Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe it's just a test and eventually there will be a Rocket League Racing standalone game? A racing game with the Rocket League vehicle controls exactly as they are would be loving awesome.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

My son just got the ticket league season pass. It's there a way to cheese XP quick before the end of the season?

Is Rocket League Side Swipe a good option. I have a ton of downtime at work

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

RodShaft posted:

My son just got the ticket league season pass. It's there a way to cheese XP quick before the end of the season?

I think the fastest way to earn is to play 1v1. That way, you don't share the shots (which lead to XP) with any teammates?

Also, there is a bonus XP event going on until the end of the season, but other than that, I don't think you can do anything to boost your rank. :(

RodShaft posted:

Is Rocket League Side Swipe a good option. I have a ton of downtime at work

I have never played it. Sorry.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

side swipe is good, and much better with a controller connected via bluetooth or one of those phone/controller peripherals like the Razer Kishi

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

BrewingTea posted:

I think the fastest way to earn is to play 1v1. That way, you don't share the shots (which lead to XP) with any teammates?

Also, there is a bonus XP event going on until the end of the season, but other than that, I don't think you can do anything to boost your rank. :(

I have never played it. Sorry.

I am not good enough to win a 1v1 on his account so that's right out. It looks like you get bonus XP when you win a game in rocket League for every level you earn in sideswipe(and vice versa). So I'll just grind that for him.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
The weekly/season challenges give a good hunk of XP for some trivial things, you can aim to hit some of those.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

AirRaid posted:

The weekly/season challenges give a good hunk of XP for some trivial things, you can aim to hit some of those.

I did this. Actually between him playing for real and me playing side swipe(it's actually not bad in solo) and driving around and randomly hitting the ball on my lunch, we got him to 57 already. We may power level my account next just in case I ever play in the future.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

the best thing to do is buy the season pass thing at the start of a new season (which is next Wednesday) and even if all you do is the weekly challenges you'll earn enough credits to never have to buy the pass again.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

It came free with Fortnite. I didn't plan it

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Hey so, I had to get one more fee quest done to get the season reward or whatever, I needed 5 more shots on goal. I got the shots on goal but didn't go back to the lobby to claim it, because they're was some time left and I wanted to try to get like one more level. The season ended when I was in a match. Do I just not get the season reward for getting 22/22 free things done since I didn't claim it?

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
RLCS starts back up today. It's a mess. They're making everyone do an open qualifier for the first stage of the first event. Theoretically a sponsored pro team can get knocked out by a team of plats in a best of 3.

PotatoJudge fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 26, 2024

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
rocket league smells and isn't fun anymore

RIP rocket league

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Nitr0 posted:

rocket league smells and isn't fun anymore

RIP rocket league

It had a pretty good run

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I feel like a lot of the problems I have with RL at the moment would be fixed by a hard MMR reset. Both ranked and Casual are a complete mess of players where I am. Champ is full of people who are either kinda dumb and seem like they’re still learning to aerial and also guys with GC/SSL titles who just loving dunk on actual champ level guys over and over with crazy aerial flip reset plays. There’s no consistency and hardly any actually good, competitive close games.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
When buddies and I get good balanced games in casual we end up mutually agreeing to rematch and do a best of 3 or even 7.

Most of the time casual is hard mode if you play it a lot where you contend with more smurfs, but sometimes they are cocky and you can own on someone with way more mechanics and that can be fun.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

My only fun games are casual now. Those are still sweaty and fast, and I get in those rematch streaks as well when it's a fun group.

After that hard reset for ranked, it's like I'm reaching into Willy Wonka's fun bag - there's no consistency or expectation I can have of my tm8. I know it's a matter of working through it as it all levels out again, but I just don't enjoy it anymore.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Look at this dead rear end thread for the best game ever made

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Holy gently caress how do I get better at this game I have 3600 hours of this game and I will never get grand champie

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
For mechanics: Grind free play or workshop maps using tips gathered on YouTube until you build car control skills and their associated muscle memory

For tactical knowledge: watch and apply tips from YouTube videos, play a lot of games to build game sense while also watching your own replays (maybe with a coach/community watching too) to better see misplays

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

I prefer to play for 9 years straight and never develop any new skills
:negative:

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

For mechanics: Grind free play or workshop maps using tips gathered on YouTube until you build car control skills and their associated muscle memory

For tactical knowledge: watch and apply tips from YouTube videos, play a lot of games to build game sense while also watching your own replays (maybe with a coach/community watching too) to better see misplays

There Are Not More Hours In The Day When I Could Grind Free Play More I Play Twelve Hours Every DAy

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't play for about a year and jumped back in this week, and kind of quickly remembered why I stopped. So here's my problem with the game and I'm sure I'm not alone. I don't even care about ranking up or becoming highly skilled. I play casually and just want to rank up to a point where your teammates at least understand and attempt basic teamwork and sportsmanship. In my past experience, this doesn't seem to happen until around Gold. Once you get to that point, the game is very fun an thrilling, but until then it kinda sucks. This is also why I don't enjoy the casual mode because everyone's just screwing around and it feels kind of pointless since there's no "stakes".

I don't think my skills have diminished that much, but holy gently caress every time I come back to the game it feels harder and harder to get to that point. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to get there and having match after match ruined by idiots trying to touch the ball as much as possible and ruining better shots, or hitting the ball toward YOUR goal because they just wanted to touch it, or rage quitting resulting in your team losing from the disadvantage. It's crazy to me that they allow matches where your team spends most of the match with less players to count against your rank.

I know it's always been like this, but the longer the game has been f2p it just seems to keep getting worse in this regard. I would gladly pay a premium price to not deal with constant season resets and not have to be matched with players just screwing around.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OTOH the rare occasions when your idiot teammates rage quit after 30 seconds but you actually beat the opposing team 1 vs 3 make it all worthwhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

"play a lot of games" is the part that I've always struggled with. I've sat around c1-2 for years now and I'm 100% sure I could get GC if I really grinded it out one season. But I just don't have it in me to grind that much ranked. Most ranked games I've played in a single season was like 100, and that ain't gonna cut it.

also 1v2ing people lower ranked than you is v fun and I kind of wish there was some sort of mode where you could do it, lol. It'd be a learning experience for both sides! (assuming the ranks are close enough for it to be a close match)