Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

Much better now, I rotated my bed 180 degrees and now my back feels much better in the mornings.
One weird trick the feng shui practitioners don't want you to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well when I bought the bed they said it was built so it had different strength springs in different locations that conformed to the contours of the body. I was wondering if I had it the wrong way and was sleeping with my back on the leg end so I flipped it around to see it made a difference.

Hard to say, feels better nowadays but not perfect wrt back pain. I will try the pillow thing and see if it helps, also a side sleeper.

What does work is taking an ibuprofen every night before sleep, but I don't think that's a good longterm solution.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I have Narcolepsy, which you might jokingly think means I sleep pretty well, but no, I frequently have awful insomnia, hypnogogic hallucinations, and hypnogogic jerks. When I get hypnic jerks, it's not one and done, I will get them continually, for hours at a time, sometimes minutes apart, sometimes seconds apart, while my brain angrily screams at me "hey, buddy you are gonna fall asleep right now" and then "lol, just kidding! Total alertness! But only for a second or two."

While I do not have cataplexy, I have fallen asleep in some very bad situations, leading to a few falls, and one time I fell asleep while pouring hot water into a cup for tea, and burned my hands.

I immediately dream, no matter how little I sleep. If I nod off on the bus, we might travel a block, but I would still have a dream. Usually the dream is just being on the bus but different people are sitting in different places.

I currently treat my disorder with armodafinil, which works wonders, but I wish I had it at the higher dose when I first started taking it, because one of the side effects was "mild euphoria", which is a pretty goddamn baller side effect.

I didn't get diagnosed until I was 30. Or thereabouts. I think symptoms started during my senior year of high school, which I cannot remember. I spent years being treated for depression, and taking medication, but nothing improved my mood like being treated for my disorder once it was found. It's frightening how much better my mind works now. I suddenly could remember things that I hadn't thought about in twenty years. Constant drowsiness made me dumb.

So like, get sleep studies if you have sleep problems. You might get help.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I haven’t slept more than 3 or 4 hours straight in probably 15 years. It’s great!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I've always been a lovely sleeper, I guess now that I'm starting to get old (35 a couple weeks back) all the sleep I never got is starting to catch up with me.

Doctor's appt on thursday so I can get a referral for a study!

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

back in college i had a solid routine of falling asleep before midnight and getting up 6-7am. then i graduated, tapered off of my antidepressants (may or may not be a factor), and found my sleep schedule steadily going to poo poo. so now i'm falling asleep between 2-7am, give or take.

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

Not good

I cycle, shifting my wake up time by two hours forward each day.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

I generally sleep like garbage - a cat walking on carpet is usually enough to wake me up. I've also discovered that my natural sleep cycle wants to be about 8am - noon, which just isn't possible with my current job. Over the years, I've found that chugging a pot of coffee or a bunch of tea (as caffeinated as possible) for some reason triggers my brain to think it's time to sleep. Current strategy is to combine that with forcing myself awake at 7am every day, to see if I can realign my schedule so that I'm asleep by 1am. So far it's just made me grumpy and tired and I think I did better sleeping from 3 or 4 am - 8am, so may go back to that.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
To the people wishing they had more nightmares: You don't want that. You really don't.

I have them so much now. My theory is that most people have nightmares fairly frequently, they just don't remember them in the morning, like how you can sometimes remember a dream if you wake up in the middle of it but wouldn't have otherwise. But I sleep so lightly that I have vivid dreams and vivid nightmares and I'm constantly aware of them. Sounds cool, right? But it's not the cool kind of vivid dream or anything remotely lucid. It basically feels like instead of sleeping you get strapped to a chair in front of a movie screen and forced to watch some poo poo that is either incredibly tedious or pulls up every miserable insecurity you have, and you cannot stop watching or do anything about it. And when you wake up you feel about as rested as if you really had spent 6 of your 8 hours watching lovely, mind numbing movies that you hate.

Like, "vivid dreams all the time" sounds really awesome until it's just, like, someone yelling at you while it's flooding outside and you have to pick up all your belongings from the shed before they get permanently ruined, with all the stress slash banality that entails. That's my average "vivid dream".

I wake up crying a lot, either from another nightmare or the frustration of sleeping like poo poo yet again. The sleep doctors shrugged and said "your test results looked super normal though! on paper you sleep great!" hahaha :suicide:

I really don't know what to do anymore. I have a followup with my sleep doctor in a few weeks, half-expecting to get a big shrug and "we can't help you anymore".

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

To the people wishing they had more nightmares: You don't want that. You really don't.

I have them so much now. My theory is that most people have nightmares fairly frequently, they just don't remember them in the morning, like how you can sometimes remember a dream if you wake up in the middle of it but wouldn't have otherwise. But I sleep so lightly that I have vivid dreams and vivid nightmares and I'm constantly aware of them. Sounds cool, right? But it's not the cool kind of vivid dream or anything remotely lucid. It basically feels like instead of sleeping you get strapped to a chair in front of a movie screen and forced to watch some poo poo that is either incredibly tedious or pulls up every miserable insecurity you have, and you cannot stop watching or do anything about it. And when you wake up you feel about as rested as if you really had spent 6 of your 8 hours watching lovely, mind numbing movies that you hate.

Like, "vivid dreams all the time" sounds really awesome until it's just, like, someone yelling at you while it's flooding outside and you have to pick up all your belongings from the shed before they get permanently ruined, with all the stress slash banality that entails. That's my average "vivid dream".

I wake up crying a lot, either from another nightmare or the frustration of sleeping like poo poo yet again. The sleep doctors shrugged and said "your test results looked super normal though! on paper you sleep great!" hahaha :suicide:

I really don't know what to do anymore. I have a followup with my sleep doctor in a few weeks, half-expecting to get a big shrug and "we can't help you anymore".
There are anti-nightmare drugs out there. One of my friends was on them for awhile. If the doctor doesn't mention it in the followup, ask.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

There are anti-nightmare drugs out there. One of my friends was on them for awhile. If the doctor doesn't mention it in the followup, ask.

Thank you. I will do this.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I have nightmares almost every night and scream, kick and shake that my gf has to go sleep in the sofa pretty much every day. Told my doctor this the other day and she just told me there is nothing to be done. Been like this for many years. So pretty bad.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
A friend of mine had nightmares almost every night (likely related to PTSD). Prescription-grade CBD/other weed products have cut the nightmares down to normal levels or less. YMMV

dirby fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 18, 2021

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea if you want to stop dreaming all together just smoke weed every day

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I started taking a magnesium supplement. About a gram of magnesium citrate and I've been sleeping through the night which I couldn't do before. It's been one week of sleeping through the night. I'm not sure by what mechanism it's working but something has changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've had chronic sleep disorders since I was in early elementary school. I've chalked it up to a mix of being on the spectrum, having abusive parents, regularly kept up all night until dawn from loud house parties my entire childhood, nerve issues and chronic pain from a connective tissue disorder, eating food without realizing I had an intolerance, anxiety, night terrors, just a whole loving whack of problems. Might have narcolepsy too, but I'm only just starting to look into it. I get weird severe fatigue and weakness episodes during the day sometimes.

I used to try and use alcohol to self-medicate myself to sleep, but that doesn't work. Now I use zopiclone. Best I've slept my whole life, but now I wake up in even more physical pain because falling asleep in a bad position doesn't wake me up after an hour like it used to, so I cramp up worse.