Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

Chrs posted:

https://chrsgr.itch.io/escapedash

I finally published a game guys
oh hell yeah, this is super fun! my high score is 188m

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

Hello all, I haven't been posting much in this thread. But I've been making games!

This will be a card game. I know that the screenshot is wretched to look at because of all the nonsensical white text; but soon I hope to replace all that with pretty HUD icons.

Anyway, I haven't seen many CYOAs in byob lately, but if there are any that I missed, you're welcome to let me know, and I can add them to the OP. I think it's fun to keep a list of these things :)

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

blaise rascal posted:

Hello all, I haven't been posting much in this thread. But I've been making games!

This will be a card game. I know that the screenshot is wretched to look at because of all the nonsensical white text; but soon I hope to replace all that with pretty HUD icons.

Anyway, I haven't seen many CYOAs in byob lately, but if there are any that I missed, you're welcome to let me know, and I can add them to the OP. I think it's fun to keep a list of these things :)

i love the graphics, it hits me right in the old school rpg nostalgia vibes

Prurient Squid

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I was sort of working on a game at one point but I never got beyond the spitballing stage

The Klowner

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blaise rascal posted:

I'm likin those owls

blaise rascal

ty for the compliments! On my projects these days, I am trying to make a conscious effort not to put off the art until the last minute. That way I get in more art practice overall, plus the work-in-progress doesn't look like hideous programmer art when I show it off to people. (The downside is that I may need to throw art away if the gameplay changes, but c'est la vie)

wimsy

Is that a moon and will the phase of the moon have a global effect on gameplay because that would be cool

blaise rascal

Prurient Squid posted:

I was sort of working on a game at one point but I never got beyond the spitballing stage

this looks very good and i want to play it

wimsy posted:

Is that a moon and will the phase of the moon have a global effect on gameplay because that would be cool
yeah it's a moon, though the graphics may change. maybe the phase of the moon will matter, but i will only implement that mechanic if i have time, and only if i think it would improve the game! as you can see by all the text in the screen shot, there are already a lot of mechanics, so i wanna avoid complexity / feature creep. still, there are outstanding problems that need solving in the design, and if i can solve some of them by tying something to the phases of the moon, i agree that would be a mechanic with a lot of, like, gaming joy

Prurient Squid

blaise rascal posted:

this looks very good and i want to play it

Thanks a lot. I went back to it for the first time in years and now I'm wondering if I can work Hyman Minsky's Financial Instability Hypothesis into the game.

blaise rascal

Uh, I finished that game from a few posts ago. It's called Knight Owls. This one's pretty bizarre.

It's a card-based roguelike, similar to Slay the Spire, but with MANY differences from that game. Is Knight Owls good? Probably not; I think it wound up a little too luck-based and hard, while not giving the player enough opportunities to make a synergistic deck. But there's nothing else quite like it, and it was a lot of fun to make!

Click here to try it out, if you want. https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/knight-owls

e: Oh yeah, and Knight Owls was made since day one to run not ONLY in-browser, but on a Game Boy Advance as well! You can test this out if you have a flash cartridge like the EZ Flash Omega. There is a whole community based around making original games for the Game Boy Advance, and they were able to help me make Knight Owls a reality!

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 29, 2021

biosterous

i have enjoyed knight owls

one upon a time my first thought on waking up was "tandem pinball" and i think that should be a thing

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

blaise rascal

biosterous posted:

i have enjoyed knight owls

one upon a time my first thought on waking up was "tandem pinball" and i think that should be a thing
whoa what if one player controls the right lever and someone else controls the left lever

blaise rascal

(also i just updated knight owls. it should be a bit easier to complete now)

biosterous

i had some thoughts about tandem pinball right before falling asleep and shockingly did not forget them all!

