asking me to do the splits and then kicking me in the crotch was really popular.

I've got some fruit trees in nearby yards I can pick from, apples and plums, but that'll only last few another week or two when the frost comes.

I'm going to pre-chop some vegetables I think too, onion and carrots so I can cook something nice over the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Unironically get a hobby?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLgM1QJ3S_I

this song is pretty good but its been on loop for an awful long time

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
you can watch the Gebnalsds lose becasuse they suck

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
oh too late its alreadt over

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
i unironically want to try painting even though I was constantly told that enjoying things or wanting to do anything was gay when I was a kid.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
You cant beat fingering your rectum on a thursday evening

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
what's the easy mode painting medium to get started.

does walmart sell intro art kits or who actually sells that kind of stuff

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

op you sound really boring

try fishing, i have been fishing the last few thursdays and it has been really nice to get the gently caress out of the house for a bit

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
learn karate from youtube

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

food court bailiff posted:

op you sound really boring

try fishing, i have been fishing the last few thursdays and it has been really nice to get the gently caress out of the house for a bit

ehh I don't really want to get into hunting/fishing. that's unlikely to be a great solo hobby either, seems a bit dangerous.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Methanar posted:

i unironically want to try painting even though I was constantly told that enjoying things or wanting to do anything was gay when I was a kid.

Than go for it! Painting is cool as all hell.

Those Bob Ross painting tutorial things on Youtube are really good, but you can just do whatever strikes your fancy.

You could probably pick stuff up at walmart and/or target or whatever. Might be a dedicated art store in your town/city/whatever.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Methanar posted:

if you want to do easy paintings that actually look nice go with oils and watch some bob ross, unironically

the initial buy in is probably the largest but the results are worth it imo.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

if you want to do easy paintings that actually look nice go with oils and watch some bob ross, unironically

the initial buy in is probably the largest but the results are worth it imo.

I'd start small, maybe like the 3 primary colors and then white and mix everything myself. I have no idea anything about what kind of paper you need, brush types, densities.
Is there any sort of intro guide to painting

Still not sure where you'd actually buy this stuff. Michaels?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Methanar posted:

I'd start small, maybe like the 3 primary colors and then white and mix everything myself. I have no idea anything about what kind of paper you need, brush types, densities.
Is there any sort of intro guide to painting

Still not sure where you'd actually buy this stuff. Michaels?

for bob ross style you need white to start - you slather the whole thing with thinned white before you begin to help with blending and stuff later

you use canvas which is cheaper than it sounds, although there might be some heavy HEAVY paper that would stand up to it. most wal marts do have canvases, I think, but maybe not oil paints themselves

be careful with rags you’ve used with thinner because they can spontaneously ignite

if you wanna go cheap you could always try acrylics instead but making anything decent looking with acrylics is hard imo

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Methanar posted:

be gay

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
there's a michaels right by me so I'll try that tomorrow. they advertise themselves as arts/crafts, never been inside though.

I have a lot of paper plates I need to use so those should be good for color mixing. looks like bob ross has a some sort of straight edge paint scraper thing he likes so I'll get one of those too.

does the type of brush material matter?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
OP you don't sound boring but you could stand to pick up a few new hobbies

- pick all of the fruits you can before the frost comes. Every single one
- Freeze them
- Bake. Pies or fruit cobblers are great ways to use them up. Cobbler with a little bit of ice cream is one of the best enjoyment:effort ratios imaginable
- Plants. Grow plants. I've start doing some indoor ivy, mint, spider plant, and pothos in the last few years, and I've found it really fascination/gratifying. As a 20-30-something dude, this is slightly unusual, and that just makes it better
- Bake other stuff - I've been making my own pizzas from scratch, including the doughs, and it doesn't take that much time. Less than an hour, from start to finish, including cleanup and extra ingredient frying.
- Crochet?
- Learn to code. Do a project, don't just follow tutorials
- Sculpting, like with clay

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

ante posted:

OP you don't sound boring but you could stand to pick up a few new hobbies

- pick all of the fruits you can before the frost comes. Every single one
- Freeze them
- Bake. Pies or fruit cobblers are great ways to use them up. Cobbler with a little bit of ice cream is one of the best enjoyment:effort ratios imaginable
- Plants. Grow plants. I've start doing some indoor ivy, mint, spider plant, and pothos in the last few years, and I've found it really fascination/gratifying. As a 20-30-something dude, this is slightly unusual, and that just makes it better
- Bake other stuff - I've been making my own pizzas from scratch, including the doughs, and it doesn't take that much time. Less than an hour, from start to finish, including cleanup and extra ingredient frying.
- Crochet?
- Learn to code. Do a project, don't just follow tutorials
- Sculpting, like with clay

this is a good idea. I can probably get like 3-4lb of plums.

