Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Problem description: I've just bought a new pre-built PC and my connection speed has gone to poo poo on it. I was previously hitting 75 MBPS on my old computer and still do on the other PC in the house and now it's stuck at 25 MBPS max, this is the same either through the powerline ethernet connection I usually use or a full bar WiFi connection.

Attempted fixes: I've tried:

- Downloading all system updates.

- Running a malware scan.

- Doing a network reset.

- Uninstalling Malwarebytes.

- Disabling Window auto-tuning in the Command Prompt panel.

- Disabling Windows Firewall.

so at this point I've hit the limit of my technical expertise and all the solutions suggested through google. Any advice or suggestions on what may be causing this bottleneck would be greatly appreciated.

Recent changes: n/a new PC

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64 bit

System specs: Manufacturer: Scan. Model number: 3XS Gamer iCUE RTX. Specs: Ryzen 3900X, 16GB Ram, AMD B450, RTX 3080.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

update:

I briefly solved the problem by disabling QoS packet management and manually changing the Speed & Duplex setting under Ethernet Configuration from auto to 1GBPS Full Duplex, this actually increased my download speed to 60MBPS, but on restart though the settings remained the same it was back down to 20MBPS. So what could be overiding the changes I made to the ethernet connection to make it suck again?

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Take a peek at the network tab of the Resource Monitor (I usually launch it straight from the start menu). Regardless of how much traffic it shows, can you try to list whatever is in there that's not either part of windows or your browser? (sorry you gotta google all the .exe names)
Can you tell us more about what powerline ethernet hardware you're using exactly? Are you using the exact same power strip and ethernet adapter as you otherwise would? Is USB involved?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

snorch posted:

Take a peek at the network tab of the Resource Monitor (I usually launch it straight from the start menu). Regardless of how much traffic it shows, can you try to list whatever is in there that's not either part of windows or your browser? (sorry you gotta google all the .exe names)
Can you tell us more about what powerline ethernet hardware you're using exactly? Are you using the exact same power strip and ethernet adapter as you otherwise would? Is USB involved?

So aside from the system processes, Firefox and nVidia we have iCUE.exe & CueLLAccessService.exe (iCUE is the brand of the casing and runs the goofy disco lighting inside the PC) ArmourWebBrowser.exe & ArmourySocketServer.exe which I can't account for and doesn't turn up any programme results in the Start menu.

The powerline ethernet setup is exactly the same as it was with my last PC (plug socket adapter to ethernet cable to PC), I haven't changed a thing, literally just unplugged the ethernet cables out of the old PC and plugged in the new one with no other changes of equipment or plug socket (which is already directly plugged into the wall to resolve the issue I previously had with it plugged into my plug tower). The model is TP-Link TL-PA4010KIT