Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I’ve been bonding with my dad more, doing very father-son things like working on my beat up car and squeezing more life out of it. A lot of these car repairs are straightforward, or would be, if half our time wasn’t spent finding a certain tool to remove something from my car. This also happened when we were trying to paint my PC case and my dad couldn’t find his rotary buffing thing either. His organization sucks and I’m wondering if there’s any idiotproof organizers or systems in place to force him to keep some semblance of order. Seems like getting him something like that would be a unglamorous, albeit potentially time saving gift?

Thanks dads, and children of dads who have input on this age old problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

pick two of his favorite wrenches and paint on one of them the number 1 and on the other one the number 3. he will be so busy looking for his number 2 wrench that you will have time to organize all of his tools for him!

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Here are two items that may help you out:

https://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Tool...d-tools&sr=1-11

https://www.amazon.com/Keter-240762...d-tools&sr=1-28

Enjoy your time with your dad, that's good quality time together.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
A pegboard in whatever shithole he keeps his tools at. In my case, his garage.

It's still horribly disorganized but at least there's a hammer and a few things that get used once every few years on the pegs!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
How many tools does he have and what sort of tools? What's the space the live in like?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
watch some new Yankee workshop specifically the gazebo episode

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

idk if i wanted my dad to like me more i probably would not start by rearranging his tool bench

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
post pics of his disorganized tool space on social media

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
get him a subscription to Harrys Razors

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Whoa you're allowed near the tools? My dad banned me from the garage when I was a kid and said maybe some day I'd be worthy. Still waiting.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Get a labeler and label a place for everything

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

neatly stack as many tools as possible into a jenga like structure so the next time he grabs one they all fall into a huge pile. he will have no CHOICE but to organize them then.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

My father organised all cables into a cable box rather than storing them with the device they belonged to, ranging from the 70s to the modern day. I hope this gives you some perspective on your dad troubles op.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
my dad discovered the tool that let him no longer be bound by 3D physics and god damnit him being in 4D is a total pain in the rear end.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Mr Teatime posted:

My father organised all cables into a cable box rather than storing them with the device they belonged to, ranging from the 70s to the modern day. I hope this gives you some perspective on your dad troubles op.

We moved house recently and my partner did this while unpacking. It took some time to remedy the situation.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

yoloer420 posted:

We moved house recently and my partner did this while unpacking. It took some time to remedy the situation.

While UNpacking?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

buglord posted:

I’m wondering if there’s any idiotproof organizers or systems in place to force him to keep some semblance of order.

No. Keeping things organized and put away properly is entirely about mental state and habits.

If you want to keep things organized you can do it without elaborate toolchests, pegboards, or whatnot. The pegboard is nice because it keeps everything ready to hand, the rolling multi-drawer toolchest is great when you have so many tools that you need a different drawer for the left-handed wrenches. If you aren't an organized person the pegboards are empty, the drawers full of random crap, and the tool you need is under a pile of other junk on the workbench.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Do you have any wall space for peg board? Any room to build a workbench along a wall for 6' at maybe 18-24" deep?

Pegboard is great for hanging just about any tool for organized and easy access. You just need about 4-6 feet horizontal and 3 feet high along the wall. There's half your tools on the wall. Readily visible and at hand.

Workbench gets the table level for working on stuff, but a lower shelf about 10" off the floor gives you plenty of stash place for power tools and other shop junk. Again, you want about 6' run though.

Other than that, you can get those plastic storage cabinets at Home Depot and such. Something 6' tall with a few shelves and a couple of doors and somewhat weatherproof can hold a ton of stuff.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Klyith posted:

Keeping things organized and put away properly is entirely about mental state and habits.

I also entirely agree with this statement. If the discipline to keep the shop in order is not there, it will go to hell within a year no matter what you do.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Have your dad hold a flashlight for you and then scream at him until he cries.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
a big part of organization that no one seems to follow is keeping stuff you use all the time separate from stuff you use once in a while. applies to home furnishing too. get that goddamn waffle iron off the kitchen counter

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

gary oldmans diary posted:

a big part of organization that no one seems to follow is keeping stuff you use all the time separate from stuff you use once in a while. applies to home furnishing too. get that goddamn waffle iron off the kitchen counter

Pegboard for the most-used, tool chest for the rest. But as others have noted you gotta stick to it.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
get a big rear end breaker bar and use it to beat your father op

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Cool I'mma head over to your house and re-arrange your kitchen

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
tell him u wont suck his dick anymore lmao

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Wow just openly bragging about having a dad in 2020 like some kinda of normo. Why don't you just have dinner and brush your teeth too, loving human.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

2 words OP:

Assisted Living

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

Internetjack posted:

I also entirely agree with this statement. If the discipline to keep the shop in order is not there, it will go to hell within a year no matter what you do.

There are workarounds. Just one huge bench that you put stuff on prevents stuff from getting (as) buried.