- general shape of table is upside-down Y, one player on each arm
- each player has one regular-sized ball that stays on their side of the field, but there's a smaller ball that can get passed over
-- various ways to do that: gates being triggered by weight, holes that are too small for the regular ball but big enough for the small on, maybe magnets or something
- cool double-helix ramps in the middle connecting the two sides, because this is the Evolution of Pinball (tm)

if just one person is playing then i guess it would just use the regular ball and be normal pinball but once PLayer 2 joins it activates the shared stuff

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Prurient Squid

Prurient Squid posted:

Hello friends.

Do you guys really want me to make this? I mean, I've done 0% of the work and have no idea how to make a game but if there's interest I could just give it a good old try! Like, why not I guess?

blaise rascal

biosterous posted:

i had some thoughts about tandem pinball right before falling asleep and shockingly did not forget them all!

- general shape of table is upside-down Y, one player on each arm
- each player has one regular-sized ball that stays on their side of the field, but there's a smaller ball that can get passed over
-- various ways to do that: gates being triggered by weight, holes that are too small for the regular ball but big enough for the small on, maybe magnets or something
- cool double-helix ramps in the middle connecting the two sides, because this is the Evolution of Pinball (tm)

if just one person is playing then i guess it would just use the regular ball and be normal pinball but once PLayer 2 joins it activates the shared stuff
Battle pinball is definitely an idea with promise, I think. Personally, I'd rather the board be a triangular prism than an upside down Y because then you can choose what direction to shoot. Lemme explain

I'm no pinball expert, but I do know that in regular single-player pinball you can control the ball direction

The issue with an upside down Y (if I'm understanding your design correctly) is that you can only fire in one direction, reducing the things the player can do

So that's why I like this "triangular prism" shape might be preferable. You can choose what direction to shoot, and if you get it over the hump, it starts pestering your opponent. idk, just brainstorming

Prurient Squid posted:

Hello friends.

Do you guys really want me to make this? I mean, I've done 0% of the work and have no idea how to make a game but if there's interest I could just give it a good old try! Like, why not I guess?

I think it's a fun idea! Go for it! My one recommendation would be to make the gameplay first, THEN the story. Story elements such as dialog systems may be cool, but they can be surprisingly time-consuming to make, and if you focus on them, you risk getting burnt out by the time you actually want to work on the game... Good luck!

Prurient Squid

Hmm... I think I'll aim for a milder more family friendly version of the Bank Princess game without any deaths or machiavellianism. Also probably there'll be romance options.

Prurient Squid

Actually a base game is coming into view of a multiturn three phase game where you get Yes/No options that make numbers go up and down and if you run out of money you die. I think if I make that structure and then worry about balancing the game and then the story and art last that would be prudent.

blaise rascal

Prurient Squid posted:

Actually a base game is coming into view of a multiturn three phase game where you get Yes/No options that make numbers go up and down and if you run out of money you die. I think if I make that structure and then worry about balancing the game and then the story and art last that would be prudent.
Go for it!!!!! Gamedev is tough but it is a lot of fun, imo. Let me know if you need help with anything.

blaise rascal

I've added BFM's cool new environmental ARG to the OP...

https://www.descendantsofearth.com/

Prurient Squid

I should get back to this soon. It'd be good if I could work out what I was doing last time I stopped. Getting vaxxed tommorow. Might be a bit unfocused for a few days.

blaise rascal

Bumping this thread so it doesn't go into the archive. I want to be able to continue updating the OP...

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
myself and a chum made this a couple of years ago. we never finished it, as we failed to get publisher backing. also it's a bit too weird
https://blepco-games.itch.io/loot-brute

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

nut

Dr. Honked posted:

myself and a chum made this a couple of years ago. we never finished it, as we failed to get publisher backing. also it's a bit too weird

holy poo poo this owns

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

nut posted:

holy poo poo this owns

why thank you kind byorb

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

blaise rascal

Dr. Honked posted:

whoa this is awesome. i've added it to the op. thanks for sharing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid

I looked for this thread at one point and I thought it was lost!!!

Anyway, I haven't worked on my thing since August of last year apparently. Might get back to it at some point idk.