Apples don't freeze though, do they? I tried eating some apples after frost last year and they weren't great

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

okay I went out and picked some fruit. I'll get more later.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Methanar posted:

this is a good idea. I can probably get like 3-4lb of plums.

Apples don't freeze though, do they? I tried eating some apples after frost last year and they weren't great

Apples don't freeze, but they keep very well. If your apples don't taste good out of hand, learn how to make cider or apple butter or something.

Edit: freezing apples is fine if you're cooking them, they just get a weird texture when raw after you freeze them

pnumoman fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 18, 2020

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Zippy the Bummer posted:

you can watch the Gebnalsds lose becasuse they suck

Why cant you hold your loving liquor

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Play the pee game

Hang out, watch tv, drink beer. When you have to pee, take a shot. Then pee. Then go back to what you were doing.

Repeat until you pass out.

It's a game!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

apples don’t freeze but you can refrigerate them almost indefinitely in a plastic bag

that’s why like, you can buy apples year round even though they are only harvestable in the fall

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Play the pee game

Hang out, watch tv, drink beer. When you have to pee, take a shot. Then pee. Then go back to what you were doing.

Repeat until you pass out.

It's a game!

I don't drink alcohol at home.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

apples don’t freeze but you can refrigerate them almost indefinitely in a plastic bag

that’s why like, you can buy apples year round even though they are only harvestable in the fall

i thought this worked by alternating importing apples and other seasonal fruit from the north vs southern hemisphere at varying latitudes so its always in season somewhere.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Methanar posted:

i thought this worked by alternating importing apples and other seasonal fruit from the north vs southern hemisphere at varying latitudes so its always in season somewhere.

THat's the case for most things, but not apples. Apples can last for like a year in certain conditions, it's magical

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/11/26/668256349/thanks-to-science-you-can-eat-an-apple-every-day

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Methanar posted:

I don't drink alcohol at home.

Okay so buy some hamsters and build them some weird tube structures

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

ante posted:

THat's the case for most things, but not apples. Apples can last for like a year in certain conditions, it's magical

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/11/26/668256349/thanks-to-science-you-can-eat-an-apple-every-day

I'm surprised this scale of mass and long term energy-intensive refrigeration is economically better than the follow the season model of other fruits. Produce has like, a 3% profit margin.

Neat though.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
im tired. going to go sleep while its still thursday night. Had some pretty messed up nightmares last night, couldn't remember any of them by morning though.

I'll save the rest of my fruit picking for tomorrow

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
fishing is a relatively cheap hobby that is very relaxing and meditative. spent like $100 on a license and basic gear. I go for 2-3 hours at a time maybe once or twice a week. Its an excuse to find a secluded spot, smoke a bit and drink a tallboy and stare at the water for a couple hours. maybe I'll catch a couple fish to immediately throw them back in. its nice

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Fill your underpants with flour

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Unfinish3d posted:

fishing is a relatively cheap hobby that is very relaxing and meditative. spent like $100 on a license and basic gear. I go for 2-3 hours at a time maybe once or twice a week. Its an excuse to find a secluded spot, smoke a bit and drink a tallboy and stare at the water for a couple hours. maybe I'll catch a couple fish to immediately throw them back in. its nice

But if you eat the fish instead, you will gain it's powers

the powers are mostly surviving low level mercury poisoning

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

OP I do kart practice on Thursday nights. I’m pretty sure the kart club up in Edmonton does as well although you have to deal with “Uncle Jimmy” so ymmv on how enjoyable that is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm partial to laying down and waiting for death. it's very popular nowadays.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Methanar posted:

MSPAint :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Methanar posted:

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxcnsr1R5Ge_fbTu5ajt8DQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCwGOMloBPk